• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Black Label

Product Name: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Black Label

Style: Roasted Pepper Sauce

Manufacturer: Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Onions, apple cider vinegar, water, Nana Mae's organic apple sauce, jalapeno peppers, garlic, dried figs, scorpion peppers, sea salt, lime juice concentrate

Label/Packaging: The label is the same logo and everything as the others in the line, but there is a problem with the Black Label, it makes everything hard to read. From a distance it just looks all black. Might want to consider changing the letter colors for the future.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance of the sauce is a little drab. The consistency looks good with lots of flesh and spices apparent, but the brown color is not really all that appealing. That is forgotten as soon as the bottle is opened, however. The aroma is fantastic! I am immediately greeted with the sweet smell of the fruits as well as the savory of the garlic, chiles, and onion. Can't wait to try it.

thehotpepper.com premiere review of LDHS Black Label.  Will it bring the heat?  Or is it a dud?

Body of Review:
I think I was one of the first to review Scott Zalkind's Lucky Dog Hot Sauces.  I have been very pleased with what I have had so far, but have always had one complaint.  I wanted more heat.  He promises this time to deliver that along with a slightly different flavor profile with figs and apple to his already spectacular roasted peppers and onion combination.  Let's see how he did...

While tasting the sauce I am immediately greeted with the roasted flavor of the peppers and onions which I am accustomed to from Scott's sauces.  It is his signature.  The sweetness of the fruit is there, but not overwhelming.  The garlic is still there, but not overpowering.  I am not sure I can make out the flavor of the scorpions themselves, but they are definitely there.  I have always had a hard time wrapping my head around onion and garlic in a fruity sauce, but this one really works.  It has such complementary flavors that everything is well balanced.  I like the use of figs and apples together.  Damn this stuff tastes good! 

The consistency is right on.  It is very pourable, but not runny at all.  There are no seeds, and everything is perfectly mixed.  Best consistency of any of LDHS' so far. 

Heat, ahhh heat.  This is where I am most impressed.  Scott has delivered the goods, FINALLY!!!!  Eating a spoonful I get a little tinge on the tongue, and it slowly spreads through the whole mouth.  Not too much in the throat, but a little.  It is just the right amount of heat that allows you to keep on coming back for more and more.  After about three spoonfuls I have a little sweat, which I like.  It is a sauce that is hot enough for a chilehead to enjoy but not too hot for the masses.  Perfect! 

Now what to eat this sauce on...

Heat Level: 7

Applications: I have eaten this sauce by itself, on pizza, as a dipping sauce, and even added it to a tartar sauce. It is very versatile. I think it would be great on chicken, pork, fish, even egg rolls.

Appearance Score: 4
Aroma Score: 5
Taste Score: 5
Mouthfeel Score: 5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4.5

Overall Score: 4.7

Notes: I have no complaints, but I would suggest rethinking the label print colors. This is the best sauce I have had yet from Lucky Dog Hot Sauce and it really does bring enough heat to make me happy. I am going to go finish my bottle now. Get your own!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 83
Frickin awesome sauce!  Just got my bottle in the mail today.  JayT is right, the sweetness and the garliciness (is that a word?) really do pair well together.  Like JayT said, you are instantly greeted with the taste of the roasted peppers, then for me it starts to be combined with the seetness and finally, the garlic kicks in.  I can make out the flavor of the figs more than the apples.  It's a wonderful assortment of flavors and I must agree that this the the best tasting one Scott has created!  The heat is much better in this version, but would not overpower the average customer.  So Scott has hit his mark wonderfully. Great job Scott!  And excellent review JayT!

JayT, my friend, I have no doubts.  I've been reading your sauce reviews for years and you have never once steered me wrong. 

The Black Label just rounds out what I have been anticipating as perhaps one of the most coherent, tasty, and downright purty sauce lineups around. 

Plus, Scott is just a dandy cat too.  Pleasure doing business with you, bro! 

compmodder26 said:
Frickin awesome sauce!  Just got my bottle in the mail today.  

Awesome - you must have ordered on Monday? 
Idiot Piquant said:
Plus, Scott is just a dandy cat too.  Pleasure doing business with you, bro! 

Hey thanks IP! 

I never mind feedback on the vendor forum from satisfied customers.
;)

Unlike Jay, I like the color. Looks like a savory apple butter, perfect for pork, and seeing as it has apple sauce and is cooked down, that makes perfect sense.

Congrats and good luck.

Good job Jay.

One day I hope to try it.

Ello El, Scovie!  *backs away slowly*

Also realized I should have posted in the other LDHS thread.
Apologies for crapping up your review thread JayT. 

I'll come back around and try to add something of substance when inspiration strikes. 

me and the wife got to try this today. as soon as the mail got here i warmed up a chop just so we could taste it with food, we are both digging. there is just so much flavor in these ldhs sauces its stupid.  black label very very nice! im looking forward to the next couple weeks as run threw my two bottles.

edit
p.s.  nice review jay t. yadda yadda yadda :rofl:

Back