• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sourcing Ingredients - Ready to Scale!

Hey everyone!

My partner and I are ready to start scaling up our recipe. We're even looking to get investors on board for the possibility of scaling up BIG time. We know it's a dicey proposition, but we just want to be prepared. So, to that end:

Does anybody know anything about how to source massive quantities of ingredients? Hundreds of lbs, if not larger quantities, of chili peppers, for instance? Garlic? Salt? Do I simply connect with a farm? Or are there commercial-level distributors I can tap into? It's been exceedingly hard to find this on the internet... which is crazy, but true!

Any insight or suggestion would be hugely appreciated!

:welcome: Fricka~

First impression of this scenario is-

How often have you made your recipe and in how large of batches?  If you're asking questions about sourcing 100's of pounds of garlic, where do you plan to process the sauces?  How many gallons per batch?

My first feeling is that you're not that experienced in food service in general or in food processing.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Have you considered working with a co-packer?   

Co-packers have connections and equipment to scale up and they have the experience working with single sauce makers. 

There are commercial chile growers around, and no, they're not found on the interwhebz. 

I'd suggest starting small, find a small place to process your sauce yourself and get it out there to the general public.  Do not take the feedback of friends and family, take the feedback of customers at a farmers market.  Do one season at a market, then see how it's going.  If you make a sale to 8 out of 10 people who sample your sauce at the market....THEN consider scaling up and talking to co-packers. 

Have you market tested your products?  What kind of direct and indirect distribution channels do you intend to use?  You might want to start off small and scale your business  with the demand as it increases.  For myself, I am looking to rent a commercial kitchen and start producing small batches (100 bottles per batch), and then get feedback from a variety of reviewers, generate awareness and interest in our products and distribute them through online retailers while I construct my own website direct selling.  I will also set up booths at farmers markets with free samples and guage the reactions and comments of people trying our products.  Capacity planning is very important when it comes to scaling a business.  You don't want to be stuck with high volumes of a perishable product that you don't yet have the ability to move.  

I hope this helps!

Back