• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Three Chile Chicken Dumplings

I taste a sliver of a pod, evaluate the heat and the flavor, then cook, or my lady does while I am at work.

#5 Cream Fatali, Cayenne and UBSC Chicken Dumplings

I tasted the cream fatali, provided by coheed,  It had very little heat but a great flavor, so I decided we would use both of them.  We still needed some heat, so I tasted a beautiful UBSC that I had received in the same box.  It was very sweet, with a very nice citrusy flavor, and it was extremely hot.  So we used half of that pepper and an unripe green cayenne from my garden that added some kick and some green flavor.

We made chicken dumplings by mixing, ginger, garlic, lime zest, cabbage, carrot, three chiles, and dark meat chicken.  They we stuffed in wonton wrappers and steamed, served with an egg and soy sauce dipping sauce, fresh crisp salad, and jasmine rice. 

These are the smooth flavorful cream fatali peppers that we used.

This is the spicy UBSC we used.

The dumpling mix (minus the cabbage.)

Steaming dumplings.

Family style, dumplings, salad and rice.

Final product.

Amazing dumplings the pepper flavor went very nicely with the garlic, ginger, lime flavor, and the heat came through nicely.  Cooking with these peppers really does wonders to make them palatable.  My girlfriend won't go near the things raw but has definitely stepped it up when it comes to cooking with them and eating these spicy dishes.

And by the way my house smells amazing!

Any ideas, suggestions or comments are welcomed and encouraged.

Jordan awesome dish mon & great job, looks delicious! Great pictures too, now I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with fried wontons too.

HopsNBarley said:
That's looks amazing!
Was the chicken mixture cooked any before steaming?
How long did you steam?

The dumplings steamed for five minutes then were covered to stay warm.  Nothing was precooked before it was steamed. The chicken was cooked through by then.  My lady says that if it was breast meat it would have only taken three minutes, but I would stick with five to be on the safe side.  The consistency of the rest of the filling was spot on after five minutes.
Also you need to make sure the steamer is well oiled before each batch so the delicate wrappers don't break.
Thanks for your interest.

You didn't make your own wonton wrappers? No biggie, they're just easy. But I get pre-made for speed. The dumplings look divine!

geeme said:
You didn't make your own wonton wrappers? No biggie, they're just easy. But I get pre-made for speed. The dumplings look divine!
We have made them in the past, but it's just a matter of space in our small kitchen and prep time for the meal.  It just stinks to make all the wrappers and then have them stick or rip and not have any extras, so then you end up with meatballs.  We will try again though.  Thanks for the comments.

We try to keep it classy as often as possible.  My lady has been in charge of that lately as I have been working late.  If you look closely in one of those pictures you can see the fresh mint, vodka martini that she had ready for me when I got home.  We save a lot by cooking and not going out to eat.  So we try to use as quality, and fresh ingredients as possible, within a reasonable price point.  For her birthday earlier this month I ordered a tray of uni and we made a decadent bisque with it.

Keep it classy! :party:

Back