• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ocho Cinco's rookie season

My superhot story started in late 2012. I was certain that the Mayan's were right and the world was going to end soon. To help ease my mind I decided to browse online for some seeds. I was on Baker Creek Seed companies page and I saw that they were selling ghost pepper seeds.  I was like, "Cool!"  I wanted to get some. I had never had anything hotter than a habanero before so I wanted to try growing some ghosts. I got to wondering if there was anything hotter than a ghost pepper so I googled it. Sure enough I found something hotter. Eventually I stumbled upon Pepper Joe's page. That's where I was first introduced to the Carolina Reaper. The "The NEW Worlds Hottest Champ as of the 8/27/12 Press Releases. It averaged 1,474,000 Scoville Heat Units".
I immediately knew that I had to have those seeds.
The Reaper began my new found love for superhots.
So, that's how it all began. I hope you enjoy reading about it. I had a great time gardening this year. 
Now I'll recap my 2013 season....................

This is my momma....

mom_zps5e844beb.jpg

She doesn't like posing for pictures. 
My birthday was coming up and she asked me what I wanted. I said, "Seeds."  She was like, "What? I ain't gettin' you no seeds. What so you really want?" Eventually she realized that I really wanted some seeds so she got them for me. I bought three kinds of Jalapenos and some Carolina Reapers from Pepper Joe. 

PepperJoe_zpsd3214239.jpg

I was very excited to get started but it was late November here in Northern Kentucky. I didn't have any grow lights or anything else to grow them inside and at a buck a seed I did not want to screw this up. So I waited.....and read......and learned. I bought a heating mat, a little greenhouse and some fluorescent shop lights. 
I planted my seeds on February 9th. I chose that date because it is the anniversary of my son's death. I wanted to do something positive that day. Ten days later I had these......

CarolinaReaperDay3_zpsca8e877e.jpg

Eventually seven out of my ten sprouted.

Here is a poor quality picture of one of my sprouts. This one had three cotyledon.

3cotyledons_zps172852e3.jpg

My "babies" grew very slowly at first. My guess is that maybe the temps got too low for them sometimes. I had them in a south facing window in the warmest room in my house. Here they are one month after I planted the seeds.

CarolinaReaper4weeks_zps86c2f0dd.jpg

Here they are about a month and a half after planting the seeds. 

CarolinaReaper6weeks_zps4097d838.jpg

The pyramid stack was meant to help save valuable space in my best south facing window. It was a terrible idea and nearly cost me my Reaper babies.
Things went well for me and my little plants. Here they are at 77 days since the seeds were planted. They were growing well.......

CarolinaReaperDay77_zps73716938.jpg

I put one of these on Craig's List for $10. It sold a few days later. I was excited. I just made enough to pay for the seeds.
They grew even larger. Eventually I planted them into bigger containers. Two gallon buckets with some Happy Frog soil. 
I put another one on Craig's List. $25. 

carolina_reaper_7_zpsfa81996a.jpg

Two people were interested in this one. I sold it a few days later. The guy who bought it was very excited and satisfied with the quality of the plant. I couldn't believe that I just sold a pepper plant for $25!! 

The season progressed and they kept on growing. The excitement grew. I was really looking forward to my first pod. Here are a couple of my plants in some six gallon buckets. Nothing but the finest soil and organic fertilizers for my babies. 

carolina_reaper_10_zps2e0c27e2.jpg

I put the smaller plant on the right on Craig's List. This time for $50. I thought, "No way someone is gonna buy this one for fifty bucks." Two days later a man from Indianapolis called me. He had been hunting all over for a Carolina Reaper plant but could not find one. He told me he could not believe it when he got on Craig's list and there was a Reaper. He also commented about how big and healthy it was. This man drove two hours and paid me fifty dollars for my Carolina Reaper plant! I was pumped!!

That man was very happy with his purchase. Judging from his reaction I bet I could have gotten more. I was happy and so was he. 
Then I started to read about some possible instability issues with the Reaper. I was like, "Oh No! What if I've been growing these for all this time and my peppers turn out wrong!? And what about those poor guys I sold my plants too!?"
I contacted the folks who bought the plants and let them know that if for some reason they are not satisfied then to please let me know. I haven't heard anything back from them still to this day. 
Eventually I started to get some pods. They looked like Reapers. I felt a lot better. WOOT WOOT! 

Reaper11_zpsd5b08f96.jpg

Reaper9_zps9d44a874.jpg

ReaperPods4_zpsd452aa42.jpg

They really started growing fast now. Pods were forming like crazy. I had very few flowers drop off.

xReaper4_zps851a7049.jpg

carolina_reaper_12_zpse59b3f48.jpg

ReaperPods2_zps81cb518f.jpg

Reaper10_zps024aef20.jpg

Cool nightwatchman you've got working the plants there. 

How's the flavor of your reapers?

The flavor is incredible. I'm not good at describing what it tastes like but they have a unique taste unlike any other superhot that I have tried. The first pods I picked weren't as hot as I thought that they would be but the most recent ones are unbelievably hot! They also have a stronger fragrance than the earlier pods. 
The little tails on all of my Reapers taste great and have absolutely no heat at all.

Nice man you done awesome for your first year! I got to try some reapers God willing 2014 I will grow some, I got more peppers than I know what t do with this year,,

I was asked why I have the 2 liter bottle in my bucket so I'll take the opportunity to explain my experiment this year.

Last year it was unusually hot for a long period of time here in Northern Kentucky. My plants in buckets were drying out so fast that is was quite a chore just to keep up on the watering. If they dried out too much then most of the water would just run right through the soil and out of the bottom. It seemed like it didn't want to absorb into the soil so I had to water very slowly to ensure that the soil was wet. It took a long time. Over the winter I came up with a few ways to save water and reduce the frequency of watering. The 2 liter was just one of the ways. I jammed it in the soil upside down and cut a small hole in it for filling. It takes about 20 minutes or so for the entire contents to slowly empty into the soil. The slower it goes in the more it absorbs. I also reduced the size and number of the drainage holes. I put 2 holes in the side a few inches up from the bottom. They are my over flow holes. I measured these out so that no more than one gallon of water will ever be in the bottom.

buckets_zpsd407023f.jpg

I only drilled two small holes in the bottom on the side for drainage and one very small hole on the bottom underneath the bucket. My yard has a very slight tilt to it so I made sure that these holes were always on the downhill side. I also checked often to make sure that the holes did not become clogged. I made sure to use a well draining soil. Since I was causing the water to slow down and not drain so fast I wanted to make sure that my soil mix would still drain.

buckets2_zps69441d28.jpg

This has worked great for me this year. Even when the temps are in the nineties for an extended period I only have to water every other day.

Here are a few of my recent pod pickins. All Carolina Reapers from the same plant.

PodsfromReaper15_zps7f58f68d.jpg

PodsfromReaper16_zps28ca48ea.jpg

After I was done cutting and deseeding them I licked one of the gloves I was wearing. I had a very nice five minute burn from it. I absolutely love the flavor of these.

Here are some of the seeds that I harvested a couple of weeks ago. They are dry enough to package now. 

SeedsfromReaper_zpse54ae5b2.jpg

More seeds drying.

SeedsfromReaper2_zpsbfc6c004.jpg

Here are a few pics I took today from my best Carolina Reaper plant. I have picked at least 30 pods from it so far and there are over 60 on it now. I have loads of blooms that are still setting pods. Pepper Joe seeds.

1PodsFromReaper2_zpsec8095aa.jpg

1PodsFromReaper_zps31bbaaff.jpg

PodsfromReaper24_zps60344893.jpg

PodsfromReaper20_zpsf2456a06.jpg

PodsfromReaper23_zps4a09e483.jpg

I have a second garden that is around the corner from where I live. It's in my parents yard. This plant was grown there.

carolina_reaper_14_zps8851f641.jpg

It was in the ground. I grew some sunflowers with my vegetables in that garden. Unfortunately they shaded my two Carolina Reapers too much. I didn't want to cut the sunflowers down because I had a few goldfinches and other birds that really like the seeds. I did end up cutting down a few that toppled over from the wind.
  Anyway, both of my Reapers in that yard grew about a dozen peppers each. They grew true to the type and ripened well. I dug this one up. I rinsed as much soil from the roots as I could then transplanted it into a two gallon bucket. The very next night all of the leaves fell off overnight except for the ones on the growing tips. It appears to have recovered very well though.

Back