• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Bayless

Hey Guys,

Is anyone watching 'mexico: one plate at a time' by Rick Bayless? I got one of his cookbooks and Think he's got some awesome recipes.
But I've Never seen the show, cause I'm on the other side of the world.

Opinions anyone? I know he was on a Wendy's commercial (yeah, we get wendys, but no mexican :rolleyes:) and people seem to dislike him for it.

I wanted to get the DVD's but I hear they are edited hard, and there's not much show left. Plus they're $60 US, plus they don't ship outside USA, etc...

Oh yeah, sorry if this is in the wrong place, seemed to fit best here.

I don't watch TV, but new recipes are always good. Have you tried anything from the cookbook yet?

cheezydemon said:
I watch the food network and travel channel a lot for food ideas, I had bnever heard of him. I love mexican food!

I think he's on PBS (up to season 6 now!). He owns Frontera Grill and Topolobampo in Chicago, and has many cookbooks.

Here's an extract from one of his shows:

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Bayless

"Pam" said:
Have you tried anything from the cookbook yet?
Yeah, I got his 20th anniversary one, it's great. I use it everytime I cook, I also use 'Rosa's New Mexican Table' by Roberto SantibaƱez. Which is equally as good.

I never knew anything of this person before, until I bought some so called hot sauce bottles from frontera (at a local grocery store)
but I will admit 1 thing their (frontera) "red pepper hot sauce" is a tasty sauce, it is NOT HOT just to let you know right from the start. but the flavor is really good! if you like pumpkin & sesame seed flavor then this sauce might interest you. its a good flavor that needs a serious tweek on the heatness to make a great hot sauce, again its just my tastebuds speaking because of the seeds flavor.

Probably a variation of this one: (this is from His 'Authentic Mexican')

CHILIE DE ARBOL HOT SAUCE:
Salsa Picante de Chile de Arbol

Ingredients :

55 x Dried chiles de arbol
1 1/2 tbl Sesame seeds
2 tbl Shelled pumpkinseeds-pepitas
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds -or-
1/4 tsp Ground cumin
2 x Cloves-or a big pinch ground
4 Large Allspice berries (1/8th teaspoon ground)
1 tsp Dried oregano
1 tsp Salt (scant)
2 lrg Garlic cloves, peeled & roughly chopped
3/4 cup Cider vinegar

1* the chiles and seeds Stem the chiles, then roll them between your thumb and fingers, pressing gently to loosen the seeds inside. Break in half, shake out as many seeds as possible, then place in a blender jar. Heat an ungreased skillet over medium-low. Measure in the sesame seeds and stir for several minutes as they brown and pop; scoop into the blender jar. Add the pumpkinseeds to the skillet. When the first one pops, stir constantly for several minutes, until all are golden and have popped up into a round shape.

2* Blending the sauce Pulverize the cumin, allspice and cloves in a mortar or spice grinder, then add to the blender jar along with the oregano, salt, garlic and vinegar. Blend for several minutes, until the mixture is orange-red and feels quite smooth when a drop is rubbed between your fingers.

3* Straining and ripening the sauce Strain through a medium-mesh sieve, working the solids back and forth and pressing them firmly; there will be a fair amount of chile seeds, skins, sesame hulls and other debris to discard, but be careful that there is nothing liquid trapped within them. Stir in 3/4 cup water, then pour into a bottle, cover and let stand for 24 hours before serving.

That sounds good. I may have to look into these books, although I'm well over my book budget for the next couple of months.

Yeah I Might have to give it a go. Maybe with about 10 Arbols, a coulple of handfuls of Habs, and a couple of chipotle's. Should be good.

the_haunted said:
Yeah I Might have to give it a go. Maybe with about 10 Arbols, a coulple of handfuls of Habs, and a couple of chipotle's. Should be good.

Yeah, I'm not growing De Arbol's, so I was thinking the Kashmiri peppers that Daisy shared might work well as a substitute.

the_haunted said:
Probably a variation of this one: (this is from His 'Authentic Mexican')

CHILIE DE ARBOL HOT SAUCE:
Salsa Picante de Chile de Arbol

Ingredients :

55 x Dried chiles de arbol
1 1/2 tbl Sesame seeds
2 tbl Shelled pumpkinseeds-pepitas
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds -or-
1/4 tsp Ground cumin
2 x Cloves-or a big pinch ground
4 Large Allspice berries (1/8th teaspoon ground)
1 tsp Dried oregano
1 tsp Salt (scant)
2 lrg Garlic cloves, peeled & roughly chopped
3/4 cup Cider vinegar

1* the chiles and seeds Stem the chiles, then roll them between your thumb and fingers, pressing gently to loosen the seeds inside. Break in half, shake out as many seeds as possible, then place in a blender jar. Heat an ungreased skillet over medium-low. Measure in the sesame seeds and stir for several minutes as they brown and pop; scoop into the blender jar. Add the pumpkinseeds to the skillet. When the first one pops, stir constantly for several minutes, until all are golden and have popped up into a round shape.

2* Blending the sauce Pulverize the cumin, allspice and cloves in a mortar or spice grinder, then add to the blender jar along with the oregano, salt, garlic and vinegar. Blend for several minutes, until the mixture is orange-red and feels quite smooth when a drop is rubbed between your fingers.

3* Straining and ripening the sauce Strain through a medium-mesh sieve, working the solids back and forth and pressing them firmly; there will be a fair amount of chile seeds, skins, sesame hulls and other debris to discard, but be careful that there is nothing liquid trapped within them. Stir in 3/4 cup water, then pour into a bottle, cover and let stand for 24 hours before serving.

:cool: thanks for the recipe to the hot sauce I was speaking of, because the ingredients match. I think just add more de arbol chiles vs using habaneros (because of the different flavors, at least some mexican chile, well at least I will) & dont use water (its labeled on the hot sauce bottle)

I think I'll take a crack at making this hot sauce this summer, but a hotter version but still using mexican chiles to keep with the flavor.

I just came across this thread. I do watch his show. I am in Chicago but have not been to his restaurants. I know he has a new restaurant, I think it is less than 6 months old. I will have to look it up, can't remember the name.

Back