• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Variations on the 'Aunt Lindy' sauce.

Hello all,

I've got some pods ripening (still no idea what they are, but I'm treating them like red habs).  I'll probably have enough ripe next week to do my first non-fermented sauce.  I'm thinking the (apparently classic) Aunt Lindy recipe will be pretty easy and give me a nice first sauce.  Looking at this recipe, does anybody have suggestions?  I'll update this thread as the pods ripen and the sauce is made.

• 6 whole mangoes peeled and seeded
  • 7 whole Kiwi fruit peeled
  • 7 whole Habanero chile pepper (fresh) stemed and seeded
  • 4 whole Lime, juice of
  • 3 whole Lemon, juice of
  • 4 tablespoons Orange juice, frozen concentrate
  • 1/3 cup Vinegar, white
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 cups Water
In stock pot add Habaneros, water and salt. Slow boil for 15 minuets. then drain, saving 3/4 cup of water.
Puree in blender with the saved water and all ingredients except vinegar. Return to stock pot and simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar after slightly cooled.

My pods finally ripened up and I was able to make a small variation batch of this sauce.  Here's the recipe I used:
  • Two Kiwi
  • Two Mangoes
  • Juice of 1 Lime
  • Juice of 1 Lemon
  • 1 Tablespoon OJ
  • 4 Teaspoons White Vinegar
  • 1/3 cup water
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar
  • 3 we're gonna call 'em habaneros, though they certaintly don't taste like Habs.
The sauce blended surprisingly well in the blender and gave me a smoother consistency that I was expecting.  Cooked the whole thing for 15 minutes before adding the vinegar and bottling.  This recipe has extra agave nectar and water because it was a little thick and sour for my tastes.  I was also stupid and didn't wear gloves and am now paying for it.

2bm0Ifq.jpg

J7U9JLv.jpg

JTYElTs.jpg

The sauce appears significantly more orange in person.  The flavor is extremely citric and has a sweet-and-sour feel to it.  Sadly, it came out a little too hot for my current tastes, but my girlfriend LOVES it, so I'm counting that as a win!

Back