• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fried Rav...

A special thanks to Matt (MGOLD86) for sending out some powder....smoked that is...

Eggs, " Smoked Bhut, Scorpion and Kitchen Sink powders", Parsley, Semolina, "00" Flour, Salt, Pepper, White Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar, Asiago, and Ricotta Cheeses, Seasoned Breadcrumbs, Olive Oil, Buttermilk, Homemade Marinara.

Sift 2 cups of "00" Flour with 1.5 cups of Semolina. Add a touch of Salt and Pepper and sprinkle 1 tbl of "Smoked Scorpion" powder. Make a well in the middle and add 4 Eggs with a tbl of Olive Oil. Mix the Eggs with a fork and gradually incorporate the flour until the dough becomes dry and stringy. Start to scrap and Kneed the dough.

Continue to Kneed the dough until it becomes silky, usually about 10 min. If the dough is somewhat dry add a bit of water. Wrap dough in plastic wrap for at least 1 hr or place in the fridge overnight.

Place 1 cup of each of the Cheeses into a bowl. Add an egg and a pinch of Salt and Pepper. I also added 1 tbl of "Smoked Bhut" powder. Mix all together and keep bowl in the fridge until needed.

Remove dough from plastic wrap, dust disc and board or pastry stone with Semolina. Divide disc into 6 wedges.

You could do this whole procedure with a rolling pin and a cutting wheel but I decided to break out the old "Atlas" pasta machine.....this thing is probably older than Hercules.....lol. Flatten the dough and dust with flour. I rolled starting with the #1 setting and finished with the #5. For larger 3" Ravioli's I would have stopped at the previous setting to keep the dough slightly thicker. That works better when braising in a red sauce.

Ok, I'm either being lazy or cheating on the works....but I decided to use a Ravioli cutting try to keep the sizing uniform. Lay one layer of dough, use template to form wells and add the Chees filing. Place a second layer of dough over the top and roll out with a pin or dowel. The pieces will seperate making for easy removlal.. Dust Ravioli's and place on a sheet pan............take a slug of a drink.......ah

Pour about 2 cups of Buttermilk in a bowl with a touch of salt and pepper and I added 0ne tsp of Matt's "Kitchen Sink" powder. Add 3 cups of Breadcrumbs to another bowl, also adding one tsp of "KS" powder. Dip Ravioli's, one at a time into Buttermilk then in the Breadcrumbs. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Whether using Crumbs, Corn Meal or Flour, it helps to fridge the items to help the coating adhire before frying.

Bring oil up to 350 , deep fry in batches until "toastie" looking about 2 min. The Rav and be kept warm in a 200 degree oven until the process is completed.

Here's the plating photo ...Fried Ravioli with Marinara...
Thanks again to Matt (MGOLD) for sending out the spice.

Husker21 said:
Really nicely done. Beautiful looking pasta.
  Thanks the addition of the smoked powder gave a nice color to the pasta.....next time " Zuppa Di Pesce" with peppered Linguine
HopsNBarley said:
Awesome! 
We had homemade fried mozza balls breaded in Panko tonight.  Those ravioli woulda went well with them.
On point!

Now that sounds like a winner !
Panko has that crunch ....that Crumbs, Meal or Flour can compare with...
"Motz with some Hotz"...

I have cranked out some stellar food... Enough so that I was toying with starting a catering company. But I have never done fresh pasta. And I am 100% guinea. I even have my great grandmas oversized wood board and rolling pin she used. Been doing my own whole wheat pizza dough lately.

Post up some pics of that zuppa when you get it going. :)

And I thought I could cook ... simply awesome Greg, wish I would have been there to try it. Here I'm getting ready to call it a night and now I'm hungry, lolz. Great process, detail and pictures. Should be simple for me to follow and make ;)

Back