• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Orange Habanero x C. Annuum

A funny hybrid that popped up from a very old bag of seeds (from my very first year growing peppers).
I've collected seeds from an Orange Hab pod and marked as possible hybrid because plants were very packed on my balcony.
The shape suggests me a Cayenne cross but there's some slightly corking like Jalapeno...

Heat is pretty good (i would say at least 100-150k SHU) with not much chinense taste so far (i'm not a big fan of chinense taste anyway). Seems like cayenne on steroids! A nice one to dry for sure.

Plant is very vigorous and growing tall and annuum-like.
I've already collected seeds and will probably grow some next year and share some if someone is interested in boring crosses :D

Cya

Datil

Think your right about the Cayenne, I've seen some corking on Cayenne's before a couple of seasons back so I don't think it's crossed with a Jalapeno.

I would have guessed a cross between a cayenne and jalapeno as I don't see any habanero traits.  Well that and I am currently growing a kung pao x jalapeno cross that doesn't look much different than that.  I usually refer to them as fake serranos as they aren't too different, just a little higher girth to length ratio and a little hotter.

Hi Dave,

as i wrote the seeds were collected from an Orange Hab pod so no doubts about that part of the cross.
The only hab trait that i really recognize is the heat level that is way higher than standard cayenne, let's see what F2 will bring ;)

Thanks for the input

Datil

Back