• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Capsicum rhomboideum - rare wild review!!!

Capsicum rhomboideum is a rare wild chili, distributed from Southern Mexico down Central America to Columbia and Venezuela. There has been some discussion as to whether this species really belongs to the genus Capsicum or not, but the most recent work suggests it does (Hunziker, Barboza & Bianchetti in 2001). 

Although it is claimed to have zero heat, I found that the ones I ate had quite a noticeable level of heat. There was also a truly delicious flavor that reminded me of sweet vanilla bean. I`m not sure about the disparity concerning the heat, but I do wonder how many people have actually eaten these. Put a reply here if you have eaten them and let me know what you found.

My 2 plants came from Shawn, Pepperproblem, as very small seedlings. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwtRMmKWY_I&feature=youtu.be

Always love your review, Nigel. 

It would be a nice tribute to see some seeds from these passed around ya'll who can grow. 

This sort of wide ranging rare pepper exploration resonates with me much more deeply than the race for 2x10^6 SHU. 

Prost! 

Idiot Piquant said:
Always love your review, Nigel. 

It would be a nice tribute to see some seeds from these passed around ya'll who can grow. 

This sort of wide ranging rare pepper exploration resonates with me much more deeply than the race for 2x10^6 SHU. 

Prost! 
If I manage to get enough seeds I will share them. My plants have around 15 pods on them and perhaps another 10-15 flowers. I think Shawn got the seeds from Millworkman on here. Check out this link,

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38604-wild-varieties-what-is-your-favorite/page-5

I really love doing reviews of odd, strange and rare peppers. 

Great review Nigel!

I grew out a pepper from St. Helena last year and while it wasn't all the odd or strange, it was where it came from that made it so unique. Had been grown in Jamestown for the past 100 or more years. Got the seeds directly from a Saint still living in Jamestown.

saugapepper said:
Great review Nigel!

I grew out a pepper from St. Helena last year and while it wasn't all the odd or strange, it was where it came from that made it so unique. Had been grown in Jamestown for the past 100 or more years. Got the seeds directly from a Saint still living in Jamestown.
That`s both odd and strange in my book Conor! Getting something like that from a Saint? Priceless.

PepperDaddler, this post is about Rhomboideum, not Turbocap.  In order to keep people on track I have removed your posts from above.  Helps with those searching out Rhomboideum finding true info rather than Turbocap pictures on a google search because of this thread title.

I think I understand. But how does that stop someone looking on another thread for lets say Butch T not come up with a zillion hits as well? I guess all I mean is why am I targeted?

By the way , once again a great review Nigel. I'm sure your tired of hearing that by now.

And, Milworkman. I think I understand.

Those look tasty! I really need to broaden my horizons and grow some of these! Wonderful looking peppers followed by another awesome vid! Thanks Nigel!

Nigel,cool review mate. I'm guessing this is a first. More importantly,Shawn is definitely diggin it,I know he loved the undomesticated varieties.

Noah's Rhombo was a work of art! Not a single leaf out of place. The pods and flowers are the ultimate goal but seeing a plant without even a pinhole in a leaf is what gets me pumped. Like sexy baby spinach leaves. Most of the wilds have incredible leaf structure..... O.K. I'm done.

Pr0digal_son said:
Nigel,cool review mate. I'm guessing this is a first. More importantly,Shawn is definitely diggin it,I know he loved the undomesticated varieties.

Noah's Rhombo was a work of art! Not a single leaf out of place. The pods and flowers are the ultimate goal but seeing a plant without even a pinhole in a leaf is what gets me pumped. Like sexy baby spinach leaves. Most of the wilds have incredible leaf structure..... O.K. I'm done.
Thanks John. Shawn did, didn`t he? And he was so generous with the seeds/plants, too. 

If I could ever get any wild a tenth as good as Noah`s rhomboideum, I`de be really stoked. I`m stoked enough just with my meagre efforts!!!

Back