• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

LBTC Dorsey’s Reserve 8 Pepper Blend

Longbranch Trading Company

Dorsey’s Reserve 8 Pepper Blend.

8 Peppers! That’s a lot of peppers!

Manzano, Jalapeno, Red Serrano, Habanero, Serrano peppers, de Arbol, Chipotle morita peppers are all here…Hmmm. I count 7 peppers, not 8 but the ubiquitous “spices” are also included so maybe that’s where the 8th “mystery” pepper resides.*

This is a very complex tasting sauce, as one would expect with 8 freaking different kinds of peppers. That’s not all that’s in this though. Roasted pumpkin seeds, roasted pine nuts and roasted sesame seeds all come to this party and lend it a high-falut’n gourmet flair.

This stuff is thick with little chunks of seeds and peppers in it. It would probably cling to foods rather well. I could see this being fantastic to “mop” onto barbequed food as it’s grilling.

This sauce has a flavor that I found hard to pin down. It’s a little sweet with hints of wostershire ( although that IS NOT an ingredient) . With all these ingredients vying for attention there is really a lot going on here.

Still, at first I found the flavor profile just a little flat. Hmmm…needs… salt? Sea salt is listed as an ingredient but…..Well, I added just a little salt to this and the flavor just exploded in my mouth. It’s a big fat pepper party up in there.

The heat? Oh yeah. It brings the heat too! Not deadly but enough to call itself a HOT sauce and not be ashamed! Picante? You bet!

This is one fancy sauce. It’s definitely got it’s own flavor and that’s quite an achievement. The roasted seeds bring a sophistication to this sauce that you won’t find just anywhere.

This sauce would be good on lots of food but I guess I would recommend it for grilled food, especially red meats.

I’ve tried the Longbranch Original and it is very good as well. Bravo LBTC!

Heat 6/10 Flavor 7/10

* Ahh. Their website had the missing pepper. There are fresh Habaneros and dried habaneros. That makes it 8, if you count that as a difference.

Check out this killer article about LBTC on THE HOT ZONE BLOG:

http://www.thehotzoneonline.com/blog/archives/000045.php

Back