• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bluboy's Glog from Egypt - My first time growing anything 8/8/2013

What's up pepper heads...

I am an American living in Alexandria, Egypt and I love spicy fire breathing food. I have been living here for 2 years now and can find only a couple of different types of peppers. I found Jalapenos’ in a jar and what looks and tastes like a Kung Pao pepper but nothing in the superhots category and no decent sauces. Wistfully looking at all the awesome sauces and seeds on the internet I started a wish list on Amazon and pointed my mother to it via my wife’s facebook page as my birthday approached. Then a couple of months ago we received a box from grandma with lots of goodies for the kids and wife and about half of my wish list. Yes!

I don't have a fancy setup or even an un-fancy setup, just some store bought soil, a few pots, and some cardboard egg cartons that I used as starters. God made seeds to get eaten and pooped out by birds or other animals and just grow out there in the wild right? Hehehe

There are some nurseries around but they are outside the city but I don't know where they are. My Arabic still sucks even after hundreds of hours of classes and complete immersion so it makes it hard to get around or find things. (You never realize how big of a vocabulary you need to have descent conversation until you begin learning a new language.) 

Not to metion there really aren't any big box type stores except Carefoure wich is sort of like a super Walmart but not. Most stores are super niche and carry only certian items. Like one store might have nothing but screws and bolts and around the corner you might find nails of all sizes, chain, and hinges. Another store will have only pvc pipe and connectors while to get fixtures you will have to go to another store. There is a system to this and the locals know well but for me coming from the land of Home Depot and Walmart I am lost.

Anyway, I couldn't wait to get growing even though it is so late in the summer. I figure it doesn't start to cool off (60's-70's) until late Oct/early Nov here and I have never seen or heard frost even in the dead of winter so I would give it a shot.

I started the seeds at the beginning of July using the wet paper towel method and began planting as they sprouted. The Jalapenos were up first, along with some of the Cayenne, then a few Moruga's and Butch T's, with the Bhut's and Tepin's as well as all the stragglers from the Morgua and ButchT packets. Everything was planted between July 15 and July 29. I germinated about 10-15 of each variety with hopes of keeping two of each for harvesting. I had about an 80% sprout rate.

After planting the seedlings I lost quite a bunch of the Bhuts and Tepins that just never came out of the dirt. All the Jalapenos came up but about half wilted and I removed them left the ones that looked strong. 95% of the Butch T's and Moruga's came up but started turning white after I left them in the sun too long one day trying to dry them out from a botched automatic watering system I tried to setup before we went out of town for a week.

Needless to say if anything survives my gardening skills it will be one hella strong plant. :think:

Here are some pics I took this morning 8/8/2013 This is 2 weeks give or take. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated just remember I don't have a lot of resources available where here in Egypt that I know of and I live on the 14th floor of an apartment.

9463041469_2d15cc3ce8.jpg

This is the only soil I found. The Superpeat was inside the Friends bag.

9465920856_919ca01354.jpg

Moruga's and Butch T's got a little sunburned

9465898084_aaebfdd638.jpg

Jalapeno's and Cayenne

9465880578_ffdfa04f39.jpg

Poor little Bhut's

9465862610_232ca25c17.jpg

Tepin's

9465845898_ff71db7ec1.jpg

A mix of Tepin and Bhut that were late sprouts.

I'll keep you updated every few weeks as the little guys grow. Heres to a good late season harvest :cheers:

Welcome
There is three types of peppers grown there that I know of
1 Egyptian dahabe meant Egyptian gold
2 shata ballad which means local pepper paste (shata) means pepper paste (baladi) means local or native
3 filfil which simply means peppers/chiles
I am growing both of them
The shata baladi is a small tiny pepper like piquins they use to make pepper paste using olive oil in the mix garlic and other ingredients
People there are not hot/spicy food oriented like Mexicans or Indians

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Alexandria, Egypt, huh? That is so awesome. I'm a bit of a history buff, and love travelling to places with history, and Alexandria's always been on my list :)

gook luck on those seeds i NEVER had luck in that type of recycled material pots  they dried out to fast for me i put 28 seeds down 1 poped up and died  ,some people dont like them but i use egg cartons  then scoop em out with a spoon a few weeks in, to a pot

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

elcap1999 said:
:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Alexandria, Egypt, huh? That is so awesome. I'm a bit of a history buff, and love travelling to places with history, and Alexandria's always been on my list :)
Alex is a really cool place. if you ever get a wild hair to come this way give these guys a call http://www.facebook.com/NRConnections they are some newly made friends that do cultural tourism here in Egypt and are based in Alex. We used them when my dad came for a visit just to do a day trip and it was awesome. It is not expensive and not your typical tourist experiance. Although you may want to wait until things calm down a bit since we are still in the revolution mode around here and things can get dicey at the drop of hat in certain areas. But outside the main demonstration areas its pretty much just normal life.

PepperDaddler said:
صثمؤخةث فخ فاح                    بقخة سف شعل

alfonso-ribeiro.jpg

Ehh? I have no idea what that says... all I can make out is فخ = smacked فاح =trap lol!

meatfreak said:
Welcome on the forum and best of luck with your grow over there. I bet you can grow all year round, right?
you could pretty much grow all year round but you would still have to pull in small weak plants indoors during certain parts of the winter. Not because of the tempreture since it rarely ever gets below 32f (if ever) but becuase of the sever thunderstorms with extreme sustained winds that occur very frequently in December - Feburary (avg low 45 high 60) and then you have frequent brutal sandstorms with high winds at the end of April til the end of May called the 'Khamaseen'. The wind during the rainy season and Khamaseen season is nasty. I seen roofs get torn off of porches, peoples shutters get ripped off, and had our french doors burst open quite often so I imagine my plants would be ripped to shreds if left outside. :) 

Threehundredc said:
gook luck on those seeds i NEVER had luck in that type of recycled material pots  they dried out to fast for me i put 28 seeds down 1 poped up and died  ,some people dont like them but i use egg cartons  then scoop em out with a spoon a few weeks in, to a pot
Yeah, I was thinking of putting them in their final pots now but was afraid it might be to traumatic for the little guys. They just don't seem to be doing all that well in the small cartons. Whats the smallest size pot you could use for a final resting place?

PepperLover said:
People there are not hot/spicy food oriented like Mexicans or Indians

I have a Moroccan neighbor who says the same for her folks.

Are you planning on planting in-ground or in pots?

Welcome to THP!  It must be crazy over there right now.

Ideally you would like a 3 to 5 gallon pot, like a drywall bucket if you can find them there.  I currently have a bhut growing and producing peppers in a half gallon pot and a Dorset in a (I think) 1.5 quart pot.  The plants won't get as big, but you will get peppers, and they will be mobile, so you'll be able to bring them in easier.

Good luck and be careful out there!

Welcome to the Fray buddy. Shoulda like you've got excellent conditions to grow your plants year round. That would be awesome. This Illinois weather is a PITA. The "System" you speak of, sounds flawed...lol what took you from the great states of the "United" all the way the Egypt? 14th floor! Holy moley!

Good luck with your grow and hope Moms' sends ya what you need.
***Sounds, not shoulda lol

welcome to the forum. Lots of great people w/ helpful info so that you're not in the dark when it comes to growing chiles. You came to the right place.

Well it has been a wild month here in Alex to say the least. The sounds of automatic gunfire, teargas grenades, crack of snipers popping off from rooftops (close enough I had to snatch the family off the balcony so we didn’t get shot), fill the afternoon a couple of times a week around my apartment. There are tanks, heavily armed 20 year old conscripts, and nervous riot police around every corner 24/7. The suicide bombers have started making appearances around town at various government installations in unsuccessful assassination attempts and my wife woke me up around 6:30ish to watch the Judges club next door be firebombed and gatted up with AK's by a group of men in the back of a pickup. From what my friends in the military tell me it only the start of a long and winding road especially with the whole Syria thing escalating next door.

That doesn't bother me as much as my plants seem to have stunted. When I look at you guys pics after your plants have been growing a month they are all mini bushes while mine still look like seedlings. I guess I am a better coinsure than cultivator of the fiery fruit. I was equally unsuccessful in my late teens early twenties attempting to grow that other variety of plant that’s popular amongst rebel horticulturalists. So my green thumb hasn’t improved in the last twenty some odd years.

Any advice for instigating some proper growth in these plants? Nothing to advanced, fancy ingredients that you might be able to get at the local nursery might not be available here. Things that are commonplace in the states can’t be found here. Like root beer, bacon, extension cords, etc… they have alternative ways to do things with alternative materials that work with those methods. So simple is better and easier to try and explain to someone than something complicated.

A lot of my plants have wilted and shriveled up, some have had leaves just start dropping off till they’re naked and a couple turned white. I have been uprooting the smallest and roughest looking plants since I only could accommodate one or two off each variety anyway but I don’t have any more ButchT, Moruga, or Bhut, seeds so I was really wanting to get a few peppers from those plants to start building up a seed bank since it is stupid expensive to have things shipped here.  

Anywho here are this months pics

9706245875_7e406c1de0_z.jpg

Cayenne and maybe a Jalapeno in there. These started off the strongest plants in the group but really started to wilt and fall apart the last couple of weeks.

9706249829_8eb0185f40_z.jpg

Moruga

9706253223_8fe353cc4f_z.jpg

Tepins which are doing the best out of all the plants.

9706263197_8580b415a7_z.jpg

Bhuts

9706260269_37dd3576ee_z.jpg

Another Bhut I think. This little guy was the sole survivor in the last chance battle royal pot where I put all the lame looking plants that weren't tossed during transplant.

9709505056_f7c935feec_z.jpg

Butch T

Things I have done:
Put crushed eggshells around

Put spent coffee grounds around

used 20/20/20 fertilizer I found 1 tsp per gallon of water and soaked the soil a day before transplanting to prep soil since I didn't have any compost 

Used the water/fertilizer mix to water one time from the bottom trays two weeks after transplant

The temps have been in the mid to high 80s but have started to cool ever so slightly in the past few days and normally wont get into the low 8os/mid 70s until mid oct.

There have been some stronger winds for several days at a time the last few weeks

The plants get around 6 to 7 hours of direct sun. That's all I can give them due to the layout of the apt and balcony.

I water the plants every two days from the bottom tray unless it has been really hot and they are looking dry.

Well that is this months report we will see how many plants make it to next month. ;)

Hi Blu,
   I notice you have a lot of peat in your soil mix. Unless it's buffered with agricultural lime the pH could be too acidic for your plants. Peppers do like slightly acidic soil, but not below 6.0, but 6.5 would be better. Sphagnum Peat Moss has a pH of around 4.5  One of the things you probably can't get is litmus paper or a pH test kit... It wouldn't take much lime to buffer the peat... maybe a teaspoon per pot. Just be conservative when you add it, and give it a week or two to see how it reacts before adding more. Too much lime can cause nutrient lockout and the leaves will show a mottled effect when the leaf veins stay green but the spaces between them will be yellow.

3/5King said:
.lol what took you from the great states of the "United" all the way the Egypt? 14th floor! Holy moley!

Well brother, We came here to work with 'street involved children'. Originally we were going to start an NGO and work towards building a shelter/home to help the kids get of the street and either reconcile with their family if possible or take them in a raise them in a family style center. Adoption is illegal here so helping the kids is difficult. The situation is a complex one due to all the factors involved. Such as the cultural and religious restrictions and views of the community, the trauma and abuse these kids have endured physically, mentally, spiritually, and sexually, and the freedom the kids believe they have, just to give some basic examples.

They whole NGO thing got shot down after the gov decided to shut down and arrest most all the foreign funded NGO's in the country. They felt that the American/foreign money funneled through these NGOs was used to fund rebels and spies to undermine Egypt. So we laid low and began volunteering at local already established shelters and working with our Egyptian friends doing things in an unofficial capacity.

The problem then became how do we stay in the county. We needed a residential visa so we have started a LLC here and are developing a co-working space for entrepreneurs and start-ups that are geared toward social and environmental issues. That way we can still work toward helping these kids in a legitimate and official capacity.

That's the short version :)

We like it here though. There certainly is always something to keep you on your toes.
stickman said:
Hi Blu,
   I notice you have a lot of peat in your soil mix. Unless it's buffered with agricultural lime the pH could be too acidic for your plants. Peppers do like slightly acidic soil, but not below 6.0, but 6.5 would be better. Sphagnum Peat Moss has a pH of around 4.5  One of the things you probably can't get is litmus paper or a pH test kit... It wouldn't take much lime to buffer the peat... maybe a teaspoon per pot. Just be conservative when you add it, and give it a week or two to see how it reacts before adding more. Too much lime can cause nutrient lockout and the leaves will show a mottled effect when the leaf veins stay green but the spaces between them will be yellow.
Yeah, it was all I could find so far around here, it was called Super pete. I might be able to find the ph kit but it would take a lot of sleuthing. My pots are all different sizes ranging from 1 to 5 gallon. Would the ratio of 1 tsp per gallon be correct or per 5 gallon pot?
Thanks for the advice my friend

those pots are pretty big for the seedlings and if you bottom water them, the water has to travel a ways to get to the roots. Bottom watering is ideal IMHO because the dirt will be less likely to attract pests when dry(?) but one has to make sure the water is, in fact, reaching the roots. Have to be careful w/ direct sun as well but a lot the plants seem to look alright. Those items, and what was mentioned about pH, are the only things i can think of would make the plants wilt.

See, *this* is how you know someone belongs at THP.  "There are tanks in the streets, the building next door was firebombed, we're dodging sniper fire, and the military expects it to get worse, but the REALLY bad thing is my plants are stunted!" :-)

I don't mean to make light of the serious situation, but life goes on, right?---and anyone who can keep a garden going in the midst of that sort of crisis has my admiration.  I've known a number of people who have visited Egypt and never heard a bad word about the place or the people; I hope to heck things settle down and that you're able to stay in-country and safe.

-NT

Back