• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Galapagos - Isabela Island Red Habanero

Another beauty from Ajijoe. Thanks mate!

I had no idea that this kind of pepper was found anywhere near The Galapagos Islands. It`s a large red C.chinense that I know nothing about. My assumption would be that it found it`s way to Isabela Island via Ecuador, but that`s pure guesswork on my part. 

This is a fabulous and fantastic pepper. Truly awesome size, colour and flavour. Believe me when I say, you need this one in your life!!!

The flavour is very sweet and fruity with a little acidity to balance it all out. There is a nice clean C.chinense flavor, but it isn`t overpowering at all and add a nice richness to the flavour. The heat isn`t especially high, I`d put it at around 1/2-1/3 that of an orange habanero, but it`s the mix of everything you want in a pepper. Great look, great flavour, good heat, great overall. What a stunner this is!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXf4ThHm3BY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvpwCBbWBXpc-AzNlkEf8RA

PepperLover said:
nice review, and i am sure it is nice pepper. it is not easy to find peppers come from those islands 

Getting anything out of the Galapagos must be extremely difficult - animal, vegetable or mineral. I was very surprised that Joe had this one.

Getting anything out of the Galapagos must be extremely difficult - animal, vegetable or mineral. I was very surprised that Joe had this one.

Yes the wild Galapagos pepper is transferred by birds

meatfreak said:
Thanks for the review, I'm also growing this variety, about to harvest them any day now. It's gathered during an expedition would be my guess.
i got the seeds from you last year thanks, how did you get them??
your friend Joe

great review Nigel!!

as i said above i got the seeds last year from meatfreak, i wanna find out how he came by these

they are a great pepper and there not superhot and would be great for stuffing(poppers)

i was very surprised at how prolific it was and i have tons of seeds now for it!!
i am growing it again this coming season

i wish i knew more about it but i do not

thanks and even though for thye time being your done with mine i will be watching for more, thanks for doing them i had as much enjoyment watch as you did eating them

thanks your friend

This review makes number 20 are 30 are 40 I watched from you Nigel sounds like a tasty pepper and an A plus review as well gonna have to be on my grow list in the further...............

ajijoe said:
i got the seeds from you last year thanks, how did you get them??
your friend Joe

great review Nigel!!

as i said above i got the seeds last year from meatfreak, i wanna find out how he came by these

they are a great pepper and there not superhot and would be great for stuffing(poppers)

i was very surprised at how prolific it was and i have tons of seeds now for it!!
i am growing it again this coming season

i wish i knew more about it but i do not

thanks and even though for thye time being your done with mine i will be watching for more, thanks for doing them i had as much enjoyment watch as you did eating them

thanks your friend
I've got them in a trade last season with SilverSurfer. The PI number is 585278. That's about all the information I have, sorry.

just harvest what looks like the last of them for the season its too cold now, i dont think there are going anymore

but i have a ton of seeds that will be available for sale very soon and i have some frozen pods i can munch on over the winter

thanks your friend joe

Hi Joe,

I tried unsuccessfully to get seeds for this plant from the NPGS last year so I would definitely be interested when you start selling them.

Thanks,

Tick

Ditto, ditto, ditto & ditto... great review, nice big fat juicy (ok, "squeaky!") Pod... those things look tastey even on my little cell phone screen! I'm going to have to order some of tgese seeds as well, just to have a taste!

Tick said:
Hi Joe,

I tried unsuccessfully to get seeds for this plant from the NPGS last year so I would definitely be interested when you start selling them.

Thanks,

Tick
no problem

send me an sasbe and a note with the discription and the amuont you want(i sell them 10 for a dollar) i also have 2 list of many others if you wanna see them let me know i can send to you

thanks your friend Joe

PepperLover said:
the Galapagos i have came from John Fielder about 6 years ago when u was into growing peppers.
mine came from Meatfreak and he got them from Silversurfer and he got them from Junglerain in Australia

im going to email Grant and see if i can get anymore info on them

thanks your friend Joe

i pm"d Grant last night
i asked him to chime in here if he had any info on this pepper, i hope he does

ALSO IF ANYONE WANT TO SEE WHAT THIS PEPPER LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN PM ME I HAVE PICS
thanks your friend Joe

Thank you Joe,

I'll get going on the sasbe and I'd like to see your list.

Also, thanks Nigel for your reviews on all these interesting pepper varieties!

- Tick

Tick said:
Thank you Joe,

- Tick
ok pm me when you get the time

thanks your friend Joe

Tick said:
Thank you Joe,

- Tick
I can only do it because of the generosity shown by so many people on THP, in this case Ajijoe.

I owe a huge debt of thanks to many, many people. 

Back