• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

My son's first chilli sauce

Well he's been building up his sauce tasting skills for a while. lately he's been into the fruit/Hab sauces Inferno, carrot Karma, Cry Baby, Lizard Spit. He's sliced up a few asian birdseye over his meals too. He's 8 1/2 yrs old by the way.

Last week he asked if he could make his own sauce, I said Sure, what do you want in it.
Straight back he answered:

Asian birdseye
Siam
Green Siam
Habanero
red Onion
Roma Tomato
vinegar
Ginger
Garlic

:shocked: O.k, so who am I to argue. We did a lap of the yard today & picked the pods.
I helped him through the process, we weighed everything & he scribbled it into a school book with a pencil lol. pH tested at 3.8 right off the bat so we poured 3 bottles worth.
It's nice too.
Made 3 bottles.
I BBQ'd some sausages tonight so we could try it out & he's already thinking of ways to hone in the recipe :lol:

I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow morning for you.

Awesome...really. Once again I'm thankful I no longer have to change his nappies every few hours ;)

Well he's got the right person to teach him, you'll be moderating him on here in years to come. You're lucky your little lad likes onion, a lot of kids hate it.

rainbowberry said:
Well he's got the right person to teach him, you'll be moderating him on here in years to come. You're lucky your little lad likes onion, a lot of kids hate it.

Oh god...he wanted to join up now & i had to talk him out of it lol.

Likes onion..wont eat mushrooms or olives & bored with daddy cooking burgers on the bbq lol talk about a rough childhood.

POTAWIE said:
You must be a proud daddy

everyone say AAAwwwww the cute little Habanero sauce :flamethrower:

:lol:

you can pretty much use anything. the fruit or veg is just a base, it can have flavour or not, but all your other ingredients need to fit into it. It's also the major build for the texture of your final product.
In 'pain' & 'pain2' I use pears...I think that's a first...currently eying off a rare ozzie winter fruit for a sauce base....news to come lol.

I suppose if Woody did it with runner beans then anything's possible, it certainly had a hint of runner beans and it tasted great, I was really surprised.

That is so cool! Not only did he want to make a hot sauce, he already knew what flavors he wanted in it.

bentalphanerd said:
Oh god...he wanted to join up now & i had to talk him out of it lol.

Good! I couldn't properly stalk you in front of a child.

Pam said:
That is so cool! Not only did he want to make a hot sauce, he already knew what flavors he wanted in it.

That was a bit of a spinout when he just listed off ingredients. I have taught him how to read the labels on everything though so I should have expected it. But wow!

Pam said:
Good! I couldn't properly stalk you in front of a child.

Whew, glad I stopped him. I kinda enjoy being stalked...you know from the other side of the planet & all.

Congrats man...My daughtor is hooked on rooster thai chilie sauce and defcon 3 so I know where you are coming from...Ill have to order some defcon 2 to see if she likes it

Canuk Pepperhead said:
Congrats man...My daughtor is hooked on rooster thai chilie sauce and defcon 3 so I know where you are coming from...Ill have to order some defcon 2 to see if she likes it

How old is she CP? And whats going to happen when she starts into your stash of dads only sauce.

If figure when mine starts getting into my Naga supply i'll have to send him to his room & cancel xmas lol

bentalphanerd said:
That was a bit of a spinout when he just listed off ingredients. I have taught him how to read the labels on everything though so I should have expected it. But wow!

Daddy's little chilehead.

Whew, glad I stopped him. I kinda enjoy being stalked...you know from the other side of the planet & all.

* shoves map of Australia under desk*

Yeah, because it'd be creepy and all if I turned up on your doorstep.

Pam said:
* shoves map of Australia under desk*

Yeah, because it'd be creepy and all if I turned up on your doorstep.

Yea...catching glimpses of you peering through my windows is going to get an altogether different response. lol

Back