• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Olli's Best bolognaise sauce ever! Serves 8

Best Bolognaise sauce ever (for pasta) (8 persons)

Ingredients

• 2 large onions (roughly chopped)
  • 4 large carrots (diced)
  • 4 cans of peeled tomatoes (or 12 fresh tomatoes)
  • 5 oz concentrated tomatopuree
  • 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
  • 3 stalks of sellery (green or white according to taste)
  • 1 mini bhut jolokia or 1 large cayenne (chopped)(if u like it really hot u can add more, when u like less hot add less)
  • 2.8 lb ground beef
  • 1.2 lb ground pork
  • 2 bay leaves 2 thyme stalks (bound together for bouquet garni with kitchen rope)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons of flour
  • salt, pepper, basil (fresh or powder), oregano (fresh or powder)
How to make

Glaze the onions in a large cooking pot, when glazed add the diced carrots and the chopped cellery and let simmer
for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and the chopped bhut jolokia (or cayenne) and simmer for 5 more minutes.
When all ingredients are nice and soft add the 5 oz of concentrated tomatopuree and stirr in well for approx 2 minutes.
Add the flour and stirr in well (all flour needs to be absorbed by the puree with the veggies) this is to make
the binding of the sauce as u will see later on when fluids are added.
Then Add the canned tomatoes and stirr well(or u can use the 12 roughly cut tomatoes, but be carefull when u use
fresh tomatoes instead of canned u will have a much longer cooking time.
Add 1 pint of water also stirr in well and put in the bouquet garni (bay leaves and thyme stalks).
Now add the 2 tablespoons of honey. When desired to give an extra touch u can add 2 or 3 tablespoons
of Red Port (also to taste).
Now this is allready the basic sauce, let this on low heat cook for abt 30 minutes (when using canned tomatoes)
and about an hour when using fresh tomatoes.
Naturally u need to stirr this mixture every 5 minutes or so, so the veggies dont drop down to the bottom and burn
In the meanwhile we are going to mix together the ground beef and the ground pork (knead well with hands
till both ground meats are mixed up well together).
Then take a large frying pan and bake the ground meat in at least 4 or 5 batches, so the meat is browned and not cooked
use fork to cut up the ground meat while baking so u end up smaller pieces baked ground beef and not with a large hamburger (lol).
Collect all the batches of baked meat in a bowl (ofc large enough to hold the full 4 lb).
U will see that in the pan there are residue of the baking process, so we will use this as a base for a broth.
Add a cup of water in the frying pan and let it cook till all the bakings come loose of the pan (u can use a fork
to speed up te process by grating it loose). Add pepper and a pinch of salt to it.
Sift the broth over the cooking pot with the sauce so u dont add overbaked chunks of meat to your sauce ofc.
Then after the 30 minutes (or the hour for the fresh tomatoes) take the mixer and mix this sauce very well
so u end up with a nice smooth sauce (i mix for approx 10 minutes while its still on the stove).
Add the baked ground beef/pork to the sauce and again on a low stove let it simmer for 45 minutes more so the taste
of the meat can mix up with the sauce.
When desired u can allways add a bit of oregano and basil (just be carefull not to overdo those 2 herbs!)
Now your sauce is ready to serve with spaghetti or other kind of pasta or rice top off with fresh parsely or basil and parmezan cheese, enjoy!!!
I prefer to eat this bolognaise sauce the day after, then its even better.
Sauce is perfect for freezing and later consumption also It allways tastes better when it has had the time to absorb all flavours,
but I leave that up to u guys and girls ofc.
Hope u enjoy my recipe, I'm allways eager to hear comments and open for eventual improvements.
Have fun!

Hello!    -I will be trying this!

Welcome to THP.                                                                                                   From St. Aug.

TMNT-1990-580x362.jpg

Thank for the Welcoming :P

Hope U will love the recipe! (I cant get enough of it :party: )
When u tried it please let me know what u think of it, and when u have improvements also let me know!

Cheers!!

10en7e9.jpg

Back