• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Stunted seedling and purplish color

Hi all,

This year has been bad for me growing peppers.  The first pepper I started  early this spring stunted right after (or maybe  before) I transplanted them outside. I don't have a picture to show but the main problem was that they didnt grow an inch in like 4-5 weeks, they had a bit of purple color but other than that they looked healty. I knew I would not bring them to fruit (lack  time)  so I chopped them off.

So just for fun I started another batch and tough I could try to grow a couple inside. They started very well and looking healthy but after I transplanted them to 4 inch pots they kinda stunted again. Now it's been 3-4 weeks and they havn't grow much. They show the same purplish color and have some curly leaves but overall they look healthy. The root system looks very good but they just don't grow. I also noticed the stems are getting quite thick and strong. Here is the picture

I have a few ideas where that might be coming from but I'd need some help pinpointing what I am doing wrong. So here is the deal

1) They were started in common black garden soil
2) Light cycle 18/6 under a LED pannel that I built, 6-10 inch away from seedlings
3) Fed with 10-52-10 plant prod starter fert only once when I transplanted to 4 inch pots
4) Maybe I watered a bit much , but I usually wait until wilt to water

Can that be caused by too much light exposition? Here is the led pannel

As you can see I moved the seedling away from the led pannel (i needed it for the hydro one).
Just fyi, I just got my hydro TScorp (right one) inside because it's getting cold outside. I also tranfered one of the stunted Bhut to the middle hydro setup to see if it could help getting him started. Just so you see how bad is this years growing look at last year !

update02.jpg

Thx in advande for the help

Maybe try removing the light all together let them feed from natural sun light when possible, in a window or something, and see how they go. How old are the seedlings? They look quite stocky for such short plants. This was my first season and now my plants are about a month old, they have about 6 true leaves, about the same height as yours but there stalks are very thin compared to these.

Back