• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Smart pot/root pouch/air pruning results

I took this video last night as I was tossing out my Not Black Naga. I just wanted to show any body that has never used any type of air pruning pot what they can do for your plants. This is why I usethem and even tthough I now have an in ground plot, I will still grow a few of my favorite plants in a root pouch.

P.S I live in Alabama so please excuse my hick accent lol.

I'm sold! Only problem is that it costs a small fortune to fill the decent sized ones with quality soil 

Dude you've still got peppers on that plant!

Cool vid. If you don't mind me asking, how much are the pots you were using? I've looked at the smart pots as I'm very interested in trying them next season, but will find it very difficult convincing my wife to let me spend that much on a pot lol. If there's cheaper options that'll make it easier lol.

FireForEffect said:
I'm sold! Only problem is that it costs a small fortune to fill the decent sized ones with quality soil 

Dude you've still got peppers on that plant!
It's not that much if you build your own soil. Believe me, I have around 45 plants in 5 or 7 gallon root pouches and it didn't cost me that much. If you were to buy say promix or something like that then yes it would be outrageous. And yea there was a ton of green pods on there. I have saved all the pods and seeds I could ever need

MeatHead1313 said:
Cool vid. If you don't mind me asking, how much are the pots you were using? I've looked at the smart pots as I'm very interested in trying them next season, but will find it very difficult convincing my wife to let me spend that much on a pot lol. If there's cheaper options that'll make it easier lol.
Good lord yes there's cheaper options. The ones I use are right at $8-10 for a pack of 7 gallons....I would recommend going to either Greenhousemeagastore.com or AM Leonard. You will honestly get pissed at Smart Pot for charging as much as they do. Or Horticulturesource.com you can get the 5 gallon root pouches for like $2.50 a piece I believe it is.

Or if you can learn to sew you can make them yourself...it's unwoven polypropylene, it's a geotextile used for lining ponds, and other landscape type stuff. Sold online in a big roll. Now the rolls are somewhat pricey, but you could make a gazillion pots out of one roll. Just another option
Exactly Vodu, you beat me to it

coheed196 said:
Good lord yes there's cheaper options. The ones I use are right at $8-10 for a pack of 7 gallons....I would recommend going to either Greenhousemeagastore.com or AM Leonard. You will honestly get pissed at Smart Pot for charging as much as they do. Or Horticulturesource.com you can get the 5 gallon root pouches for like $2.50 a piece I believe it is.

Or if you can learn to sew you can make them yourself...it's unwoven polypropylene, it's a geotextile used for lining ponds, and other landscape type stuff. Sold online in a big roll. Now the rolls are somewhat pricey, but you could make a gazillion pots out of one roll. Just another option
Exactly Vodu, you beat me to it
Awesome. Thank you very much. Glad there's cheaper options. Will definitely have to get a few to try out next year.

MeatHead1313 said:
I've been trying the eco friendly fabric shopping bags from the dollar store and so far so good. They hold almost as much soil as my 10 gallon root pouches and are only $1 each.

rebelgrower3 said:
I've been trying the eco friendly fabric shopping bags from the dollar store and so far so good. They hold almost as much soil as my 10 gallon root pouches and are only $1 each.
Nice info. They work the same as the root pouches?

Yea there just a breathable fabric and the roots will go through it but when they hit the air the tips die off just like root pouches.

MeatHead1313 said:
Nice info. They work the same as the root pouches?
Yes I won't say 100% of the reusable shopping bags are made from the same unwoven polypropylene, but I know the majority of them are. There's a few guys on here with GLOGS going that are using the blue Walmart reusable bags. Hold about the same amount of soil as a 7 gallon, only downside isthey only last one season before they start to deteriorate. But they only cost like .75¢ so who cares.
Couple pictures from a Billy Boy Douglah plant I tossed tonight.

20130929_220726_zpsac9cad09.jpg

20130929_220703_zps02969d3b.jpg

This is the outside bottom of the root pouch, they will grow through the bottom and into the soil underneath if they're sitting on the ground.

20130929_220455_zps144aa85e.jpg

20130929_220540_zpse7492e59.jpg

PepperDaddler said:
I cant believe you are just throwing them away.
It'll be alright, I still have over 50ish plants. And I always have more than one of each variety. I'm just starting now so it won't be a 2 or 3 day chore here in another month or so

Back