• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tepin x lemon drop (new f3s in the dirt)

For those those of you that don't know i planted a tepin seed this january and it grew kinda funny. The first pod was elongated and i was highly upset it wasn't growing true. I had made a post in pepper I.D. and realize it had baccatum markings on the on thw flower and the only ones it was grown around was lemon drop.

CAM00423_zps5604b88e.jpg

Then i started getting pods and they're absolutely delicious! They have a super crunchy flesh and taste out of this world. Can't forget to mention the heat either! Wowzers! Hot up front like a tepin but mellows to the middle of the tongue with a nice fruity flavor.

CAM00753_zps2e2bb915.jpg

So its the end of the season and i really wanted some isolated seeds of this. I have a few from the first pods but didn't label "first pods" so i basically lost them.

Here's the plant today. I snatched its pods last night..

CAM01933_zps7d8fa44e.jpg

And its new haircut

CAM01935_zps9a9e6e24.jpg

Roots

CAM01937_zps29d11c91.jpg

After a bath and neem

CAM01938_zps12b58f4a.jpg

Under the lights with its new friends (reapers)

CAM01940_zpsbf12abe5.jpg

I left one small shoot sticking off and hopefully I'll get some hand pollinated seeds before jan.

Edited to follow topic

Nigel said:
Clones, we want clones.............

I was the lucky recipient of some of these pods and they are spectacular. 
Dammit Nigel! I didn't think about it and threw em in the dumpster. I'll be pruning at some time this winter and get it done!

I was a happy recipient, of almost a full box of these. Always took a few to work to snack on. I hope to grow this one next year for sure. I love tepins, but this is just even tastier, in other words a very nice combo.

, Walter

Some great things get discovered by accident, like penicilin (and LSD - just kidding :-P).

When I think about it, beside this cross, the douglah and pimenta de neyde were found by chance?

Not only do they taste good, i forgot to mention the plant put out tons of pods. There's a few guys that have received more than one box of them. Lol.. Got a few left on the counter but I'm kinda bumbed. Almost out! My poor eggs! LOL

Too bad you didn't make cuttings while pruning the f1, the army of clones would've been great & cheap Christmas presents. I hope the original survives for many years and you get to stabilize a good variety. If someone will be sending some seeds to Europe let me know.

This cross and the reaper x tepin are giving me ideas of great wild x superhot crosses :-P

Looks as if the plant is going to pull out of it! I was just looking it over and found this! Sorry its a crappy shot but all i could get the phone to zoom in on was my hand. Oh well.. Lol

CAM02010_zpseb903ab2.jpg

So now that I know its alive i have a noob question for the more seasoned gardeners. Idk if any one knows for sure because of the variety but how long do you guys think it will take to get a ripe pod from this stage? Will it just take off within a couple weeks and start budding or is it going to take a while to get adjusted to the new environment?

Thanks mike

I have been planning on keeping up with this thread during my attempt for isolated seeds. Looks like i forgot to post my last pic around a week ago.

CAM02102_zps25f25ae8.jpg

here she is today!

CAM02154_zps8af42996.jpg

I was just looking it over and i even have a tiny bud!

CAM02156_zpsec252958.jpg

I'll report back in a week or so with progress. Until then I'm wondering what you guys think? Since the plant is pushing a year and has thrown hundreds of pods what are the chances of it dropping the first flowers because of all the stress i put it through? Or is there a chance the plant shouldn't care because its healthy?

Back