wine jalapeno wine recipes

Well I have an over abundance of jalapenos and interested in a good wine recipe, anyone have any idea without adding other fruits or juice????

O.k. decided why not just do it I figured I want 100% jalapenos so I just went with the basic plan.

200 jalapenos chopped and water added to keep loose, 1 cup of lemon juice, 1 tbsp tartaric acid,almost 7 lbs of sugar and 3 gal. water to bring starting hydrometer reading to 1.114 , added 3 campden tablets so my wort is set will add champagne yeast tomarrow.

Wow it's just pure jalapeños pretty much.. I'm curious how that will turn out. It'll be some very spicy wine.

We shall see, I have done a bit of research and most is just used for cooking (deglasing and meat tenderizing) I set it so the final should end up at about 14% alcohol I have 3 1/2 gallons to be exact now I have it in the bucket with the wine yeast ( actually using Champagne yeast) it took almost 9 lbs of sugar (so my above # {7lbs}is wrong because I needed more after letting it sit over night) to get the starting gravity right so the yeast has plenty of food. Hell why not it'll be fun to see what it ends up, for now it looks like Ghostbusters slime....

Sorry another mistake, it should have been 1.114 a potential of 14% yesterday I racked it over and the gravity was at 1.04 its in the secondary and wanted to post a picture but having a real problem with putting images on here
Big D said:
Wow it's just pure jalapeños pretty much.. I'm curious how that will turn out. It'll be some very spicy wine.
I tasted a bit when I racked it over still sweet and hot, tingled my lips tongue and felt like whiskey going down

I'm not sure how the gallery works, but for basic posts there's 2 ways to add pics.  upload your image to photobucket, flickr etc, then copy the IMG code as described in the link I posted.  Come back to THP and paste the code right into the text of your post.

the other option is- start your "reply" post, then click Use Full Editor.  At the bottom is a section to Upload Image.  You Browse (your computer), select image, click [upload???] to THP which will add it at the bottom of your post.  You can upload up to 10 [I think] images this way.  they will all stack up at the bottom of your post unless you do the following-

As you're typing the text of your reply and you have the images uploaded and waiting in the Full Editor mode....when you get to a point in your text that you want to insert a picture, click the "Add To Post" next to the image at the bottom.  It will insert the image.  i like to then hit the Enter bar a couple times to get the image isolated from the text.  If you start typing right after the image code, words are added next to the image and things get spaced out funky.

Hope this helps~

O.k. gonna give it a whirl to post a couple pics here is the wort ( start of the wine ) 
1375166_4987750069888_512025026_n.jpg

And this one is from last week when I racked it over to the secondary
DSCN4388.jpg

I will be straining over and resetting to sit for 2 months tomarrow will post pics there after, sorry I am a bit slow and not so great with all this new tech-no stuff

Well it sat for 2 weeks and just racked over again today its at 1.02 I added a bit of yeast energizer because it should have already been down closer to 1.01 or 1.00 pic of the secondary looks mostly the same just a bit clearer, hopefully the energizer kicks the yeast back into gear, I did taste it and wow!!! Its slightly sweet but tingles the mouth and goes down like a shot of whiskey, warm all the way down to the belly... Its at 12% alcohol now so normal wine percentage just a bit unfinished, its gonna sit now for 2 months and then I should rack the last time before bottling....

Jan 25th and I completed the jalapeno wine, gravity checked out at 1.00 

the taste is pretty good the heat has increased and is tough to take down a whole ounce... Sooooooo  

14% alcohol with a heck of a kick, think it will definitely be a cooking wine only but sure there will be plenty that just gotta try a big swig

Here are a few pics
DSCN4526.JPG

DSCN4525.JPG

thanks for posting the finished product.  The color cleaned up very nicely.  I was pretty worried looking at the carboy pic. :lol: But not having made wines before, I had no idea how it would end up. 

Does it have a "green" taste?  I bet it would be good with red jalapenos.   

Your welcome Salsalady, the clarity I hoped would have been even better, but my second attempt at making wine and sure I will learn. As far as taste it tastes like a wine but can taste the clean jalapeno taste, its hard to describe, I think red jalapenos would make a nice rose' color and maybe take less sugar for fermentation but I think taste would be similar.

Last night with friends at our local hang out, Kitty O'Reilly's (Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin) we took a bottle in and tried it with friends and though of a few ideas and one that worked well was 1/3 pickle juice to 2/3 the wine an awesome pickled jalapeno shot.
Another idea and yet to try is the wine with tomatoe juice and just not use the vodka so you have a jalapeno Mary.
Cooking though tonight with some beef so I will use it tonight for deglazing should be great... 

Wow. Im impressed! I would of never thought of that. I may have to try this out just for the novelty of it. Great post!

Interesting... For me any pepper used in beer/wine/whatever where the pepper is more than subtle is only suitable for cooking. But a great cooking wine it will be I'm sure

In my humble opinion ,I believe that no hot pepper is destinened to be a mere drinking wine. Think about it ,drinking wines are made of juices that could be drank as juice! Yet hot peppers are used to enhance the flavor of foods!......I bet with a little work you could make an awesome vinegrette to put on a salad that was covered in cheddar cheese!........better yet ,make vinager out of some of this wine and spray it on nachos ,French fries, burritos,fish or add it to salsa!

baylor said:
Wow. Im impressed! I would of never thought of that. I may have to try this out just for the novelty of it. Great post!
TY, it was fun and worth a try. I am going to do it again because every bottle went, friends have been cooking up a storm with it and they love it.
HigherThisHeat said:
Interesting... For me any pepper used in beer/wine/whatever where the pepper is more than subtle is only suitable for cooking. But a great cooking wine it will be I'm sure
Yes it is a bit powerful but very good with tomato juice and have mixed a few other ways but definitely not for straight up drinking
nate6279 said:
That's real cool. What if you made it with a milder pepper?
I have a recipe for Green pepper wine sure you could blend a few jalapenos in for a bit of heat, as far as yeast and food, anything is possible, and how much is a packet of yeast and sugar, not all that much, and during the cold winters up here, its just something to do...
Howletzer1 said:
In my humble opinion ,I believe that no hot pepper is destinened to be a mere drinking wine. Think about it ,drinking wines are made of juices that could be drank as juice! Yet hot peppers are used to enhance the flavor of foods!......I bet with a little work you could make an awesome vinegrette to put on a salad that was covered in cheddar cheese!........better yet ,make vinager out of some of this wine and spray it on nachos ,French fries, burritos,fish or add it to salsa!
Its whatever your mind desires, if I had any left I was planning to make it into vinegar but all of its gone, it seemed with the last bottle just in the short time it mellowed in flavor, but the same powerful heat, so next time a larger batch will be made
Just wanted to say TY to all the replies to the experiment, it was fun, and as life should be everyday a learning experience.Best wishes to all and let me know if any of you try to do the same, will share my notes on all brix levels and amounts. CHEERS!!!! to all

Back