• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Giving it another go at fermentation.

Hi everyone, I'm trying my hand at another set of ferments... this time hopefully I'll run the full gamut of 30 or 45 days without any funk. I tried to be a bit more precise this time around with salt, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the tips on my last post + all the info around the boards.

Found myself a dealer.
Got a pile of chocolate bhuts (these smell amazingly fruity when chopped!), some scorpions, and some birds from a local guy who grows 'em.

superhots11.jpg

superhots12.jpg
superhots13.jpg

The mash.
Made three batches to ferment, this time carefully weighing and measuring the salt %, plus decided to use a bit of the Caldwell's starter for good measure after previous disasters.

Fresh papaya + Scorpions N' Bhuts.
Some ginger, carrot, onion, a kumquat cuz, why not?

superhots14.jpg

Bhut base.
I decided to just ferment the rest of the chocolate bhuts with a basic mash to then use for different sauces later. Might try a cranberry one for Thanksgiving. I have some persimmons too that could go well.

superhots15.jpg

Sriracha.
Another Sriracha style, with red jalapeos, serranos, and some thai chilis.

Get 'er done.
Hopefully this time they'll get going and stay less funky than last time I tried the long ferments. I'm hoping I left enough headspace.

superhots16.jpg

superhots17.jpg

howardsnm1 said:
wow that looks good i do my batches in larger volume.. usually 1-2 gallons  Keep us informed and show pix of the final product... :)

thanks! will do.

what type of jar/jug do you ferment in? 1/2 gallon was cheapest/easiest I could source locally.

looks good! i like fermenting in the 1/2 gallon, it's a nice amount for keeping some and giving a few bottles away. will look forward to seeing how these come out!

Looks great so far. Hope they turn out this time. Keep us posted!

I will be having a first go at the ferments myself, probably next week. I went for the 1/2 gallon jars as well.

Back