• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 Pot Primo and Moruga infused vodka

Hello everyone.

Wondering if anyone here has made their own hot pepper infused vodka before. I have a batch going with primos and morugas...for those who might have done this before, do you let this go until the peppers break down enough to sink to the bottom? Or, do you go 'X' amount of time and simply remove the peppers? I'm not really worried about the heat just curious as to how long it takes for the peppers to sink to the bottom, allowing me to drink the vodka without having the peppers floating at the surface exposed to air.

Thanks!

Matt

P1010987.jpg

Here is a picture from the member buddy.

Beautiful bottles, love how the peppers retained a good chunk of their color.. Would love to know how long those bad boys have been in their bottles.

I`ve made a lot of different infused-vodkas, but for peppers I have not used anything hotter than a Habanero. The heat is extracted quickly and takes over the whole bottle if it`s left more than a week. 

Reaper-infused vodka would be great if you could somehow get the flavour out with less heat. Maybe pre-extract the capsaicin with very high proof alcohol over a couple of days, then add the peppers to real vodka for a few weeks. I`m sure it would still be hot, but perhaps not insanely hot.

Justaguy said:
3-4 days is good. I remember a member turning a fifth into 3 due to the unexpected massive heat. Enjoy

Yeah, have a 1.75mL bottle, 3? weeks on peppers so far and uhh, yeah, just took a sip for the first time and lips to stomach is numb. Love it.

Hophead said:
P1010987.jpg

Here is a picture from the member buddy.
Left those in for a couple of weeks.  They were plenty hot.  They were great for early morning tailgate parties!  Lit up more than 1 person!

I never done this before, whats the point here? Does it actually make the vodka taste better? I think vodka taste like crap to start with, lol, is this the reason for doing this?

ZenPepper said:
I never done this before, whats the point here? Does it actually make the vodka taste better? I think vodka taste like crap to start with, lol, is this the reason for doing this?
Taste better is relative. It imparts the vodka (or whatever alcohol one uses) with the flavor (and in this case heat) of whatever you put in it. Works the same with pears, vanilla, ginger, etc. Typically when making flavoured alcohol you use a nuetral spirit (ie, vodka) so there are no flavour clashes.

Use less peppers.
Use whole ones for the effect. (Like the worm in Mescal)
Use 190 proof grain alcohol. (No flavor)
Use 1/2 the amount you would use of vodka in a mixed drink.
Rest it in the dark for 6 months----less if you are not using whole peppers.

No shooters. Unless you are into the S&M thing.

Age some in oak for Scovie, he only drinks hhwiskey. :shh:

Rudzud said:
Taste better is relative. It imparts the vodka (or whatever alcohol one uses) with the flavor (and in this case heat) of whatever you put in it. Works the same with pears, vanilla, ginger, etc. Typically when making flavoured alcohol you use a nuetral spirit (ie, vodka) so there are no flavour clashes.
Oh I see, thanks :)

ZenPepper said:
I`ve done lots of this type of thing to try and make a certain flavor-infused alcohol. Whole kumquats work great, lemon peel, basil, star anise, black pepper, olives, fresh ginger, caraway seeds, coriander seeds, saffron. Of course, some were a complete disaster. Garlic-infused vodka was horrible. 

Gotrox said:
Use less peppers.
Use whole ones for the effect. (Like the worm in Mescal)
Use 190 proof grain alcohol. (No flavor)
Use 1/2 the amount you would use of vodka in a mixed drink.
Rest it in the dark for 6 months----less if you are not using whole peppers.

No shooters. Unless you are into the S&M thing.

Age some in oak for Scovie, he only drinks hhwiskey. :shh:

So you're saying a 6 month age time for whole peppers is ideal?

Nigel said:
I`ve made a lot of different infused-vodkas, but for peppers I have not used anything hotter than a Habanero. The heat is extracted quickly and takes over the whole bottle if it`s left more than a week. 

Reaper-infused vodka would be great if you could somehow get the flavour out with less heat. Maybe pre-extract the capsaicin with very high proof alcohol over a couple of days, then add the peppers to real vodka for a few weeks. I`m sure it would still be hot, but perhaps not insanely hot.
I posted a thread a year or 2 ago in one of the drink forums here about making pepper moonshine.  It had no heat, but tasted like a fresh fruity delicious pepper!  It was easy and took less time than the infusions, about 2-3 weeks.

Beerswimmer said:
I posted a thread a year or 2 ago in one of the drink forums here about making pepper moonshine.  It had no heat, but tasted like a fresh fruity delicious pepper!  It was easy and took less time than the infusions, about 2-3 weeks.
How on earth did you manage to make an infusion without getting the heat, and with the peppers steaping for 2-3 weeks no less!

I distilled a pepper wine I made. I'll try to find the post and link it.

Well I couldn't find it, but I still have the pics.  My thin mash/sugarhead habanero "brandy".

I had a ton of Caribbean red habs that were taking up too much freezer space.  I chopped them up, pureed them and cooked them in a pot with 7lbs of sugar and some water.  Then after about 30 mins I cooled it, and added it to my fermentor, pitched my yeast and waited.

IMG_20110917_180605.jpg

IMG_20110917_181917.jpg

IMG_20110917_183635.jpg

That was where I should have taken the pot outside and used my turkey fryer!!  Instead, I ended up gassing out my whole house and burning my entire respiratory system for a few hours!!!
IMG_20110917_191128.jpg

IMG_20110917_192920.jpg

IMG_20110918_110238.jpg

Then after the ferment finished I distilled it
Whiskers.jpg

The whole time it was fermenting it smelled like a just cut up hab with more fruit.  It kept the fresh smell the whole time, no rank or sour flavors at all.  I about died again when I was transferring it into the boiler.  The mash was HOT!!  The finished "brandy" was very good, different, but good.  The same fresh cut fruity smell of a really hot hab.  Smelled like it burn your mouth!  Tasted the same, but....NO HEAT.  None, zip, nada.  The cap oils don't vaporize until a much higher temp than ethanol. 

Pepper booze that tastes hot, but it's not.  The liquid left in the boiler after the ethanol was extracted WAS!!!! 

I posted this in a previous topic but if anyone is looking for a great drink to make out of said hot pepper vodka, I infuse and make these all the time.

Moscow Mule
Fill glass to top with Ice
1/4 glass pepper vodka
1/4 glass lime juice
Fill the rest of the glass up with Ginger Beer.
Garnish with the lime and some fresh cut hot peppers if you want an extra kick!
545689_10151683996814064_594163062_n.jpg

sosl0w said:
I posted this in a previous topic but if anyone is looking for a great drink to make out of said hot pepper vodka, I infuse and make these all the time.

Moscow Mule
Fill glass to top with Ice
1/4 glass pepper vodka
1/4 glass lime juice
Fill the rest of the glass up with Ginger Beer.
Garnish with the lime and some fresh cut hot peppers if you want an extra kick!

Well now, definitely didnt think of doing something like that, good call!
Beerswimmer said:
I distilled a pepper wine I made. I'll try to find the post and link it.

Well I couldn't find it, but I still have the pics.  My thin mash/sugarhead habanero "brandy".

I had a ton of Caribbean red habs that were taking up too much freezer space.  I chopped them up, pureed them and cooked them in a pot with 7lbs of sugar and some water.  Then after about 30 mins I cooled it, and added it to my fermentor, pitched my yeast and waited.

That was where I should have taken the pot outside and used my turkey fryer!!  Instead, I ended up gassing out my whole house and burning my entire respiratory system for a few hours!!!

Then after the ferment finished I distilled it

The whole time it was fermenting it smelled like a just cut up hab with more fruit.  It kept the fresh smell the whole time, no rank or sour flavors at all.  I about died again when I was transferring it into the boiler.  The mash was HOT!!  The finished "brandy" was very good, different, but good.  The same fresh cut fruity smell of a really hot hab.  Smelled like it burn your mouth!  Tasted the same, but....NO HEAT.  None, zip, nada.  The cap oils don't vaporize until a much higher temp than ethanol. 

Pepper booze that tastes hot, but it's not.  The liquid left in the boiler after the ethanol was extracted WAS!!!! 
I would buy a bottle of that...That must have been fun to taste. The momentary fear of thinking you're about to sip on a furnace only to have it not...

i just had some of my scorpion vodka today after 3 weeks it lost almost all its color but is still floating but plenty of heat in the drink it was good

Back