• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphids - poison them, or just let them be?

Hi,

I have a slight aphid problem on most of my plants. They look really healthy, but I just hate to see the little buggers sucking the life out of the flowers/buds.

Should I just let them be - expecting some natural enemy to take care of them (I have some ladybugs here and there on the plants), or just use some toxic stuff on them? I don't really like all this bio solutions (they either stink up the place, leave an oil residue and for most of it don't really work)? So it's either some kind of poison, or nothing at all - what would you recomend?

Thanks!

kill them i started out with a few and let the lady bugs take care of them but they multiplied to fast for the lady bugs and thats when i had to step in and take action dont let them be they could infest your plant

I leave them be normally.  If a very heavy infestation pluck the leaf and squish.  Spray with a hose to knock them off.  Let natural predators take care of them.

millworkman said:
I leave them be normally.  If a very heavy infestation pluck the leaf and squish.  Spray with a hose to knock them off.  Let natural predators take care of them.

I keep hosing them down, but they seem to always get back on the plant/s... Or I miss them (??)

if you want to over winter than I would suggest kill them off with whatever is most effective, if not just do a little spray and let them be. aphids can easily overwhelm your plants when they go inside.

If you want your plants to be productive you're going to have to keep the aphids under control. A few hear and there probably won't hurt too much the problem is a few can turn into many in a very short time. If you can spray them off with a hose on a daily basis you could be alright. Me personally I hate the bastages and nuke them at first sign.

What would work best at nuking them? I want something that will kill them for sure (even if it kills all the beneficials as well - they are not that many anyway), maybe even kill other pests, like mites - didn't see any but better make sure. If possible I would like something that won't stress the plant too much (I have pods in most of them).

Thanks!

ebh said:
What would work best at nuking them? I want something that will kill them for sure (even if it kills all the beneficials as well - they are not that many anyway), maybe even kill other pests, like mites - didn't see any but better make sure. If possible I would like something that won't stress the plant too much (I have pods in most of them).

Thanks!
I had very good luck with Neem oil.

I shoot them in the head with a pump-gun on first sight ...

...then I step on them, burn them, cook them in sulfur acid, burn them again and feed their ashes to the fish. 

... then I deep fry the fish and eat them  :D

cheers, Al

BeerPimp said:
I had very good luck with Neem oil.

I've had two mild infestations this year and hit my plants with Dyna-Gro neem oil and a little bit of dish soap. It killed them all with the first application. Last year aphids tore a few of my plants to shreds early in the summer so I even take a chance anymore. If I see one I spray.

Capt Poopiepants said:

I've had two mild infestations this year and hit my plants with Dyna-Gro neem oil and a little bit of dish soap. It killed them all with the first application. Last year aphids tore a few of my plants to shreds early in the summer so I even take a chance anymore. If I see one I spray.
I was impressed I applied the neem oil and saw some straglers.  I was going to reaply after about 4-5 days but they were all dead.  Have not come back.  It was the first year for aphids for me.

Back