Treasures from Ghana, part 2

Hi there:

My good friend Stanley Okyere in Kumasi sent me some more locally collected seeds from Ghana.  This is the result of an an experiment I'm trying, where I'm looking into different ways of collecting seed varieties that wouldn't be accessible to the outside world. Stanley got seed collecting equipment, supplies, and training (plus a couple nice gifts for his trouble) and I asked him to get what he thought was "really cool" from his local region. I also traded a lot of varieties from my own collection, which he was excited to try out.

Outside of Ashanti Region, these varieties are about as new and rare as they come. I'm also trying them for the first time, so I can't give many insights into the flavors, other than what Stanley has told me. Like I said, this is an experiment. For as long as they last, I'm offering the following varieties for trade. My list is updated, so let me know if you're interested.

Capsicum chinense, var. "Mako bun" (="green pepper".) Collected at
Mankranso, Ahafo Ano South District, Ashanti Region, Ghana
(6°49′N 1°52′W)
This is an "evergreen" variety of habanero.The peppers you see below are ripe (for scale, the 1 cedi coin in the picture is 26 mm in diameter, or about the size of a quarter.) Until I saw this, I had never heard of a green ripening chinense variety.
10493486113_f1551672c5_o.jpg
10493279705_0fe92a3776_n.jpg

Capsicum chinense, var. "small red pepper". Collected at a street market at [SIZE=11pt]Breman, Kumasi, Ashanti Region, Ghana[/SIZE] ([SIZE=11pt]6°40′N 1°37′W[/SIZE])
This one is hot, and with a very distinctive flavor.
10493295486_d97bb47972_n.jpg
10493286155_9cde255ab5_n.jpg

I also grew out all of the varieties that I originally collected in 2011 in Ghana, and have plenty of seeds for kpakpo shito, mako kokoo, and mako akokɔsrade. Plus, Ghanaian tomatoes and "garden eggs", all for trade. Drop me a message if you're interested. :)

J.T.
  I grew your 'mako kokoo' this season - a very hearty plant - attractive medium size glossy pods with a distinct flavor.
It makes great salsa.  PLENTY of heat yet still blends into sauces with a 'smooth' flavor, no bite or bitterness.  I like it a lot!
Thanks for sharing this with us  :party: .

Hi there Mr Delaney
I got 3 of the 8 seeds that you sent me from last year to bear fruit. The Jotico; Santa Cruz; and Pinia de Perro; the last of which produced well---thanks
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Balac_1/media/2013%20peppers/AjiJovitoDelaney.jpg.html
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Balac_1/media/2013%20peppers/AjiSantaCruzDelany.jpg.html
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Balac_1/media/2013%20peppers/AjiPiniadePerroDelaney.jpg.html

I would also like to try some of your new Ghana green
Capsicum chinense, var. "Mako bun" (="green pepper".) Collected at
Mankranso, Ahafo Ano South District, Ashanti Region, Ghana
(6°49′N 1°52′W)

as to trade I have some little tiny peppers about 1 cm x 0.5 cm that I call Baileys Tepin because they fall off the plant without the stem---and they are a hot little bugger---like 9 on a scale of 10
I also have some Brown/Black Jalapeno that I like because of the color
Also some black Primo Tepin and blac Tepin that are kind of cool---not as hot though as the Baileys but both have great variegated blue vegitation

thanks

Thank you for the interesting introduction to these peppers. Just yesterday I got to eat a Mako Kokoo sent to me by SanPatricio. A very good pepper that I hope to work in to my grow soon.

Those mako buns are awesome. ... I have a fetish for green peppers lol let me know if you decide to share/trade any please!

Those mako akoksrade also look awesome! I love seeing peppers like this instead of the typical superhots pop up

Joe,

From seeds you sent, I grew mako kokoo and mako akokɔsrade this year. The mako akokɔsrade has produced well with smallish yellow pods. The mako kokoo has been slower, but now has plenty of pods that I hope will ripen before the first frost, which will be coming soon. I didn't have as much luck with the tomato seeds.

I echo other folks' sentiments---you're doing us all a great service by making these seeds available.

Thanks again,
Tom

kentishman said:
I echo other folks' sentiments---you're doing us all a great service by making these seeds available.

Thanks again,
Tom
Aw shucks -- thanks! Notes like this mean a lot to me. There will be more offers coming very shortly -- a second round of new varieties from Panama, a big batch of goodies from Venezuela, and other places I'll keep a secret for now. :)

hey joe now you have got me salivating :drooling:
You know it's not nice to make a grown man droooool.
I sure will be keeping an eye on this thread!

micca

Back