• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DWC Go time - Help please

Off to lowes & petco to grap my supplies for a single bucket. Seems pretty simple, hope to upgrade to recirc system later. Please feel free to comment with any pointers for the newb as I continue.

Todays question:
What nutrients do I need to prepare the water?
I currently have
bonemeal (does not dissolve in water so probably useless)
Jacks Blossom Booster 10-30-20
All purpose miracle-gro liquid 12-4-8

I assume to above is mostly usless for the DWC, what should I get?

Thanks

Green Platic grower (Net Pots N/A)                                                                                                  2@ $0.98 = $1.96
Transparent 5 Gal Buckets (Twice the price but you can see the water level)                                 2@ $4.97 = $9.94
Lids (Free, looks like the guy didnt ring them up =).                                                                        2@              FREE
Petco Air pump (Probablly ok for 1 but not 2, def need upgrade. Included hose)                                                $12.99
Airstone 4" (Junk, flips upside down)                                                                                                                    $5.99
Airstone 3.5" (Even worse, half floats, only 1 4" instock)                                                                                      $4.99
Air line tee                                                                                                                                                            $1.29
Lava Rock                                                                                                                                                            $4.47
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                                                                                                                                     $41.63 for 2
                                                                                                                                                                            $20.82 per bucket

Overall a good price. I've paid a premium on some stuff by wanting it TODAY. I'll probablly source
some better/cheaper parts off amazon on upgrade, like the airpump and better grow media.

IMG_20131019_153958.jpg

Nice build for a great price!   I'd be careful with those transparent buckets.....  most people suggest using black buckets because light will encourage fungal and bacterial growth in your water 

illWill said:
Nice build for a great price!   I'd be careful with those transparent buckets.....  most people suggest using black buckets because light will encourage fungal and bacterial growth in your water 
Thanks for the heads up. I use a ton of buckets for work, so Ill keep a close eye and switch out if necessary.

rebelgrower3 said:
Very nice looking plants looks like you have them dialed in.
Thanks, I followed Jeff H's recommendation just as yours. Go half strength all the way.

I use:

1 1/2 Tablespoon (part A)
1 1/2 Tablespoon (part B)
1 1/2 Tablespoon Botanicare Cal-Mag.
1 small scoop of GH Maxibloom.

I know it seems like a lot, but my plants love it. Oh and I don't use special meters either LOL. I just change the water on schedule and I'm good.

, Walter

Edit: The above measurements are for one gallon.

They grow and flower at the same time just use the 18/6 schedule and they will be fine.
That light would only be good for 1 bucket and a small plant. Plants in hydro get big quick best bet is to get a 400 watt light.

rebelgrower3 said:
They grow and flower at the same time just use the 18/6 schedule and they will be fine.
That light would only be good for 1 bucket and a small plant. Plants in hydro get big quick best bet is to get a 400 watt light.
So something like this:
http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-FLORALUX-400-watt-High-Pressure-Sodium-Grow-Light#

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-watt-400w-Dimmable-HPS-MH-Grow-Light-System-Set-Kit-/150656047425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item68c836719c

How much space/plants would that cover?

What you got? It looks like my setup is going to be 2 areas 2' x 4' to start(same place), but will be 4' x 8' quickly. I guess a better long term question is how much room (spacing) does a mature plant need?

Ill post some pics tomorrow once the setup area is complete.

If you have a black bucket, I'd put those clear buckets into the black ones just to shield from light and just lift it up when you need to see the water level and what not.

I'm also abit weary as to the pots you chose... Those are regular pots with a couple extra holes in them. A net pot has very little surface area and alot of slits and openings for roots to escape. You will really choke up your plant if you are wanting the roots to go through those 10 holes in the bottom of the pot. Have a look at some of the other dwc setups here where people show the rootballs. You will be surprised at the size they get to, they will fill your 15L bucket. You really don't want to cage the root system in. I'd also invest in some bigger lighting. Get some second hand MH/HPS setups. You're gonna need alot of lumens.

Sarge said:
If you have a black bucket, I'd put those clear buckets into the black ones just to shield from light and just lift it up when you need to see the water level and what not.

I'm also abit weary as to the pots you chose... Those are regular pots with a couple extra holes in them. A net pot has very little surface area and alot of slits and openings for roots to escape. You will really choke up your plant if you are wanting the roots to go through those 10 holes in the bottom of the pot. Have a look at some of the other dwc setups here where people show the rootballs. You will be surprised at the size they get to, they will fill your 15L bucket. You really don't want to cage the root system in. I'd also invest in some bigger lighting. Get some second hand MH/HPS setups. You're gonna need alot of lumens.
Clear buckets gone, switched to Lowes dark blue

Those pots were the only available around that day. Have switched to regular nets also

Added to 4' 4-bulb T8's - but looking into upgrades now

Thanks for the help :P

New pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/108210399764936390185/albums/5936549244656283249

Back