• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Giant Habanero?

Last year I went to a save a lot store and found some habaneros, I got 3 or 4 pods to extract the seeds to plant. A year later (this year) I had three plants from those seeds to successfully produce peppers. Two of the plants have averaged sized habaneros, but one has noticeably larger pods. 3 inches long, 2 inches wide and with a circumference of 5 and a half inches. I bought some habanero plants from a nursery and the pods look tiny compared to the ones from this plant... I was wondering if this was a hybrid or just a plant with genes for bigger habaneros. I've only had one of the big ones to ripen, and its a redder color than my nursery habaneros, I'll post a picture if I figure out how, but if I can't I hope the description is enough

well first Welcome to the site and it sounds like you might have a cross or sometimes peppers are elongated if they are the first couple on the plant are any normal is size and shape on the plant? if so its just elongation, but if they are all the same its probably a cross of something they were growing in the field that year.

As for the taste, I haven't tasted the ripe one yet, but the green one I had wasn't near as fruity as my bought plants were, it's about the same heat though, maybe a little less, it almost tastes like extremely spicy lettuce...

And for the elongation, all the pods are larger than the average habanero, not so much longer, just thicker .. They seem more wrinkled too with a thinner skin, not shiny like most habaneros, I'd post a picture but I can't find where to add one
Well, I uploaded a picture of it to my Dropbox, so here is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0im4chekcv3ixrp/2013-08-04%2022.32.51.jpg

It is a nursery habanero on the right with the ripe big one on the left

Welcome to THP.                                                                              From St. Aug.

tumblr_lh3is5661B1qh0wabo1_500.jpg

Matt Russell said:
Alright, thanks, have any idea what it could have crossed with? The leaves of the plants are pretty large, so a bell maybe?
Do you have a photo of the plant?

The dirt? Yea it's not the best, it's mostly clay and sand, does surprisingly well though, i have 31 hot pepper plants and cayenne does the best, leave the dirt packed down because if I tilled it regularly all the moisture would escape. I'm in Mississippi, and in the summer it's not unusual to go 3 or more weeks without rain, with 100 degree days and extremely high humidity, and as for a side view picture, I can get one
Here it is, https://www.dropbox.com/s/d63t3e8ch4vgh3i/2013-08-05%2010.11.56.jpg
Just now realized how short and wide the plant is, it's wider than it is tall

The side on view gives more of an impression of the plant being C.chinense than view of the top of the canopy.

Perhaps report back on the flavour after trying some more ripe pods.

Have you ever tasted any well known red C.chinense varieties?

No, just orange... I just tasted the ripe one, and let me tell you, it is HOT, not like a flavorful hot, just a painful hot, it's like it has no flavor but capsaicin, I usually can take habaneros but this one I had to get some milk...

Oh, my mistake. I thought that nice canopy was hiding a container, i see you are planted directly in the ground.

Quick draining you say? Then going by the looks of that plant and it's production, it must be good stuff to grow in.

Jetchuka said:
Oh, my mistake. I thought that nice canopy was hiding a container, i see you are planted directly in the ground.

Quick draining you say? Then going by the looks of that plant and it's production, it must be good stuff to grow in.
I have had better luck growing in the ground vs in containers, it's a lot less hassle and the peppers seem to be able to expand their roots as far as they want to get nutrients, plus the dry spells stress the plant enough to go ahead and get the peppers to ripen.

Back