Hello from Portugal :)

Hiiii all
I´m from Portugal, I live in Porto, (u know, the Port Wine ? ;))and I simply love very hot peppers !!!!
I´m new to this world of peppers. For the last 2 years I've just cultivated 2 or 3 pots of piri-piri or jindungo, Portugal's national hot pepper.
This year I decided to broaden my collection, so I joined the brazilian forum (same language, you know), and everybody there was so amazingly nice and generous, that now I can tell that my collection is much much bigger. Over there, I met an italian gentleman, a great, great man, and he invited me to join the PepperFriends Forum, an Italian Forum where all foreign people is most welcome, I must say.
I hope to be showing you, by the end of the season, a lot of pepper plants full with shining fruits (wish me luck ;)), with all the knowledge, I´m sure, I´ll acquire with you.
I´m looking forward to meet you all. So I'm sending a big smiling hello, from Portugal :)
Thanks

Margarida

Welcome and hello from Germany! Enjoy your stay!

smiley_emoticons_stapel.gif

Oh yeah.... and good luck! :)

Welcome whocares from England. I went on holiday to Portugal last year and bought 4 different types of chilli back, they were all Piri-Piri of some sort apparently but different sizes. You live in a beautiful country BTW.

Thank you all

for your kind welcome :)
rainbowberry, it's lovely you visited us here. But about the piri-piri, I must warn you of something that happened to me last time I was searching for piri-piri at a local supermarket. I saw some big red peppers that were marked as piri-piri. I never saw such huge peppers coming from a piri-piri plant, so I bought some. When I arrived home I realized they were "from Thailand" :(. They are still nice, and hot, but has nothing to do with piri-piri. They look more like Thai Dragon. I will try to plant some seeds, though, and see what I get from there ;)
Original piri-piri is about 1,5-2 cm long, and don't arch at the point.
:)
Margarida

Mine where straight and short like you said and very red in colour *trying to think of a colour red to describe them but I've gone brain dead*

rainbowberry said:
Mine where straight and short like you said and very red in colour *trying to think of a colour red to describe them but I've gone brain dead*
Nice, rainbowberry. They should be the original ones ;)
Have you sewn them already? They are very easy to grow from seed :)

I had a visitor from Portugal recently. I asked him to bring some chili stuff, especially seeds (I was sure he wouldn't bring anything special, but sees from stores would at least be a large number and probably organic). He said he had no idea where to look for them! :)

I love Qunita d'Avo Piri-Piri com Alho sauce from Portugal. Not too hot, but a great garlic aroma. If I need more heat I use it with other sauces very often. I've run out of it :( so I think I need to stock up and order five bottles or sth like that (one doesn't last a month).

whocares said:
So nice to find here a compatriot :)From where are you?
Thanks so much for your kind welcome,Sydtunes. We will be friends, right? ;)

Without a doubt... I'm from Toronto, Canada but lived in Caldas da Rainha for a number of years.

whocares said:
Nice, rainbowberry. They should be the original ones ;)
Have you sewn them already? They are very easy to grow from seed :)
No I haven't sown them this year as I'm running out of room, also because I grew Birds Eye chillis last year and I found them very similar in heat and taste, actually the piri-piri I had was better for taste than Birds Eye, I can imagine the plant grows quite tall. I loved walking round the markets in Portugal, you're a real friendly bunch :)

Back