• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Authentic South Texas Salsa

This is our old family recipe for a truly authentic South Texas Salsa.  We usually process this for a good long time so it is not too chunky.  Obviously, you can alter the hot pepper varieties or amounts to make this as hot as you would like.

We normally take every tomato we can grow and throw it toward this stuff hoping to make it through the year.  Home grown tomatoes make this stuff absolutely incredible.  However, I have made it with store bought tomatoes, and it was still very good.  I even had a buddy take whole canned tomatoes and make it.  It was surprisingly good.

Uncle CB's South Texas Salsa
1 cup vinegar (5% acidity)
6-10 cloves garlic
1 T knor (CHICKEN SOUP BASE)
1 T canning salt
1 t. comino
3/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 black pepper
3 bunches cilantro
20 large tomatoes (blanched/ peeled)
4 medium onions
3 medium bell pepper
3-5 jalapenos

Chop all ingredients together in food processor. Cook in large pot for 1-2 hours (until it reaches desired consistency.) Pour into canning jars and process accordingly.

Makes about 14 pints.

NOTE:  We try to make 4 batches at a time and flll up as many quart jars as we can.  The pint jars just disappear too fast.

photo3.jpg

That is the secret ingredient.  You will find Knorr on the mexican food aisle in the grocery stores around here. 

We put a little of that stuff in everything (beans, rice, salsa, etc.)

Living in El Campo, Texas and having my mother's maiden name be Banuelos, you have to trust me on this one.  Try it.

@Roguejim

Yes, the flavor of the cilantro is there.  It carries through nicely.  My cooking time depends on how wateryand/or ripe my tomatoes were when I started.  I will say, the longer I cook it, the more the flavors concentrate as it cooks down and the better it usually tastes.  With store bought tomatoes, you need to cook it longer.  Vine ripened home grown/farmers market tomatoes - you don'd need to cook it for as long.

this is sooo good, left the knorr and the comino (what the hell is it)  out but still this is the best salsa i ever ate
never cooked it afterwards before, mmmm

thx man its soooo good, guess its the because of the homegrown tomatos and peppers and cilantro :party:

I'm gonna do it just the way yer Uncle CB says!

Can one assume that a large homegrown tomato is probably smaller than a large store bought? (they pump those things full of stuff to make them huge)

Sounds tasty.

texas blues said:
Outstanding!

That looks like a pretty solid recipe 'ceptin' the chicken base which I'd leave out.

Texas and Texan's rock!
txatty said:
That is the secret ingredient.  You will find Knorr on the mexican food aisle in the grocery stores around here. 

We put a little of that stuff in everything (beans, rice, salsa, etc.)

Living in El Campo, Texas and having my mother's maiden name be Banuelos, you have to trust me on this one.  Try it.
We need to settle something here. txatty says Texans put Knorr in everything. TB says hell no! He says Texans put ranch dressing on everything! So which is it? Knorr or ranch?

Who is the real Texan here? :lol:

East TX or Dallas Yankees - ranch dressing. Texans and ranch dressing claims can only be made by a transplant.

South Texas or West Texas - Knorr.

We don't put Knorr on things - we put it in things. If you walk into a south texas grocery store and hit the Mexican aisle - you will see big jars of the stuff.

On a side note - here's to Texas A&M beating the hell outta Bama this weekend.

Back