• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil repotting/new soil

I know chiles are hardy plants, just wondering if others have done this.
for wintering/trying to keep growing inside....take the plants out of container, shake old dirt off & maybe wash the roots to get rid of any critters, & repot with new fresh soil.

was it a big shock to the plants or not so much ?

any suggestions on pre-mixed soil ?
thinking about going the fox farm route, for soil and fertilizers for a try. or any better ones out there ?

Fox farm ive only heard good things from as well id recommend once repotted watering with some super thrive it totally helps with the transfer (shock)

I ran out of superthrive & doubt I'll be able to find anymore of it around here cuz of the season.
plus some states stopped selling that stuff for certain reasons (by law I think)

I'm using FFOF this year and love it but its kinda expensive around here but worth it. As long as you don't damage the roots to bad its fine when I repot I trim the root ball and they do fine.

rebelgrower3 said:
I'm using FFOF this year and love it but its kinda expensive around here but worth it. As long as you don't damage the roots to bad its fine when I repot I trim the root ball and they do fine.
A rebel what is FFOF ?

i just did this to 3 plants for the first time this year, 1 hab, i ghost, and 1 jalapeno.

Hab was in a pot, i free'd up the soil and took the plant right out... washed all the roots off with water, and re-potted with fresh soil, and trimmed the plant back a lot... gave it a little fert... after a day, i applied some trounce, to kill bugs and such, and brought the plant inside.... and it is still producing fruit!! and looks pretty happy.

the Ghost and the Jalapeno were in the ground, so i dug around them, giving a lot of room, again washed the mud off, leaving only the roots, washed them really good, and same method, repotted, and a little ferts... only the Jalapeno looks a little sad.... although i have it in a root pouch... and perhaps it dried out too fast..... gave it a bit of water last night... and this morning it looks a little happier...

it was my first time doing this.... after my trimming.... i am getting new leaves starting, and no leaf drop, so i am assuming they should be ok.....

have them in the south facing window in my house, still get about 10 Hrs of light.... but because of colder temps at night, had to get them in or risk dieing from frost....

Back