2008-2009 Seed Trading Parcel for USA

I have put a lot of thought into this and hope it has been worth it. Wshen making a comment, please refer to the pargraph number (i.e. 1.a, 2.b ect.) I will make it as organized as I can. Improvement suggestions welcome. If you want something changed, make a recommendation, but please don’t just say “I don’t like that”. Enough…on to business at hand.

I will start the package off by sending a “stocked” priority mail box to the first person on the trade list. The box will contain 500 seed packages (most empty of course). This will insure package size commonality. There will also be a spreadsheet with applicable fields used as inventory of the box. This spreadsheet will also be available for those that have/use Microsoft Excel via email from me. Please send all communication to me pertaining to this seed trading parcel to ronnie.walley@gmail.com once this process is agreed to by all parties involved

trade1bb3.jpg

OK your turn....talk to me...

Sounds good to me. I would like to be on the list. If there is a post limit, i'm sure i will have met it by then. (i'm already addicted to this site :P)

AJ that looks pretty good for once over. I think that south to north would work pretty good. The only problem I have is the peppers aren't podding up yet. lol The only thing I see that may present a problem is para 6 that may run into problem if parcel is delivered on Thursday or Friday and theres a Holiday. So let the growing season begin with heat and good weather:fireball::hotsauce:

sounds very fair..stops people just after seeds:rolleyes: and other
freebies and genuinely contributing to the site and helping it grow in a rewarding and healthy way :)

Looks good AJ thanks for the effort in getting this on track again! A question I have is -- I dont have date seed obtained other than this past year -- I dont keep seed very much longer than that anyways but if I dont know ... should I write an approximate date? Also what do you want for germination information? Time line of expected sprout? Thats a bit difficult with the super hots as they the most persnickety -- should I write 2-4 weeks? 10-15 days? etc...???
Other than that ...
Im in....representive of the Northeast Coast

Date seed obtained is to try to determine if the seeds are "old" or not...like Oct 95 would in my opinion not be worth planting...just additional information...I think the month/year or just year would be close enough...simply, yes, approximate date is cool...

Germination information...I should have been more clear....like 80% or 50%...nothing negative intended, just more additional information...I bought seeds from some suppliers this year and got 0% germination on 3 of the 5 varieties planted...this may not be possible if you have not grown these before and this information was meant to be optional...

List of participants so far...

AlabamaJack
Rob
Okie Joe
Lucky Dog

Just a note...this is meant to be a fun thing and not a "professional" thing...I am just trying to get the rules out there so each one of us participating knows what is expected...

OJ...as far as the getting the package on Thursday or Friday and a holiday on Monday is not a problem...this turn around time should be used as a guideline...that is why I have built into the timing a month schedule slip...

I'm in AJ!

Also....while those of us who are established can contribute as much as we take, or more, I have no problem with a noob taking 15 varieties and contributing 3.

That was the spirit of the original box and I would like it to stay that way.

Last year I was the noob taking 3 times what I could contribute. This coming year I would like to pay it back in.

please count me in by that time I will have had more than 2 months on THP but guess I'd better quit reading and do a lot more posting if I'm going to make that 100 in time. Rules sound good to me, first come first served seems right.

What is the purpose of this?

Is this a way to trade rare seeds, or experiment with hybrids? Seems to me if I want a common pepper seed, I'll just buy it.

Just curious. I wanted to ask in the other thread, but it got kinda crazy and I didn't want to sound pessimistic or critical. I'm not at all - I'm just genuinely curious what the purpose of a seed exchange would be.

I'll be the first to admit it's difficult finding certain types of peppers! So if this is a way to get rare seeds, that's awesome. But then maybe there should be a rule about taking too many of them? Like, if someone put in 20 7-Pot seeds and the next person takes 10 of them, there sure won't be any left by the time it gets to the end of the list.

this is supposed to be a sharing experience between us members...I will probably buy a bunch of seeds too...but there are some varieties that are not readily available...something fun to do...

I will update the whos in list....and you guys with less than 100...get to posting...

as far as the first come, first serve pepper fever, what good would it do you to get seeds the first of september when you won't plant out until the following may?...unless you have a greenhouse...again, not trying to be negative....just asking a question...that is why the trade schedule is 8 months plus long to allow those who plant out first to get seeds earlier than those who plant out later...JMO

Count me in AJ, and if we do get a north region package going, I will be more than willing to "co-chair". The last one seemed a success after we changed the package size.

the following is a list of participants so far. Italicized print indicates members with less than 100 posts and when 100 is reached, the italicized print will go away.

AlabamaJack
Rob
Okie Joe
Lucky Dog
CheezyDemon
Pepperfever
abf303
gardenkiller

Klyth...I missed the part of your post where you asked about quantity members should be limited to. I would like to make that 5. I will update the "rules" sheet and replace the existing one with the new one in my original post...

thanks gardenkiller for volunteering for the north cochair if needed

By the time the parcel get started I'll have tons of seed to donate to it and would like to be included when it happens. This is a great idea to do in the middle of peppers season and start a "seed bank" of peppers grown by THP members.:idea:

Updated Distrubution List

I added PRF to the list...I also updated the rules (10) to say please limit seeds taken out of the parcel to 5/variety

AlabamaJack
Rob
Okie Joe
Lucky Dog
CheezyDemon
Pepperfever
abf303
gardenkiller
PepperRidgeFarm

AJ, I have traded many times for seeds, though not on this site and have had good luck saving them until the next planting season but no I don't have to be among the first people who receive seeds, just wanted to be included on the list early. Very few of the 61 kinds of peppers I planted this year are from new seed and they are all growing good. WE added 3 more shop lights yesterday, now have six 4' lights in the living room plus the plants that take up the west shelf and anothre shelf in the kitchen plus dining room window..all peppers, tomatoes and herbs.

the south to north or first come first serve needs to be discussed and a decision made....I made an assumption that it would be a south to north distribution ...but that was my thinking...(you know Ass-u-me)

you see, it makes no difference to me since I am starting the package out and will not get to see it again until all others on the list have had their chance at it....heck, it may not do me any good at all if there is a big slip in schedule...

Many of us start seeds indoors, so perhaps a "sprout" date is more relevent.

This year Feb 15th worked great for me.

North to south is fine with me though, whatever works.

South to North seems reasonable, because spring hits the South first -- but the North has a shorter growing season, so that could be problematic... Maybe N to S is better?

I'm not sure I have the space to be involved in this - I have enough space to plant about 10 pepper plants, so I'm kinda particular about what I grow (that's why I just buy seeds). But I still think it's a fun idea...

we may need to split this into two separate sections...a north and a south...we don't have to have 30 members on each...matter of fact, 30 on each trding list would be too many IMO...that was a limit based on when the seeds would be needed...

Cheezy, you started on Feb 15th...when would you have to start in order to meet plantout date?

I started jan 29 and it was almost too early...

bottom line, I want all the seeds I am going to plant to be in my hot little hands NLT 15 December...but then again, that is my preference...I am sure I will buy a lot of seeds this coming year like I did last year...

Back