• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Nagaquin F3 selection

So, it is time for an update on one of my breeing projects - the "Nagaquin". This year is the growout of the F3-generation. 6 plants were grown from an isolated F2-pod and there is already significantly more uniformity amongst the plants. They look quite the same, although there are minor differences, especially when it comes to flavor. Only 2 of the 6 plants had a clearly detectable Naga Morich-aroma. They are all able to dry on the plant without rotting, but the one I have selected for further breeding is ridged/furrowed and has a bit of striation/corking. It is early, sweet, citrusy-aromatic and very hot.
Once again I think this project proves that you can make improvements to a certain variety without going large-scale, so here's an encouragement to start breeding even though you cannot grow out thousands of F2-plants to select from...

The F3 selection...

Photos of the interior - first photo is, from left to right: 7 Pot Primo (although tail is missing, from Semillas), Oruro (chinense from Semillas - tip is blunted, not like on Semillas' website, this one may not be pure chinense as is lacks the typical chinense-aromas and pod set is one per node), the last one is the Nagaquin F3 Selection.

Back