• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Specialty Hot Sauce Throwdown

Best Specialty (Hot) Sauce - SEE 1st POST FOR VOTING INSTRUCTIONS!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
PLEASE VOTE FOR WHO MADE THE BEST SPECIALTY HOT SAUCE for the meal prepared, and not who executed the best meal. The meal was to showcase the sauce, so, for example, if you see a steak sauce that you think is the best specialty sauce, but the steak in the picture is overdone, that does not matter! You can cook your steak however you want, and you can replicate the sauce and add it to yours. There are exact measurements with the sauces so you can do just that. The meal is what is recommended for the sauce made. So vote for what you think works the best, and what you would replicate.

Same with the dessert sauce. Vote for the sauce that works the best with what was prepared, and not what was prepared.

Awesome TD y'all!

had to do a coin toss on the dessert.

best of three toss to see who was heads/tails.

best of three between Phil and Rocketman...

and the coin said:

Rocketman!

also likes Jedisushi's as well.

Wow all, what a Throw Down! I would love to have all of theses sauces bottled and in my fridge!

JediSushi, you had me at Tamari, Garlic and Beer. way to go buddy!

Dessert Sauce??? One word...

ROCKETMANSCHOCOLATE!!!!!

Chocolate. Chocolate. Chocolate. Thanks RM for making that one easy! lol

Great Job everyone!

I'm going for bold ethnic flavors... let me bathe in that mole whilst eating a chocolate curry crepe a la mode in the tub.

Good job everyone. A lot of steak sauces but I'm very particular about what I put on a steak. Runner up for me is jedisushi06 but I see that as more of a BBQ/grilling sauce, and a good one! If you hadn't said that was a steak sauce I may have hit the button.

The Hot Pepper said:
I'm going for bold ethnic flavors... let me bathe in that mole whilst eating a chocolate curry crepe a la mode in the tub.

Good job everyone. A lot of steak sauces but I'm very particular about what I put on a steak. Runner up for me is jedisushi06 but I see that as more of a BBQ/grilling sauce, and a good one! If you hadn't said that was a steak sauce I may have hit the button.
steak sauce for sure.  goes on after you grill a steak.

PS. Scovie I also dig that fajita-style presentation for the sauce. That's a great grilling idea. You get the taste of the grill and the mole in each bite.

jedisushi06 said:
steak sauce for sure.  goes on after you grill a steak.

Sorry man no sweet sauces on my steaks.

I can dig it THP! I went waaaaay out on a limb (for me and my Mole) by doing that.
Thats how I eat most of my Mexican dishes... 1/4 torn corn tortilla as a spoon.
I also know that taking pictures of the way I typically make Mole would look like a bowl of green sauce with lumps in it.
Similar to what a bowl of chili or soup looks like in a photo, lol.

I am anxious to make this recipe with white and dark meat chicken simmered in the sauce they way I always do it!

I am going to wait for a Fresh 7 Pot or maybe try some of the smoked yellow 7 powder I have.
The only other change I would make is cut the Pine Nuts by 1/3.

Mooy bwenno!

It makes no sense to argue about the best way to cook a steak. 
Me, I like it a little pink in the middle. 

...but it's inarguable how great a slab of butter is on a nicely grilled ribeye. 

Now mix that butter with spices, other goodies and dragonfruit...it becomes a SAUCE!!!!!

My vote goes to Keybird. Well done!!! (the sauce, that is!)

And for dessert, I'll be having mine with Rocketman's mom. (with all due respect...just two cool people having dessert!)
RM is the best rogue sauce maker on this site. Hands down. He blends flavors and peppers in ways the "professionals" are scared to. 
I'll be an investor whenever he decides to bust out his own brand!!!!!!!

This was a great throwdown! 
I'll be making scovie's green mole with some boston butt next week! Booya!

Dragon butter on a grilled chunk o steak. WIN!!!  Me personally, I don't add any sauces to steak. I want to taste the beefy goodness.  But a buttery sauce, I can roll with that.

Mango mojo for dessert please. 

:D

Phil, you made an awesome entry.  I judge everything by a simple criteria.  Which one of these would I want to eat the most/first?  For me this time it was SL and that Scallop Pasta with the cream sauce.  Yours sounds awesome, but the pic looks a little jumbled. (constructive)  If I had DTS' or some others camera skills I would probably have ten crowns so I cannot give advice on photography, but we eat with our eyes on these things.  I do love the sound of your sauce and think it sounds a lot like a good creole bbq shrimp sauce.  Do not be discouraged, please enter again and often. 

DTS would have won what he won with a camera phone in a closet. Good photography can make it look more appealing but the food has to back it up, it doesn't guarantee crowns by any means!

Convenient, blaming it on the camera Jay. ;) (I kid)

Phil said:
Looks like I got the first poster's curse! lol!

Nah, and it wasn't the pictures for me. One cup of worcestershire sauce as the base sounds very very strong and overpowering to me, even if it was a marinade. That's pretty potent for a steak sauce. A few shakes of that stuff goes a long way.

And the dessert looked pretty damn good but cooking wine is pretty vile stuff, I wish you just used the wine.

Just my 2c. Definitely keep entering!

Oh contra-ire Patron...

I am like you, I read and study the ingredients and methods, that has more power with me.
But alas, there were like, 10 votes within the first hour of voting. Nothing at all wrong with that, I just believe a lot of people vote with their eyes like if they were at the "Chinese food trailer at the fair"... pictures for a menu.

carry on~

Scoville DeVille said:
Oh contra-ire Patron...

I am like you, I read and study the ingredients and methods, that has more power with me.
But alas, there were like, 10 votes within the first hour of voting. Nothing at all wrong with that, I just believe a lot of people vote with their eyes like if they were at the "Chinese food trailer at the fair"... pictures for a menu.

carry on~

Agreed but the food still has to look good no matter how good the actual photography is! ;) You can tell a lot from a pic. You can have an amazing pic of some dog poop but you wouldn't vote for it. I also always said people vote with their eyes but that doesn't mean it's a photography contest, that takes away from the amazing things people have created.

People voted quickly but they voted for what they'd eat. And you don't know what they read or not. They had the weekend to read what was going on, and it ended Sunday night. I was happy to see such a good response this time!

Enough on that. KEEP VOTING!

I'm still reading and will be voting.  i'm decided on the dessert but votes have to be cast for both categories at once.  Have to read again on the entrees in the AM.

Wow, look at Dragon Butter go!

I'm glad key is killing it, he's entered so many, this is his time.

RM killing dessert.

But still, anything can happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back