• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to take a pepper cutting

cut01.jpg

cut02.jpg

cut03.jpg

cut04.jpg

garden5.jpg

garden6.jpg

garden7.jpg

garden8.jpg

The two most right front pots have the plants that the little ones came from.
That are all bhuts except for the one with the white tag which is a Fatali.
Something tells me I will be going back to Habs because anything hotter will be all heat and not enough atomic mass left for flavor?

Nute said:

Something tells me I will be going back to Habs because anything hotter will be all heat and not enough atomic mass left for flavor?[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much a matter of taste. A lot of people are not THAT fond of the Habanero aroma and are happy to sth like Fatalii. Anything hotter should be used in moderation, of course and can add an interesting extra aroma aside from the heat.

If Habaneros are your faves and the perfect match of aroma and heat: go ahead. Great pics btw!

Hey Nute...glad to see you again...question...

have you ever tried grafting from one plant to another....just wonderning...my grandfather use to graft some domestic varieties on to wild varieties...

wondering about peppers and what impact/effect grafting would have on them...any ideas?

AlabamaJack said:
wondering about peppers and what impact/effect grafting would have on them...any ideas?

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I have ever heard about it being done. If it'd work out allright, you should end up having a plant of the variety you grafted on whatever...

I have no idea if the DNA would get mixed up, but I don't think so...

I remembered what my grandpa grafted...the parent tree was a wild persimmon and he grafted a "Quince" branch on it...the fruit was great and made the best Jelly....I don't know why he grafted them unless it was to keep the fruit high off the ground to keep grazing animals from eating them....

I'm far from being an expert from grafting, but I think the main reason is to get a "fully working", rooted plant in as little time as possible. Also some plants grow very slow from seeds are nearly impossible to germinate or can't be raised from cuttings etc... in these cases grafting comes in handy. It is also done a lot with cacti and hibiscus for exactly that reason. Ever tried to grow cacti from seeds?? Don't try this if you are above 65! You may never see the results!

You could graft several varieties onto one stock and have multiple varieties on one plant. This is often done with apples to make an interesting plant and I'm sure it could be done with peppers too.

I am going to ask a stupid question...does the nutrient channel from the roots to the leaves, buds/flowers ever carry any genetic material to the other parts to the plants?

nt totally true...grafting to a root system that isn't as strong as the parent can cause small or sparse fruit production...this tends to happen a lot when you graft fruit trees and such to make a "dwarf" type of tree.

You wont get any DNA to transfer. Sometimes people do it because one plant might have better roots but another makes better fruit. In Europe they do it with wine grapes. They use the disease resistant American roots and the European top for the grapes that make the wine they are used to.

The hydroguard is optional
The Olivias cutting gel can be replaced with cutting powder or dip and grow

Back