• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

scotch bonnet cross or ...?

This is my first attempt at growing yellow scotch bonnets. I got some seed, and after a failed attempt, I got a couple of plants going. The one on the right is "big sun" the one and looks as I expect it to. The plant on the left should be "foodarama," but I'm guessing it's either a seed mix-up or a hybrid. It came up as the one purple seedling out of three, but it was the one that survived.
SBcomparison.jpg

The right-hand plant looks to me like a typical C. chinense: large leaves and multiple flowers at the nodes.
sbflowercluster.jpg

The left-hand plant has leaves that seemed pretty wide and shiny, and at first I thought it was going to be a pure chinense, but looking at the side-by-side comparison with its mate, it does have decidedly smaller leaves. Also, it has only two flowers per node--not like the other plant which has four to six.
purplequestion.jpg

So I'm wondering now if this plant is from a foodarama mother (seed parent) and a purple C. annuum father (pollen parent). Flowers have a bit of a purple tinge--not surprising given the amount of purple that's in the foliage.

The other possibility is that this is just a purple-type C. annuum, whose seed got mixed into the scotch bonnet seeds.

Fruit characteristics still TBD.

Ideas?

Back