• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Watching others try to grow peppers...

...can be painful at times.

My dad saved some seeds from a Yellow Bell Pepper.

(Ok, so this is a hot pepper forum, but they're still peppers)

Anyway... he started them in the bottom of 2 styrofoam egg cartons, with no drain holes, and in "Back-Yard-Mud" (read 50% clay 50% who knows what).

And I watched him water them today... flooded them. Over 8oz of water per tray... "But Dad.... the soil was already wet!"
I didn't say anything cause he's the "old-fashioned I'm right cause I'm a man & older and you're wrong cause you're just a girl type"
Oh well...

Mine are doing better than expected.. all of them.. so I'm happy! I'll have my Yellow Bell Peppers & he won't.

Update: Ugh... He got worse. See what I mean? Back-Yard-Mud" growing Who Knows What and placing seeds on top of the soil? Come on!
Image3.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

That was nice of you not to say anything:)
Kinda just like yesterday with me my g/f and her mom.
She told her mom i was growing hot peppers and her
mom said oh get me some seeds i want a couple of plants
g/f took a look at my plants(although I am a newbie they are
coming along well) and g/f told her mom "no mom Tom will
start them for you" :lol:

Poisonette said:
...can be painful at times.

My dad saved some seeds from a Yellow Bell Pepper.

(Ok, so this is a hot pepper forum, but they're still peppers)

Anyway... he started them in the bottom of 2 styrofoam egg cartons, with no drain holes, and in "Back-Yard-Mud" (read 50% clay 50% who knows what).

And I watched him water them today... flooded them. Over 8oz of water per tray... "But Dad.... the soil was already wet!"
I didn't say anything cause he's the "old-fashioned I'm right cause I'm a man & older and you're wrong cause you're just a girl type"
Oh well...

Mine are doing better than expected.. all of them.. so I'm happy! I'll have my Yellow Bell Peppers & he won't.

do him a favour and punch some little holes in the cartons, a nice secret to keep to yourself and he probably won't notice

I hear ya man .
I read posts here about the weird problems that people are having and wonder what the hell they are doing to get that problem..
being a greenhouse owner I am not an expert but I can grow 3000 bush tomatoes with no problem and some cant get 3 seeds to grow ..
but I also have a greenhouse and I am not trying to grow under a 4 year old grow tube .
growing indoors is an art in itself and in my opinion its should be left for the weed guys or at least people that understand that you need more than 80 watts of light to grow 30 pepper plants.....
I suggest you set up dear old dad with some good seed starting mix and some proper trays as I think you can teach and old dog new tricks.

On a positive note..watching others here and how they do things is a great thing for me. I just planted my first sprouts ever and can't wait for the rest of the seeds to arrive. :)

I'm slighly less tactful when it comes to my Dad, I told him exactly where he went wrong with his bell peppers last year, at least he'll get some this year.

My dad would never admit he made a mistake if I told him, but next time I'm around he'd do it exactly the way I told him to without mentioning it.

Pride can be a burden I guess... :)

shayneyasinski said:
growing indoors is an art in itself and in my opinion its should be left for the weed guys or at least people that understand that you need more than 80 watts of light to grow 30 pepper plants.....

I don't want to start any controversy, but when I went to local greenhouses (4 total) for information on growing peppers indoors they refused claiming they thought I was growing weed. Needless to say they will never get my business.

God do I know that feeling.

I live in eastern WA state..

Needless to say the only thing that's more prevelent than weed is meth. And, me being a long-hair anyways..well, you get the idea.

shayneyasinski said:

Fortunately, someone like you wasn't around to discourage me when I got started. I killed a lot of plants, then read a lot of books and got advice from some very gracious Southern Lady gardeners, and I learned from my mistakes.

I think we're really lucky to have forums like this all over the Internet these days, where people can get good gardening advice so they don't have to kill as many plants as I did.

Pam said:
Fortunately, someone like you wasn't around to discourage me when I got started. I killed a lot of plants, then read a lot of books and got advice from some very gracious Southern Lady gardeners, and I learned from my mistakes.

I think we're really lucky to have forums like this all over the Internet these days, where people can get good gardening advice so they don't have to kill as many plants as I did.

Heh, i'm proly gona date myself here..

When I was about 12, I had an acre of pure organic garden to my own devices. I planted sweet peas, potatoes in a tire, kohl-rabi, you name it.

Used marigolds and garlic as deterrents, etc.

Even tok 3 years of selective seed and hybridized an all brown Marigold jus cus i felt like it. Good times.

I grew up country, and Organic Gardening, Mother Earth News, and Burpee were my friends. :)

Feels nice to get back into it.

I've watched and listend to all ya'll say here, but in the end..i just feel what's right.

shayneyasinski said:
I hear ya man .

Starting plants with lights is the easiest way to get a jump start on the growing season. I personally would not be growing peppers at all if I didn't have my 80 watt light for a month or two+. If you're talking about trying to get fruit indoors that is a more difficult matter, but hey what's wrong with trying to have some fun with your hobby/addiction especially during a cold winter.

DrHavanger said:
I don't want to start any controversy, but when I went to local greenhouses (4 total) for information on growing peppers indoors they refused claiming they thought I was growing weed. Needless to say they will never get my business.

Goto a Hydroponic store they should be able to help :P

I have a similar yet different "watching someone mess up" scenario.

My neighbors from India (really nice people) have only lived in the neighborhood for a year. He loved my hot peppers last year, so I offered to give him some of my extra plants that I was having trouble giving away.
He said "SURE! I would love to have them." COOL!

But then my wife tells me that his wife told her that he can't keep a thing alive.....they plan to hire out all of their landscaping and grass cutting this year.........

I am in fear for my babies.:(

shayneyasinski said:
but I also have a greenhouse and I am not trying to grow under a 4 year old grow tube .

Well, that is nice for you, but I don't have a greenhouse and my tubes are new.

Mom raised me to grow anything anywhere. Indoors or out. Plants only need so much.

Plus, I only plan to have perhaps 10 plants max, if that. All going to be perma-indoors since I live 3 stories off of a 5-way intersection.

Do you live in a 1BR apt? I doubt it. ;)

My grow may be more problematic and simplistic, but it's fun for me.

DrHavanger said:

That's unreal. They sound like they are just a bunch of idiots, but if there is no hydro shop in your state then they are likely getting lots of pressure on them by police and/or politicians. It almost sounds like indoor grower discrimination, time to get Jackie Chiles.:lol: Its definitely not like that up here in Canada.

POTAWIE said:
That's unreal. They sound like they are just a bunch of idiots, but if there is no hydro shop in your state then they are likely getting lots of pressure on them by police and/or politicians. It almost sounds like indoor grower discrimination, time to get Jackie Chiles.:lol: Its definitely not like that up here in Canada.

It sucks for sure, but there's always a work-around for everything.

Yeah, but Potawie, keep in mind in Canada, pot is unoficially legal..i smoked a doobie wit a RMCP at 2am on a corner in Vernon.

Here, you look wrong and yer doing/growing drugs, or worse.

Literally, I bought a gallon of bleach the other day and since I have long hair and may seem un-normal..clerk was looking at me funny.

News is all about drug busts and meth this and that..stoopid dam drug anyway. I've done most any drug you can think of in the olde days, but that's just silly.

No shit, every person I've talked to about growing chilis, they think..yaaa, riiiight... Even my family wonders.

There is NO chilehead faction here, the only sauce store went bankrupt yrs ago.

Cretins. Glad I'm still a Canadian.

Back