• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Wich fertilizer should i buy ?

Hey guys, 

I need a new fertilizer soon, i have been using a 9-9-7 wich i am super happy about but it is almost empty.
I researched a lot about wich fertilizer i should get,
but i can't find one that really fits the requirements. (or i can't decide)
So here are the liquid fertilizers i can get my hands on :

Buxus fertilizer : 5-5-7
Geraniums fertilizer : 8-6-6
Roomplants fertilizer : 7-3-6
Cactus fertilizer : 3-5-7
Tomato & Herbs fertilizer : 3-2-5
Universal fertilizer : 3-2-6
Pink ... fertilizer : 7-5-6
Universal fertilizer : 6-5-5

I kinda feel stupid asking this after doing so much research :shh:  but i want to get it right  :lol:
Ps: preferably it can be used for the plants whole life span.

Thanks,
peter.

Given the current fertiliser has worked for you why not buy more of it?

Edit: Note that NPK in isolation does not provide enough information about the fertiliser to make a choice.

When deciding on a fertiliser choice you also should factor in the medium the plants are in and the quality of your water supply. i.e. A fertiliser I used was changed to include Potassium from Potassium Sulfate which in combination with the Calcium in hard water and the my mix resulted in Calcium precipitating out of the mix.

You need to look at the whole nutrient values n-p-k are only a part of the equation there are macro and micro values that are very important also. Try to keep the n value lower than the rest but make sure whatever you chose has a whole range of nutrients like calcium magnesium sulfur boron zinc the label should list each percent.

Honestly... I dont like any of those ferts listed.... you should grab some fish emulsion, some worm castings, some epsom salt, some potash, some miracle grow (for micro nutrients), and some garden gypsum.  The worm castings and garden gypsum will be the secret to your success. :party: http://www.cmtmi.com/gypsum.asp

I just picked up a new fert that I have not tried yet... it looks really really good all around:  "jobe's organics all-purpose granular fertilizer: Biozome formula."   http://www.amazon.com/patio-lawn-garden/dp/B003SHEDQY

gonna give em a dose of jobe's next week... as i just gave them their anual shot of miracle grow yesterday

Noah Yates said:
I just picked up a new fert that I have not tried yet... it looks really really good all around:  "jobe's organics all-purpose granular fertilizer: Biozome formula."   http://www.amazon.com/patio-lawn-garden/dp/B003SHEDQY

gonna give em a dose of jobe's next week... as i just gave them their anual shot of miracle grow yesterday
I use Jobe's vegetable and tomato granular fertilizer currently and I think it works rather well. It's my first season so I don't have much of anything to compare it to though (I have pics in my glog if you want to see the effect it has on my plants). I've heard good things about Jobe's which is what led me to purchase it. 

Thanks for the information guys,

I'll write all this down and go to the store tomorrow and see what things they have there.
There are so many options :P

Laphroaig said:
Thanks for the information guys,

I'll write all this down and go to the store tomorrow and see what things they have there.
There are so many options :P
Is the 9-9-7 fertiliser that you have been using not available? I reiterate if something has been working well for you with your choice of medium then stick to it if possible.

harry said:
Is the 9-9-7 fertiliser that you have been using not available? I reiterate if something has been working well for you with your choice of medium then stick to it if possible.
Sadly no, it was an old bottle that my parents gave me.

I'm going to the store later and see what stuff they have.

Thanks guys !

I like Neptune's Harvest Fish/Seaweed blend, Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom and Botanicare Liquid Karma. I have Cal-Mag if it's needed but my plants are in Happy Frog so I've used it as a foliar spray maybe once or twice. 

Or you could try some Laphroaig Quarter Cask, that peaty goodness will put hair on your pods. 

+1 for the Neptune's Harvest fish and seaweed blend.
I've used it for all my vegetables the last two seasons, and have had good success.
The only other fertilizer I use is 3 tablespoons of Garden-tone (or Tomato-tone if I have it) mixed well in the planting hole when transplanting.

Ok guys i looked up Neptune's Harvest fish and seaweed fertilizer
http://www.amazon.com/Neptunes-Harvest-Organic-Hydrolized-Fertilizer/dp/B000OWBUSA
Shipping to Belgium/Europe is not expensive i hope :p (i can't find it in Belgium)

It isn't expensive at all, i like that :P
But if i buy this is it like other fertilizers ? :
( mix with water and apply once every couple weeks like said on label ? )

And will that be enough for a plants whole life ? 
( i do have egg shells and epsom salt if needed )

Thanks !

Neptunes Harvest is a great choice and yes it just mixes with water. I use it and mix 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and feed once a week. It does have a rather strong smell so careful not to spill it if your indoors. How long that bottle will last really depends on how many plants you have and how often you fertilize. That bottle you linked to is 36 oz so at 1 tablespoon or 15ml per gallon it will make 72 gallons of water/fert mix. I also mix 1 tablespoon epsom salts in the mix every other watering, Hope that helps you. By the way what is in your soil mix that will also determine how much and how often to feed your plants. I use a basic mix of peat,soil conditioner,perlite,worm castings and cotton burr compost so i can feed pretty often as my mix doesn't contain any ferts.

rebelgrower3 said:
Neptunes Harvest is a great choice and yes it just mixes with water. I use it and mix 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and feed once a week. It does have a rather strong smell so careful not to spill it if your indoors. How long that bottle will last really depends on how many plants you have and how often you fertilize. That bottle you linked to is 36 oz so at 1 tablespoon or 15ml per gallon it will make 72 gallons of water/fert mix. I also mix 1 tablespoon epsom salts in the mix every other watering, Hope that helps you. By the way what is in your soil mix that will also determine how much and how often to feed your plants. I use a basic mix of peat,soil conditioner,perlite,worm castings and cotton burr compost so i can feed pretty often as my mix doesn't contain any ferts.
Ahhh Great info mate !
I will do about the same as you do then as i also have a basic soil with little ferts in it.
Great !!! 
I love it when i my plans are set for the future :D
Thank you all !!!

EDIT :
Ok i just found a source to buy 'Chili focus' 5L/1.3gallon for only 30€/40$  
My previous source was 5L/1.3gallon for 60€/80$ ... wich was way to much ofcourse. That's 50% off !!

I will buy this from now on :P
chilli_focus.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys ! 
i love this forum !

Back