• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

RocketMan's Burning Prairie Hot Sauce

Burning Prairie

3CC3ECE5-1A4F-4A3E-9A6C-CFA91EB20190-1464-000003E348A0CC81_zpsb5ff7dd7.jpg

Nopales
Tomatillos
Jalapeño
Seranno
And a few secret yummies ;)

Fermenting for 90

Ok, not 90 days yet but I gotta finish this one, it's driving me nuckin futs waiting. So, I'll be processing it tonight. Here's the line up

And a starter label

More to come so stay tuned sauce fans :)

Well, it's back to the starting blocks. Got pulled away by the kids and when I got back it had brunt, not a nice smell either, BUT, I will be recreating this. That's for sure cause te taste I had if it after the first blending was fantastic!

Yeah, it happens though. If I hadn't been so focused on what was going on I'd have had someone turn it down but with special needs kids you have to really focus on what's happening. Might try putting one together with fermenting and see what I think also. I'll update with what ever i decide to do though.

Bill! Love this idea! Place in Austin, roadside taco stand, had this breakfast taco with Nopales to die for. A simple little breakfast taco? Oh yeah. This is brilliant and while stuff just happens, I bet this was an excellent ferment and sauce in making! Look so forward to any repeats! 

Two years ago I stuck a dozen opuntia pads in a bare spot in the front yard. Judging by how they took off last summer, I may have to thin out the patch this year and try something like this. Thanks for the inspiration! Next, I need to get some tequila and start coming up with a game plan...
     When did you pick those pads? Are there any tricks to picking them before they start getting tough?

Cilantro? I thought cilantro turned black and slimy when fermented

Before I noticed the cilantro, I already wondered about the slime factor of fermented cactus.

Dash, is was slimy going into the jar but when I processed the first batch there was no slimy at all. Oh, I bought these at te Spanish market, didn't grow them.

In the first batch it was fine and still had a good fresh cilantro scent. The flavor after cooking down though was just a part of the overall flavor profile.

Back