• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I Cooked It And Ate It.

Post pics of your dinner here. Just a general food thread. I'll start.

Jambalaya and white beans!

Start with a pound of bacon.

9583481227_e0284c7296_b.jpg

Add smoked sausage and brown it up. Then remove the bacon and sausage from the pot and reserve in a bowl.

9583531845_9a0cd47cd8_b.jpg

Brown some pork in the bacon grease

9583533725_73b5f5eb8e_b.jpg

Once the pork is brown, return the sausage and bacon to the pot and add celery, onions, peppers, and garlic. Sweat them all down until the veggies are tender.

-
9583568879_4cd7e313b9_b.jpg

Add water and rice - 2:1 ratio - Here I have 4 cups of water to 2 cups of rice. Also add 1 chicken boullion cube for each cup of water. Water and boullion first, then once the boullion is dissolved and incorporated, add the rice and mix well. Don't forget the salt. Salt it like you would normally salt rice.

9586873400_5b818a48ab_b.jpg

9584276873_8502745d0f_b.jpg

Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the fire and let it steam covered for about 20-30 minutes. Then uncover, fluff, and serve!

9584378819_c6d45e6206_b.jpg

9587280290_44637a3252_b.jpg

Let us know how it comes out! Thanks for checking it out!
JoynersHotPeppers said:
That is one kick ass pot!

5 qt. black iron, JHP..... every man needs one!
I know it's not exactly "gourmet". Presentation is tough to conjure...... but hey.... this is real coon ass cookin'!

BTW.... I added about a tsp of Chris' JHP Mystery Smoke Blend when I added the rice. Shhhhh. Don't tell the family! lol. They would have panicked had they seen me do it!

Phil said:

Tell ya what..... if you cook your wife a jambalaya, she love you long time!
Might have to give it a try this week. Don't know if she'd trust me with the peppers I've picked up this week though lol. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Might have to give it a try this week. Don't know if she'd trust me with the peppers I've picked up this week though lol. 

Leave those out. I only added anaheim peppers to this one. Nothing super spicy..... just some mystery smoke powder from Chris... JHP

Phil said:

Leave those out. I only added anaheim peppers to this one. Nothing super spicy..... just some mystery smoke powder from Chris... JHP
Don't have any anaheim's, but do have a few jalapeno's on my plant that could be picked. Would they work? Think I might get some of the sausage we smoked at work yesterday and cut up some pork while there tomorrow and give it a go tomorrow night. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Don't have any anaheim's, but do have a few jalapeno's on my plant that could be picked. Would they work? Think I might get some of the sausage we smoked at work yesterday and cut up some pork while there tomorrow and give it a go tomorrow night. 

Yep. Jalapenos would work. But only a few. Substitute bell peppers for the anaheims

:lol:  You said white beans in the first post and I kept looking to see where you added them. Finally figured out you meant rice. :doh:
Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it.

Jambalaya and white beans...

they are on the side! ;)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Phil, could you taste hints and slight heat from the mystery smoke? It works great in creamy dips as well!

Slightly. I held back on it because my daughter was going to be eating it. I don't think I added enough to make much of an impact. Good news is I have plenty left to try again.

Logrus9 said:
:lol:  You said white beans in the first post and I kept looking to see where you added them. Finally figured out you meant rice. :doh:
Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it.

See post #18 by THP... white beans on the side with  no rice. Traditional cajun serving method. I know most people are used to beans and rice together. Down here when you buy a jambalaya plate [fundraisers sell them all the time] the white beans are served by themselves with no rice.

Back