• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Ribs.... Sweet and Spicy Ribs....

Since I'm new to the site and I Love to smoke anything I figured I'd share something..

First is of my wifes (Yes, my wife is awesome) Char-Griller Duo with Side Fire Box..  It's "hers" but I'm the only one that uses it..  LOL

These were some Pork Spare ribs that turned out really good for the first time on a new grill.

Photo example of Grill.  Not hers...

Grill.jpeg

Before with a basic dry rub with a little brown sugar..

Before.jpg

Low and Slow at 225 for about 8 hours..  They were so tender and juicy..  Didn't do a lot of smoke on these because we wanted to taste the meat..  This is my way of seasoning seasoning a smoker.. LOL

After.jpg

I'll have some pics up soon of my electric smoker box that's mine.. 

That grill is badass, I have the same one myself...and my wife wants nothing to do with MY grill... :party:

Why didn't you trim the ribs? You like a meaty appendage hanging off the end of each rib?

8 hours at 225... they were done at 6 at 225, in most cases (3-2-1).

SORRY! Just sayin'. At this point they were probably separated from the bone, and the bone was dry, which is oversmoked. I would think! But if they were juicy and not totally "falling off the bone" (which is not good even though people use that term), you must have been closer to 200.

Actually the fact they were untrimmed probably helped keep the fat in and called for a longer smoke, but I don't like them like that. Did you remove the silverskin? I know, I know. But I hate untrimmed.

St. Louis Style Rib Trimming

Geesh, take it easy THP.  He can cut the rest of that off after it is smoked too ya know?  I would love to see a cut ribs pic next time so we can see the smoke ring.

The Hot Pepper said:
Why didn't you trim the ribs? You like a meaty appendage hanging off the end of each rib?

8 hours at 225... they were done at 6 at 225, in most cases (3-2-1).

SORRY! Just sayin'. At this point they were probably separated from the bone, and the bone was dry, which is oversmoked. I would think! But if they were juicy and not totally "falling off the bone" (which is not good even though people use that term), you must have been closer to 200.

Actually the fact they were untrimmed probably helped keep the fat in and called for a longer smoke, but I don't like them like that. Did you remove the silverskin? I know, I know. But I hate untrimmed.

St. Louis Style Rib Trimming
I am doing some tomorrow :)

Sorry, ribs get me angry sometimes. LOL. Caveman style has cartilage and rib tips at the end of each rib, and crisp membrane on the bottom of each rib. When you bite you want rib meat.

Joyner's, I will find your post tomorrow.

Pebcak, sorry dude. I'm critical. Like Jay says, post some individual pics, you can still win me over, lol.

Nice smoker there.

Yeah much better. But not St. Louis, that is the name after trimming. Before is spare ribs.

You trim pork spare ribs into a St. Louis cut.

When I lived in St. Louis (20 years ago) every package of spare ribs was sold as "St. Louis style", the end user did the final trimming. 

25 years ago you didn't see packages of baby back ribs in the stores there...

It's still hard to beat a pork steak sandwich from there.

I have to imagine you just remember that wrong, and possibly, they just left the membrane on. Why would they call them St. Louis style in St. Louis, unless they were changing something?

"Pork ribs, particularly spare ribs, are frequently cooked in the area. The city provides the name of St. Louis-style ribs, which are spare ribs with the sternum bone, cartilage and rib tips removed to create a rectangular-shaped rack. This cut of ribs, formalized by the USDA as "Pork Ribs, St. Louis Style," allegedly originated with numerous meat-packing plants located in the region in the mid 20th century.

You can buy them trimmed or trim them. I'm sure the packages you saw were trimmed if they said St. Louis style.

I'm a stickler on these simply because the cost and time of BBQ. Smoking 8 hours, with wood. And not trimming. Kinda like plopping ground beef on the grill instead of shaping a patty. And BBQ is expensive.

I guess in the end, if it tastes good, it's all good. But it just bugs me.

Could be...that WAS 20 years ago and I have slept since then.  I do remember trimming them and removing the membrane.

I suspect it was just marketing, the packer probably called them that to increase sales...

Back