• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! My Oktoberfest Throwdown

Vote for who created the best local or personal Oktoberfest, tailored to their area or personal stor

• keybrdkid - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/42609-begin-my-oktoberfest-throwdown/?p=895214&

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Vote for who created the best local or personal Oktoberfest, tailored to their area or personal story.

Hmm.... I want to vote for two of them. Hands-down I'd totally go for both at the same seating and sit in my chair with a dazed yet satisfied look on my face when I was done. We need a collaboration TD, methinks......

Back to reality..... how to choose.... how to choose......

I absolutely LOVE what FreeportBurn did here, but Wheebz got me at my weakest points, beer and seafood.  Had to go with Wheebz even though I really hate him.

In keeping with the Octoberfest theme, I think FreeportBurn captured  a German inspired cuisine the best.

Oh and Darth, I want one of those whatever thingys on a stick next time I see you.

Jeff, sorry dude, but this is the second time you made that comment.  Read the rules, it is NOT supposed to be a traditional Ocktoberfest dish unless you are in Germany.

JayT said:
Oh and Darth, I want one of those whatever thingys on a stick next time I see you.

City chicken! No chicken, but it looks like a drumstick. I wiki'ed it. :)

Like chicken fried steak, named for the chicken-like breading, but no chicken.

I think everyone did awesome! I was eyeing Darth and FreeportBurn. I read them closely. I liked the city chicken until the crispy fried drumstick was baked in a covered pan with beer. I think the beer and beer steam sogged up the breading. But homemade beer noddles and butter/bacon fat sauteed cabbage FTW! Great flavors and nice PA tie-in with it all.

FB killed it all the way. I can't find anything I don't like and I want to fork apart those short ribs, put it on the beer bread, and add more reduction sauce. Excellent farm-to-table Maine dish!

I have to go FreeportBurn on this one!

JayT said:

Jeff, sorry dude, but this is the second time you made that comment.  Read the rules, it is NOT supposed to be a traditional Ocktoberfest dish unless you are in Germany.

No, no, no Jay T. What you aren't thinking about is my locality. I'm from Cincinnati. Heart of the Rhine. This is close to German as you can get (while being in the states) and the heritage runs deep here. To me, and this city, traditional German is what I was looking for. That is why he got me vote.

I was with Freeport since he posted that pic of the Maine Beer Co bottle. I'm glad I stuck with him, that dish looks awesome(again, minus the lobo)! Good work!

The Hot Pepper said:
 But homemade beer noddles and butter/bacon fat sauteed cabbage FTW! 

What are Noddles? I didn't see any of those there!
With Wheebz a VERY VERY close second, I went with FPB because he "Banana Leafed" with a Maine lobster.

Thanks for the kind words folks. I look forward to having some more fun in the next TD. I should have a new camera by then, so no more iPhone/iPad pics :)
JayT said:
Using a whole cooked Maine lobster as a garnish is something even Paulky would be proud of...
Edible garnish ;) I told myself there was no way I could make somehing without getting a lobster in there someplace. Didn't go to waste , made lobster eggs bene for breakfast

Have to go with wheebz on this one. I'm an absolute sucker for entries that are risky - prefer that someone take a chance, push the edge, and come up with something fantabulous. In that respect, I had to go with Key's entry. Not to mention it's something that makes me want to say "the heck with my figure - I'm diving in!" But at the same time, I don't see it as a main dish. While the rules didn't specify that it had to be an entree, I take "main dish" the same way as an entree. So on that one item I had to pass on it. Dang fine looking though. 

A good crab boil is too close to my own hometown experience, and was the one I wanted to dive into as a main dish. Well played, sir wheebz!

I went with Booma.  If I was many steins deep in beer and I wanted a nosh, that tender BBQ chicken with chips is the thing!  And it's got beer in every side! :cheers:

The Hot Pepper said:
You can keep those spiny lobsters! :lol:

Come to Miami next July. You can stay with Sum (you cool with that, Sum?)...

We'll hit mini-season. You'll think of the spiny in a whole new light!!It's glorious!!!

Back to the discussion. They all look good!!!

frydad4 said:

Come to Miami next July. You can stay with Sum (you cool with that, Sum?)...

We'll hit mini-season. You'll think of the spiny in a whole new light!!It's glorious!!!

Shoot I'd even be down for that, put this Cert I've had for years to some use :)

Back to the discussion

MORE VOTES!

If we can get the norm 40 votes it could be a game changer. I could see wheebz making a dash for the finish line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back