smokers just got my first smoker

i just got a smoker, new to me for free, and smoked my first meat... a london broil and beef brisket. the smoker is a brinkmann smoke'n grill. i am aware of all of its shortcomings but gave it a shot. one criticism was that it doesnt heat up and hold temp well, some said due to water pan placement. i found this to be inaccurate. both cuts cooked passed my target of medium. also, the temp gauge has no numbers, just low/ideal/hot reading. need to replace this! accurate temps are a must. overall i am excited to try this cooking method. second try with brisket turned out much better, but still not what i wanted. gotta keep trying...
btw, i was inspired by you good folks here to start smoking. so i blame you.

Glad you got a smoker! But I think you may need to read up on smoking, no offense, but you don't try to cook meat to medium, you smoke it, and it fully cooks. Low and slow. There is no M, MR, MW, etc. There are internal temps to look for, but that takes hours. You don't aim for medium. That's for grilling steaks.

And never heard of smoking a london broil.

Good luck.

a brinkmann smoke'n grill. yes, i am aware of its design flaws and limitations, but i cant complain when its free. i will make some mods and maximize its potential. worst thing is the poor temp gauge... no numbers, just low/ideal/hot. not accurate enough. first attempt was way over done. second was better, but still a bit overcooked. trial and error in my future!

Not a damn thing wrong with the ECB.
And at that price how could ya go wrong?
Trial and error is all part of the fun!

Where the hail are the pics?

I cooked on one of those Brinkmann's for a very long time, and had many delicious meals from them! Congratulations on your free gift, and welcome to your new addiction!

BTW.... those things make awesome beer can chickens!

Brisket is probably one of the harder cuts to smoke.
Low and slow is the key, but you don't have to be so concerned about the temps.
Anywhere between 225f-275f delta is the place you need to be.
If your smoker gets a bit outta range... No worries. Just bring it back in to your target temps.
Like THP said you don't want to shoot for a doneness. You need to hit target internal temps for what ever cut of meat your smoking and how you want it served.

London Broil can be smoked and is awesome!
Smoke it ~ 250f until you get to about 125f internal. Toss it into a cast iron skillet with a splash of EVOO and reverse sear it for a nice crust on the outside.
Let it rest about 10 minutes and BAM!

Change the gauge and add one to the middle approximate height of the middle rack - THP is correct as well as Smokemaster's link 

Brisket...... 190° F internal temp is the target. Not difficult, just requires patience and practice to be able to keep your temps stable all day long with charcoal/wood. Like Hops said.... 225 grill surface temp is PERFECT. And expect an hour per pound on the smoker at that temperature, if you bring your brisket to room temp before you put it on the smoker

I have been cooking on one of those Brinkmans for YEARS.  I am on my third one.  I happen to love how hands on they are.  It took a while, but I learned its nuances and can smoke anything I want on it.  Just keep practicing.

JayT said:
I have been cooking on one of those Brinkmans for YEARS.  I am on my third one.  I happen to love how hands on they are.  It took a while, but I learned its nuances and can smoke anything I want on it.  Just keep practicing.
That"ll learn ya!    Fo shoO!
 started smokin meats and Peppers the same way !

The Hot Pepper said:
And never heard of smoking a london broil.

Good luck.
It does make nice Jerky, when u can find it on sale!

PepTalk said:
It does make nice Jerky, when u can find it on sale!

Now that I believe. :)

Smoking... just never heard of it. Just brisket and tri-tip.

My smoker bible has always been http://www.amazingribs.com for research...  I have always loved his honest opinions and reviews of products.  

I had temp issues with my smoker when I got it too.  The sensor just isn't good enough for my liking.  (Might just be me being picky)  Take a look at the Maverick ET-732 Wireless Remote 2-Probe Thermometer.  I haven't been disappointed yet....  Here's the link of Meatheads reviews...  http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/thermometer_buying_guide.html

Good luck on all future smoking!!

Back