• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Cayenne pepper varieties

I've grown cayenne peppers from seed for the past two years and they are long and thin, as shown on the left in the picture below.

This year I purchased cayenne starts from a local nursery, and I got beautiful thick peppers, as shown on the right in the picture below.  

Both peppers taste the same, though the thinner ones have a tougher skin.  I've also purchased cayenne peppers from a farmer at a farmers market, and they looked like the thick ones on the right.

So my question is this.  Are there specific names for the two types of cayenne peppers?  When I look around the interwebs for seeds, all I see are seeds for the thin ones.  I'm having a hard time finding seeds for the thick ones.

And yes, I was a dufus and used all my thick cayenne peppers without thinking about saving one for seeds...DOAH!

ajosq1.png

yes they actually do have specific names however there are countless species that look alike within three classes (that i know of) there are medium build types as well like Bhongi long and short as well as a few of th Korean types just to name a few, so if you dont possitivly know what you have its near impossible to truely id them because of there close similarities

i can only guess BUT your large ones look like either

HOT PORTUGAL (i have seeds for this one as well)

ITALIAN FRYING PEPPER

this is a common problem with this pepepr type when it come to id and if your hunting seeds it always helps to know the name, i hope this helps
oh by the way the two i mentioned have a thicker wall
thanks your friend Joe

Datil said:
Cayenne Large Thick is a well known variety.
Take a look HERE

Cya

Datil
yes its well know here too, they where brought to the US by Italian Immagrants and i beleve it the same one we now call ITALIAN FRYING PEPPER

thanks your friend Joe

They do look like the Italian Frying Pepper (IFP), but I read that the IFP is not hot, its mostly sweet.  The ones I grew have the same heat as the cayenne long slims, somewhere between a jalapeno and a habanero.  They definitely could be the Hot Portugal.  They have wonderful flavor and kind of buttery. 

Datil said:
Cayenne Large Thick is a well known variety.
Take a look HERE

Cya

Datil

Ok...after looking at this site, I see what a wild goose chase it is to try and nail down what variety of pepper something labeled as cayenne is :)

turbo said:
They do look like the Italian Frying Pepper (IFP), but I read that the IFP is not hot, its mostly sweet.  The ones I grew have the same heat as the cayenne long slims, somewhere between a jalapeno and a habanero.  They definitely could be the Hot Portugal.  They have wonderful flavor and kind of buttery. 
i have found that IFP's are both hot and sweet in this species and they look identical to one another,so can you see another problem with id?? good peppers as Annums go

i

thick ones look like cowhorn cayennes to me, thinner ones possibly joe's long... my favorite cayenne variety is "andy" which is shorter than either with smooth skin- nice sweetness to them along with the moderate heat.

biscgolf said:
thick ones look like cowhorn cayennes to me, thinner ones possibly joe's long... my favorite cayenne variety is "andy" which is shorter than either with smooth skin- nice sweetness to them along with the moderate heat.
when i think of COWHORN i think of the fatter more "Blokey" type almost resembling a elongated bell
you could be right though it i could be joes long and then that would also constitute it being an IFP (hybrid)  Joe used and IFP as half the genetics from what i think i read or was told and, i also beleve Joe was an Italian American so it makes sence that it would look like one or the other (sorry didnt want to sound like Sherlock Holmes will digress)LOL
here again it could also be the larger Turkish species but i also agree with TURBO that this is prolly a WILD GOOSE CHASE

thanks your friend Joe

Back