• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

C.tovarii

First year growing this species,not the last. No Guinness records or tomfoolery, just an amazing plant. Hope you enjoy,I did.

RSCN0569.jpg

DSCN2707.jpg

RSCN3740.jpg

DSCN6014.jpg

RSCN5491.jpg

DSCN6248.jpg

DSCN6356_zpsa3e0ba8a.jpg

DSCN6363_zps5df7a276.jpg

yes sweet indeed, i always wanted to know what they fruit and plant looked like thanks

i ot some seed last year and they did not germinate

thanks your friend Joe

I just put some Tovari seeds in the sprouter.
Any temp. seem better than others?

I found a LOT of wilds like it hotter than Annuums but didn't like the higher temps. that Chinense like.
In general it seems Annuums like 75-80 degrees where Chinense like 85 - 89+/-.

Some wilds like to be wet for a couple weeks,then ALMOST dried out then wet again.
I think it's a genetic thing.
Like Hops seeds need a cold period or they won't sprout,that is why root cuttings are the way to go if you want any specific variety.

They are seeds during the rain in the Jungle or wherever they won't sprout in bad conditions - before the dry season or TOO wet season.
Can't beat Mother Nature. :)
BUT you CAN fool her sometimes.
(Oh crap,I just thought of the fake butter commercial when I was a kid.
Something like,don't try and fool mother nature...
Well I'm 59 today,getting to the threshold of old fartedness. LOL ).

They get wet,then wait for the next wet season to sprout - Spring OR?

I used to raise different stuff for sale to specialty shops and to get some stuff to reproduce fast you either raised and lowered temps., moisture etc. and you could make them reproduce on comand pretty much.
Fooled them into thinking they slept all winter or whatever the conditions were that they were from.

With a LOT of Peppers you can get faster germination by keeping things wet,then let it almost dry out and then make them wet again.
Gotta walk the line between too dry and too wet.
Once they sprout you treat them as regular peppers-at least indoors under lights...

My Tepins aren't germinating. :mope:

I guess my best advice would be above? Or are they just temperamental / take a long time?

Been a couple weeks. Aji Lemon, Butch T, Choc Hab, etc. have sprouted and have true leaves.

Not going to be responsible for telling folks to let them dry out. Bone dry IMO will get you nowhere. If you are going that route,which I did,I suggest letting them dry out to the consistency of a dry cupcake, which still has alittle moisture. At that point I would wet them again. Usually within a day of that, I would get sprouts. This happened with tovarii,galapagoense,lanceolatum etc. I had lanceolatum go 60+ days and not sprout,then I got one to pop in 9 days using this method(same seed pack). Unfortunately my lance died during a seed cap removal and the other plant I had was dug up by squirrels.

My experience may have been coincidental, not quite sure. I kept my temperatures lower also. At seed level,my temps were 72-75°. At those temps,combined with typical long germ times,you run the risk of the seeds rotting. I can't go and say those are the proper temperatures. I blame it on luck!

*edit* Quality seed is paramount.

I didn't mean bone dry,I was saying or trying to say,slightly wetter than normal then damp/moist then wet again.
I guess it's up to What Dry means to whoever.

Too dry will kill any seeds I think.

I find Especially with wilds , Fresh seeds are a must or they mess with you.

Some older seeds sprout but don't grow well.Others take forever to get low germination rates etc.

Seeds from my Galopagoense from a vendor were long in germinating but seeds I took from my plant germinated in 10 days or so and grew 3 times as fast.
Might just be my grow conditions,might be that they are best when fresh.

I think your low to mid 70's is probably close to the temps some of the wilds are used to growing in.
Nothing is written in stone.

I've had lots of seeds I gave up on sprout after I decided they were history.
Sometimes they just do what they want no matter what you do or don't do.

I dont remember where I read it but there was some news/research site tgat had a lot on plants. It said, basically, and I'm sure its common sense but easy to forget/overlook, that seeds essentially germinate based on the weather conditions during the pod's growth and maturing.... it was awhile ago when I read it and I probably didnt undersrand it correctly, but it
Phone is being weird. ...
But it seemed to be saying how one plant if it fruits during s warm and dry spell, those seeds will germ under different conditions tha n thr same plsnt fruiting during cooler or wetter conditions....
The cooler fruited seeds should essentially wait, thinking the grow season is almost over while the wsrmer fruited seeds could germ riggt away....

I could be completely wrong in my understsnding of it, but seeds assume the season based on conditions during growth and germ based on thst....

Thanks Chris, it means a lot. Guys like yourself,John Fiedler,Taylor,Lonewolf,Boatman,etc... inspired me to grow some of this stuff and to isolate,film and document them. I have other data and notes,but not boring folks with that stuff. I will stick with the photos.

I have added some longer stakes since the photos here. Trying to train it up,it is crazy how fast the branches get woody as you mentioned.

That's some very nice growing going on in West Pa, JB.

Very nice to see the growth from seedling back to seeds again - thanks for sharing!

dvg

Back