• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music bluegrass music?

i am now listening to doc Watson, really like everything from honey wagon to doc ,Gibson brothers were just here at the august bluegrass festival, earl Scruggs to be honest just about anything played on a guitar. doesn't have to be true bluegrassd always, but do listen to just about any music to a point...
another favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fpwlae4ZYc

Seen Sam Bush several times as well. He did a 5-night guest run in fall '05 with YMSB and I caught the first show which was in Boston. He did a killer "Sailin' Shoes" to start the 2nd set as I recall. The Watsons are legendary of course. One of my favorite bluegrass-ish records is "Goin' South" by Doc & Merle.

Grisman Quintent in Rutland, VT back in 2008 was amazing. We got an "Arabia" at that show, but my fave Grisman is anything with Jerry Garcia (Pizza Tapes, Grateful Dawg, etc).

I saw more bluegrass in the 3 years I lived in Asheville, NC than any other point in show-going probably. Del McCoury at the Pisgah Brewery with Emmet-Nershi Band was a good one. Countless local bluegrass acts too.

not sure how far you folks are willing to travel to get to a bluegrass festival but mn has two great ones, june that is smaller but good, the august fest is a great place to be. 
it is a great festival, i by no means am a promoter just have been going for 10 years...come see some great bluegrass.

the people that put it on are

http://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
djinn said:
not sure how far you folks are willing to travel to get to a bluegrass festival but mn has two great ones, june that is smaller but good, the august fest is a great place to be. 
it is a great festival, i by no means am a promoter just have been going for 10 years...come see some great bluegrass.

btw the people that are making the music are in the campground...

djinn said:

btw the people that are making the music are in the campground...

the funny thing about this is my wife and i took 5 years before we made it to the main stage to actually see a band play...
it was the year del mccoury played the main stage, and my father helped put it up!

djinn said:
the funny thing about this is my wife and i took 5 years before we made it to the main stage to actually see a band play...
it was the year del mccoury played the main stage, and my father helped put it up!

Dude!
You must walk really slow! :)

Not a huge bluegrass fan although surrounded by it.
I do however appreciate some of the fine guitar and banjo pickin.
Some of those guys have mad finger pickin skills!

HopsNBarley said:
Dude!
You must walk really slow! :)

Not a huge bluegrass fan although surrounded by it.
I do however appreciate some of the fine guitar and banjo pickin.
Some of those guys have mad finger pickin skills!
yeah it is hard to get out of the campground music, the really sad part is we were at the closest camping to the main gate..

I had the pleasure of seeing Doc Watson live once, when he toured with David Grisman in the mid-90s.  It was one of the most memorable performances I've been to, which is saying a lot; that guy really knew how to command an audience's attention (in addition to being a completely superhuman player, of course).

Actually I come to this stuff more from trad blues and oldtime country than from bluegrass as such; I approve of it, but the bluegrass aesthetic is a little too slick and technical for my taste some of the time.  I've been listening to a lot of prewar hillbilly stuff.

-NT

I used to listen to it when I played. I still have my Ibanez Artist 5-string banjo that I have had for close to 30 years now.
Have been tempted to sell it and buy another guitar but it's hard to part with it after so long.

Funny how I've been born and raised in the heart of the bluegrass, but I've never liked bluegrass music.  Just doesn't do anything for me.  But I do have to agree with Ryan, some of those guys do indeed have some mad skill on a banjo.

Love Bluegrass!! Played a 12 string for many years, its getting dusty now. Got a buddy that can play the best version of Copperhead Road I ever heard (Maybe better than Steve Earl himself), his name is Brent Payne and the Dakota Boys, I think he has a new Album out called "Bring on the Payne" but not sure how much of his Bluegrass is on it, as he does a lot of Country Music too. Most of all of his stuff has that old Gran Ole Opry sound to it.

Back