Public Service Post...Fresh Produce Vendors

If you purchase "Fresh Peppers" from ANY "online" vendor, PLEASE make sure you find SOME SORT of LEGAL documentation along with your order. Something like the stamps pictured below :) Buying produce you are going to put into your own body is not a "joking" matter folks! If your a seed vendor thats one thing, as the customer now grows it themselves and can do their own "quality" checks on their own grow and the customer is not DIRECTLY ingesting the product sold to them. But if you purchase "Ready To Eat" produce, you may want to take a look at where it comes from, how its grown, and ARE THEY INSPECTED/CERTIFIED?? Look for stamps/certificates from your supplier that let you know you are buying from a grower that takes the time to make sure they are doing all they can to supply TOP QUALITY produce! Food for thought......

Some vendors out there may feel like they dont need to be inspected/certified by their local State/Federal inspectors. Ask your vendor for their Nursery Registration Number (If its not posted PUBLICLY somewhere already). Ask them if they are involved in ANY state run "Quality" programs such as "Fresh From Florida" (Our info can be found here http://app1.florida-agriculture.com/FACTS/Consumer/general/details/?i=7056&bustype=16&commodity=71&commtype=18&county=51 ) and if they are...ask for a link to THEIR info so you can find out about their operation.

Just a heads up for ALL the consumers out there who purchase FRESH peppers from ANYONE....us included! Ask the tough questions...ask these same questions to us, we have NOTHING to hide as our info is NOT hard to find... Lastly, cheaper isn't ALWAYS better folks! Especially when it comes to the food you put into YOUR body! Words of wisdom right there....

This is NOTHING against ANY vendor/grower out there. We just felt the public deserve to know the facts so they can make an intelligent purchase, no matter WHO they buy it from (Us or ANY other vendor), the next time they are in the market for some "Fresh" produce :)

Sizzlin' Salutations!,
Dale E. Baker Jr, CEO
Baker's Peppers LLC
www.BakersPeppers.com
@BakersPeppers On Twitter
www.Facebook.com/BakersPeppers

Attachments

• post-5158-0-71437000-1382019694_thumb.jpg
    post-5158-0-71437000-1382019694_thumb.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 93
I find parts of this mildly misleading.....  mostly the touting of the "Fresh from Florida" insignia when a quick read on their website makes it apparent how easy it is to obtain.  Correct me if I'm wrong,  but according to their website you don't even have to be inspected to obtain FAPC certification?  They just reserve the right to inspect your premises?  

And this:

". The "From Florida" identifier may be used by FAPC members on Florida agricultural or Florida agricultural based products that are not perceived as "fresh" products, including, but not limited to, frozen, heat or chemically treated products."

If you can sell chemically treated produce under such a label I'm not sure it means anything to me  :confused: 

TBH I am more worried as to what they feed or spray the plants with.. There's a local farm that spreads on his fields what is labeled Hazardous wast and the owner wishes they didn't banned Agent Orange, but his produce is OK by the Farm board..

illWill said:
I find parts of this mildly misleading.....  mostly the touting of the "Fresh from Florida" insignia when a quick read on their website makes it apparent how easy it is to obtain.  Correct me if I'm wrong,  but according to their website you don't even have to be inspected to obtain FAPC certification?  They just reserve the right to inspect your premises?  

And this:

". The "From Florida" identifier may be used by FAPC members on Florida agricultural or Florida agricultural based products that are not perceived as "fresh" products, including, but not limited to, frozen, heat or chemically treated products."

If you can sell chemically treated produce under such a label I'm not sure it means anything to me  :confused: 

I think you read that wrong my man....or maybe took it out of context...

It says the identifier may be used on agricultural based products that are not perceived as "Fresh" products.....AKA Frozen Gulf Shrimp, or Frozen Florida orange juice concentrate, or canned fish that has to be heated then sealed...they ALL can classify as "Fresh From Florida" as their origins qualify them PRIOR to Freeze, Heat, Chemical treatment.....has nothing to do with the actual Fresh Produce being sold....it does not say that "Chemically treated FRESH produce" is endorsed....This is the way my state inspector explained this to me. Just forwarding the info :)

BTW...all this post was intended to do was inform the everyday consumer about asking questions of their suppliers. Asking if they are inspected/certified. Asking if they are LEGIT. Not to break down the fine print on "Fresh From Florida" policies....I think we can all agree that growers who register with their state, get inspected, and who are held to a certain standard, are a WAY better place to get produce from as opposed to having ZERO background info on the grower/nursery and their "standards" they hold THEMSELVES to.....just sayin :)

meinchoh said:
So, every person selling a SFRB should be able to show certification of some sort or another? You're taking this a bit too far...

No no...thats not at all what im saying...im saying commercial vendors/growers...Selling to the masses....people who by law "should" be held to some sort of "Standard"...not for the average guy who has 3 boxes for sale out of his garden at the end of each season....not meant in that way :) Didnt mean to come off that way at all my man :)

We just wanted people to know they can actually ask these types of questions to their supplier/grower/vendor, and expect answers in return. Answers that satisfy their own questioning and help make their decision a bit easier on who to purchase "Fresh Peppers" from...  

This was posted to try to help people make an informed purchase of fresh produce from sellers online (whether that be from us or ANYONE else!)...nothing more nothing less :D

Dale Jr

meinchoh said:
So, every person selling a SFRB should be able to show certification of some sort or another? You're taking this a bit too far...

My thoughts exactly. I was about to ask the same question.

So little ol me posts an ad on this forum or even facebook and somebody I've never met wants to buy it. You're saying that they shouldn't because I'm not registered with the state of Alabama?

Although I don't sell any of my peppers and am already registered with the Department of Agriculture for our hot sauces, here in Pennsylvania a person selling raw produce (no-value added) are not required to register with the Department of Agriculture.

Examples of Exempt/Non-Exempt Farmers Market Stands
"A vendor that sells only raw products from the farm – fruits and vegetables that
have been harvested but not processed in any way (no value-added work done)
IS EXEMPT. This would cover vendors selling fresh fruits and vegetables.
"

-excerpt from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Farmers Market Inspection and Licensing Guide

seriously folks We are supposed to be grown folks here let them that sell Peppers Sale them not be like look what I do that they don't do look what I have that they don't have really childish don't hate cause they are getting business you get business they get business their prices are just a bit more reasonable $20/sfrb vs $29/sfrb hum you do the math I'd rather sell 40 at $20 then 20 at $30 just my humble opinion pardon me if I stepped on your toes

coheed196 said:

My thoughts exactly. I was about to ask the same question.

So little ol me posts an ad on this forum or even facebook and somebody I've never met wants to buy it. You're saying that they shouldn't because I'm not registered with the state of Alabama?
read up a few posts :)

Again..this is NOT meant to offend anyone...i love the members here...ALL of them :)

We just wanted to help people be informed when dealing with commercial growers/nurseries...

Hi Dale,

Is this rationale your primary justification for a pricing structure 2-4X higher than most of your competitors? 

I've wanted to buy from you in the past, but cannot fathom a $30-40 SFRB. 
Apparently others can and do, and you are having success.  For that I am glad! 

:cheers:

BakersPeppers said:

No no...thats not at all what im saying...im saying commercial vendors/growers...Selling to the masses....people who by law "should" be held to some sort of "Standard"...not for the average guy who has 3 boxes for sale out of his garden at the end of each season....not meant in that way :) Didnt mean to come off that way at all my man :)

Dale Jr

So because you, and any other person/company that sells several boxes of pods per week or day or whatever, are a "commercial vendor" and do this for a living or whatever the case may be. You should be inspected and certified, correct? Because you're a commercial seller?

So just because I only sell 1 box per week or every other week, I don't have to be inspected and certified? Even though I could be spreading Lord knows what all over my pods/plants, but since I'm not a "commercial" seller I don't need to be inspected or registered or anything. I could make just as many or more people sick than a commercial seller could but I don't sell to the masses so I don't need to bother with all that inspecting and stuff :P

RedtailForester said:
Although I don't sell any of my peppers and am already registered with the Department of Agriculture for our hot sauces, here in Pennsylvania a person selling raw produce (no-value added) are not required to register with the Department of Agriculture.

Examples of Exempt/Non-Exempt Farmers Market Stands
"A vendor that sells only raw products from the farm – fruits and vegetables that
have been harvested but not processed in any way (no value-added work done)
IS EXEMPT. This would cover vendors selling fresh fruits and vegetables.
"

-excerpt from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Farmers Market Inspection and Licensing Guide
Nice! I wish i was that lucky :)

But does that cover "Online" sales? Shipping out of state? To states like California and such? Your post says "Farmers Market Stands" as in Local, or am i reading that wrong?

Again....im not trying to start anything...cant a guy just post some public info to try to help people? You guys know the days of me gettin all CRAZY in here are over...lol... im just trying to help people out these days :)

Idiot Piquant said:
Hi Dale,

Is this rationale your primary justification for a pricing structure 2-4X higher than most of your competitors? 

I havent sold a SFRB for more than $26.99 in the last 4 months my man...most are under $20 :) And we also do B3G3, where the boxes average less than $10 each...

Dale Jr

coheed196 said:

So because you, and any other person/company that sells several boxes of pods per week or day or whatever, are a "commercial vendor" and do this for a living or whatever the case may be. You should be inspected and certified, correct? Because you're a commercial seller?

So just because I only sell 1 box per week or every other week, I don't have to be inspected and certified? Even though I could be spreading Lord knows what all over my pods/plants, but since I'm not a "commercial" seller I don't need to be inspected or registered or anything. I could make just as many or more people sick than a commercial seller could but I don't sell to the masses so I don't need to bother with all that inspecting and stuff :P
Totally not at all what im saying or trying to say....If a buyer so chooses to purchase from a guy who sells "1 box per week or every other week" they already inherently know said guy probably isnt inspected/registered with the state...or they should know that...and if they choose to still make that purchase they do so on their own terms. I have nothing against ANYONE who sells peppers IN ANY VOLUME...whether its one box a week or 500 boxes a week...We just feel people should be well informed so they can make a good choice on their own.  

Again, we just wanted to help inform the everyday consumer...i think i have done that :)

Idiot Piquant said:
Hi Dale,

Yep id agree me too but the price is high and the B3G3 i isn't it a end of season sale? NOT AVERAGE

Smitty said:
Yep id agree me too but the price is high and the B3G3 i isn't it a end of season sale? NOT AVERAGE
As i said before...I havent sold a SFRB for more than $26.99 in the last 4 months my man...most are under $20 :) And we also do B3G3, where the boxes average less than $10 each...B3G3 happens all season long too :) Random times but yes all year long :)

Back