• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! My Oktoberfest Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
My Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest is a festival celebrating beer and German delicacies. Many establishments and neighborhoods around the globe throw their own Oktoberfests, but spend more time trying to be German, than focusing on the most important aspect... BEER of course! So ditch the lederhosen. This one is all about your beer and food. This is your Oktoberfest.

Scenario A
  • Choose a beer or beers that are local to your area (as broad as your country or specific as your neighborhood) or special to your area.
  • Create or replicate a dish that best represents this area and this beer, with beer as an ingredient.
Scenario B
  • Choose a beer or beers that are special to you in some way.
  • Create a dish also special to you that best expresses your beer selection, with beer as an ingredient.
Homebrews allowed, as long as you can tie them into a local or personal story.

Remember it's a celebration of beer, so celebrate the beer by using it as many ways as possible. It may not be a dish you'd eat every day, but one you'd expect at a beer fest. Think of it as a beer tasting... with food.

Anything goes for cooking and recipes, but what is allowed is:
One main dish with beer as an ingredient.
Two side dishes max with beer as an ingredient (but sides are not necessary) all on one plate unless not physically possible. Sauces and condiments may be on the side, and do not have to have beer.
If you can't think of a good side dish for the beer, just don't make one. Concentrate on the main dish. Sometimes less is more. But since this is a feast of sorts, two are allowed. The hard part is using the beer. It's a challenge, remember?

In your final post, tell us why you paired this beer with this dish.

One entry per member, 3 pics MAX in final post, and the beer itself must show in at least one of them.

​Exact measurements appreciated.

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

PoL: .10

ENDS: Sunday 10:00 PM EDT

BEGIN!

BEERS UP, EVERYONE!

:woohoo:  Happy Oktoberfest!

This is going to be interesting to see how everyone incorporates their beer into their food.

Do they make Soy Beer?????  I figure that's the only way TB'll be able to enter this one~   ( :lol:  xoxo TB!)

You have to make bread to break bread-  I'll leave you with the first line on the back of the bottle......  this is dedicated to all the stray cat's out there.  :cheers:
weez2_zps0e9dc619.jpg

weez3_zpsea971739.jpg

weez1_zpsa3464b8d.jpg

weez_zps234b65e9.jpg

scratchzilla said:
That beer looks delicious! I haven't had that yet, but I love Lunch and Mean Old Tom!
  Lunch is great, try the peeper if you can get it. Better on tap but still really good from the bottle. 

Just got back from the farmers market- picked up all kinds of great stuff. My first thought was run out and grab pork but and make my D-man's spicy beer brauts, but that's not really a local thing......

Ginger Beer-nana Chocolate Pudding

Diversity is a way of life in my area. Cultural influence can be glimpsed in a variety of aspects. I happened upon some Jamaican ginger beer-and realized that I should see what that was about. Due to time and funding reasons, I was not able to prepare a ginger beer chicken/beer macaroni/beer salad type thing. Thus, I decided to stick with my original plan, and make a banana pudding with some bananas that I just harvested off the plant a few days ago-topped with some homemade whipped cream, and a Trinidad scorpion.

Ingredient List

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup ginger beer
2/3 almonds (approx.)
2 bananas, mashed
3 1/2 ounces 60% cacao baking chocolate
1 cup Heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Trinidad scorpion

To prepare pudding:

0.  In a small saucepan, reduce 1 bottle ginger beer to about half of what it originally was.
1.  Beat 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup dark brown sugar on high speed in mixing bowl until well mixed.
2.  Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined.
3.  Add 3/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa, and 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder in mixing bowl. Add 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup reduced ginger beer, and mix well.
4.  Heat a medium saucepan of water to boiling.
5.  Mash two bananas well. Chop up 2/3 cup almonds, and 3 1/2-4 ounces of 60% cacao chocolate. Add these ingredients to mixing bowl. Mix well
6.  Lightly grease small baking dish, and pour mixture in. Cover with aluminum foil.
7.  In a large saucepan, carefully place small baking dish filled with pudding mixture.
8. Pour enough boiling water around small baking dish to reach about halfway.
9. Cover large sauce pan with lid, and cook on medium low heat for 2 hours-adding fresh boiling water as necessary.
10. When done, remove from large saucepan carefully. Allow small baking dish to cool. Remove pudding from baking dish. Serve with whipped cream.

To prepare whipped cream:

1.  Pour 1 cup heavy cream into mixing bowl.
2.  Beat mixture on high speed until mixture thickens considerably.
3.  Add 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Continue to beat on high speed until mixture stiffens and looks done.
4.  Refrigerate until needed.

Man i'm gonna be shit faced before this is over..

Ok in no particular order, and I hope I remembered everything. Weez country artisan beer bread is on it's 2nd rise as I type.
peppercorns
Dried porcinni mushrooms
celery
fennel
baby leeks
baby carrots
5 kinds of baby potato 
Shallots- homegrown
Garlic- homegrown
fresh thyme- homegrown 
Maine blueberries- homegrown
Beef stock- homemade
chicken stock- from Germany, you can't by this in the US
EVO
3 kind of homebrew- my chinook IBA, my oatmeal stout, my imperial brown
1 local brew- weez brewed in my town
fresh Maine lobster
fresh local pineland farms short ribs cut flanken style

IMG_1112_zps07f9ff75.jpg

IMG_1113_zps1e2f8fc5.jpg

Holey Smokes..........

Do this right, FPB....Don't Slip!!

There is a crown in sight for you...

You got this...take your time!!!

Make sure the pics are good. Follow the rules. Get some interesting angles, minimize shadows. Foo up the final shot a bit. No blurry. 
This is yours for the taking with those ingredients. 
Awesome!!

So fresh looking... homegrown... homemade... yeah you got this, what fiddy is saying is don't f%^& it up lol... pressure!

Keybrdkid, what is up with the Jamaican beer in a German beer throwdown?

Too bad  don't have the free time to enter this one, some nice slow cooked -beer basted- sauerbraten would taste really good right now. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back