• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Ginormous Store Jalapenos

QuadShotz

Banned
I bought these tonight at a local store..good grief...

S6300541.JPG

Largest ones I ever seen.

I bought them to stuff with Brie and minced habs for poppers, but wow...they are huge. About 2x the normal size I see in stores.

-Q

I actually got 1 seed from them to sprout out of about 30 I tried to start...it's a real slow grower. It's only about 4" high now & i'm already pinching flower buds off it.
Will be interesting to see if it puts out the big pods again.

AlabamaJack said:
I am curios about the heat of them...

I just made poppers outa them, and while doing so ate a couple of the plancentas I'd cored out since I didn't want to waste 'em.

They are quite hot for a Jalapeno IMO. Hotter than I'd thought they would be and lots hotter than the last time I bought from a store. Reason I say that is I never usually wear gloves on less than a hab, and I kinda wished I had this time. Good 'ol tingle fingers now.

More pics in the other thread here: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=5271

Very dense inside, and TONS of seed. That pile of seed, was from 3 of them.

*edit*
There were in the regular produce section at Albertson's BTW.

-Q

Very nice very good and man I wish spring would hurry and so I can sink my fangs into a juice of a hot pepper and say DANG thats hot

I hate to be the party pooper here, but alot of my Jalapeno got much larger than that when I grew them with eqyual amout of seeds......

No worries, I just wonder if it's a different kind or why they are so much bigger?

I know there's a lot of varieties, but never saw ones in a supermarket like that.

I'd assume that home-grown will always be better like a small-batch beer is, but just curious. They sure seem like healthy peppers.

the largest according to a so called expert(cough) is jalapeno gigantica and pods are massive..apprently..just got some seed so we will see..they do look :drooling: nice though.

The attempt to grow Jalapenos from seeds taken from fresh peppers is almost futile. The green Jalas are not ripe yet and so are the seeds. bental, you're lucky you got one to germinate.

talas said:
the largest according to a so called expert(cough) is jalapeno gigantica and pods are massive..apprently..just got some seed so we will see..they do look :drooling: nice though.

I think the Gigantia grows up to 5 inches long.

a short lived success I'm afraid YL, and actually if there was a chile growing competition version of (variety/DNA) drug testing I'd probably be disqualifed. it turns out that my little annuums were purple cayennes, not maxis. I was given the seedlings by a fellow C-Head and they were mislabelled.

That's a shame, is it too late for you to start again? I don't think the competition is just for biggest Jalapeno, I think best corking on any size comes into it too. You can only register on the list with one type of Jalapeno but I'm growing 'standard' ones, Jalapeno Jumbo and Jalapeno Grande, I think the Jumbo is the longer of the two, I'm not sure, I kind of chose them by the names :)

That's what I'm growing Potawie Jalapeno M (Jumbo). I got my Jalapeno's all muddled up. The Jalapeno M (Jumbo) grows on average to 3 inches long, the Jalapeno Grande is 4 inches by 1.5 inches. I only know this thanks to the chileman database. I think you'd be in with a winning chance for corking Potawie and if a lot of English are growing in the competition then length too (crap summers we have).

I don't think I can qualify with that one since I started it in December before the contest began. I do have lots of other Jal varieties coming along though.
Someone's got 10cm already, my biggest is about 7 1/2cm

That's a good size Potawie. I've just looked on there and 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th place live in England. I must be doing something very wrong, especially as I live in Kent which is in the south east with the better weather.

Back