• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Sorellina's Tomatoes 2008

Ciao a tutti-

I know, it's not peppers. I did post Duane's pepper list also in the pepper grow list thread.

Here's what I've got on deck this year, 1 plant per variety unless otherwise noted:

Big Red Pastes

Opalka - 2
Romeo - 2
Franchi Pear - 2

Colourful Pastes/Elongated

Kalman's Hungarian Pink
Myowna Orange
Evan's Purple Pear
Plum Tigris
Santa Clara
Kaki Coing
Cypriot
Orange Dino Eggs
Roughwood Golden Tiger
Piedmont
B2PL2-3-4 Pink F6

Hearts

Canadian Heart
LeDoux Special
White Oxheart
Belarusian Heart
Bytch'e Serdtse Orangevoe
Wes

Saladettes

White Zebra
Black & Red Boar
Pink Boar

Cherries

Una Hartsock
Chello
Chocolate Cherry
White Rabbit
Yellow Submarine
Sweet Quartz x Black Cherry F1

Weird Shapes

Eagle's Beak
Yellow Ruffled
Arbuznyi
Teton de Venus
Gezahnte

Beefsteaks

Berkeley Tie Dye
KBX
Ananas Noire
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Pork Chop
Dora

Determinates

Black Sea Man
Canary Rose Paste
Kotlas
Don Juan
Koralik
Cream Sausage
Jagodka
Manitoba
Kimberley Dwarf

Hanging Basket

Ditmarsher

Micro-Dwarfs in Small Pots

Latah
Tigerette Cherry
Tiny Tim
Hardin's Miniature
Yellow Canary
Red Robin
Florida Petite

Odd Genetics

Stick

Dwarf Project

Happy Brown RL1F4 - 2
Happy Brown RL2F4 - 2
Happy Purple RLF4 - 2
Sneezy RL1F4 - 2
Sneezy RL2F4 - 2
Sneezy PLF4 - 2
Summertime Green F4 - 2
Dwarf Lime Twist F4 - 2
Dwarf Emerald Giant F4 - 2

Pending (not started yet, in post)

Peace Yellow Paste
Roughwood Golden Plum PL
Pink Grapefruit
Furry Red Boar
Tiger Paw
Brown Flesh

I know a lot of you won't have heard of a lot of these. Some are research projects and some come from all parts of the globe. That's what's so fun about this hobby is trading with people for varieties you're not apt to find in your own neck of the woods. I started 64 of these today with the micro-dwarfs started on 20 March. I'll start the others once they arrive.

It begins!! :onfire:

Worth repeating - WOW!

Those are some interesting names there. You've got me curious to try & look some of those up just to see what they look like.

Ciao a tutti-

I'm Italian, I do a lot of cooking, a lot of canning, a lot of eating, and a lot of giving away. Ask any Italian, food equals love. And all those peppers my husband grows? They get used, too. Peppers, eggplants, beans, and tomatoes, they all go together very well. I also grow several different kinds of basils.

Very nice list. I'm sending a PM with my list of tomatos and peppers. I'm always up for swapping seeds. :)

Ciao!

If anyone is keen to trade seeds with me, I'm more than happy to oblige. I'm still getting to know my way around here, but I went ahead and posted my 2008 Trade List over in the Marketplace area. If you don't find a tomato you're really keen to try, send me a PM anyway, I may have it in short supply. All of the varieties on this list for 2008 are new to me so I don't have trades available for those right now, but I should in the Fall, so keep that in mind. ;) I don't have pepper seeds to trade, that's Duane's thing and he's still learning about how far away to keep his plants for seed purity. Tomatoes don't seem to cross nearly as easily as peppers and the seeds are viable for a longer time.

Have fun and once again, grazie mille to all of you for your kind words. :)

That is a very nice grow list. I agree, WOW...Growing up, I spent the summers with my grandparents and they too had a huge garden, Italian style... My grandfather was obsessed with his garden, which also included all of the typical Italian spices and herbs. He perfected the art of staggering his planting so that we had fresh veggies all season. I think that is the root to my gardening passion.

My Grandmother would make all sorts of treats from the garden as well as canning and freezing everything, nothing went to waste. This is also probably where my passion for cooking comes from.

Wishing you a bountiful harvest...

If I could stop myself from growing more varieties of peppers and in higher numbers than I should, I may grow some tomatoes, too!

A great list though! As you said, I haven't heard from most of the varieties, so I hope you'll post some pics, too!?

I love italian food, all the stuff I love is used in there: tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, olives, pasta (of course....). Toobad you're not in the neighborhood! ;)

POTAWIE said:
Sorellina have you grown the Principe Borghese or similar? and do you sundry(or ovendry) any tomatoes?

I have ovendried and used a dehydrator for mine. In fact 2 seasons ago I used my overload of cherry tomatoes to dry and they turned out fantastic!
Store them in Olive Oil and spices and voila!

Ciao Potawie-

Yes, I do dry several of my tomatoes, especially cherries. I always always have too many cherries but it never stops me from growing a whole row of different coloured ones. I've grown Principe Borghese and I love the flavour. When dried, it has concentrated tomato paste/pizza sauce flavour to it, but it's not particularly productive. Borgo Cellano is a larger-fruited drying tomato, still a determinate, but much more productive. I also use Black Plum, a compact indeterminate for drying as well. I would say of the three, Black Plum is my particular favourite, but my tastes lean towards black tomatoes anyway. They have a rich, sometimes even salty flavour.

When I grew up in California, I always dried the tomatoes (and figs too) outside on screens with my Nonna. It's too humid in Toronto to do that, the fruit would attract insects and rot before they dried. I use a dehydrator and I monitor it carefully so they don't get crispy, but stay leathery like I want them.

Paul, your experiences sound very familiar. I think younger people are starting to appreciate growing their own food and preserving it so we might be starting to turn back to natural home-made food products. I hope so, it's cheaper and so much healthier.

Chiliac, don't worry, I definitely plan on posting photos. I have plenty from last year and 2006 also that I could post now to get us all anticipating the fruits of Summer. :party:

Sorellina - Love to see your garden. Like to see how you organize your plants. What type of support you use, etc.
Sungold grew more than 8 feet tall.

Here is my SunGold Picture from last year.
IMG_0002.jpg

Sorellina said:
When I grew up in California, I always dried the tomatoes (and figs too) outside on screens with my Nonna. It's too humid in Toronto to do that, the fruit would attract insects and rot before they dried. I use a dehydrator and I monitor it carefully so they don't get crispy, but stay leathery like I want them.

You know, we might just be related...Most of my family is from California, more specifically, Santa Rosa area. They had a huge ranch where they grew plums/prunes, vineyards and apricots. They also raised their own beef and pork. My Grandparents ranch had, beside a wonderful garden, a huge English walnut orchard along with numerous fruit trees and Figs. There is nothing like a fresh fig.

Very true... there is nothing like a fresh fig! I have a few fig plants in my greenhouse here in Toronto - anyone else have any fig trees?

Ciao all-

Per your request, I've included some photos from the garden at various stages.

Some seedlings at the potting up stage, shortly after transplanting:
PottedupDwarfs050807.jpg

The hardening off process:
HardeningOffFestival052107.jpg

Just after transplanting into the main tomato bed and 4" of straw mulch placed around plants:
HappytoHavethePlantsintheGround0524.jpg

The main tomato bed in mid July containing 6 rows of 6 plants, spaced 2 feet apart in each row with 3 feet between each row. Stakes are cedar 2x2" x8' tall sunk 1' into the ground:
MainTomatoBed072007.jpg

Very nice plants and great use of space. I use similar stakes and people always laugh when the plants are small and the stakes are so big but at the end of the season they understand.

Back