• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Epsom

Well I did a search on the web CVS has Epsom Salt $1.59 a Lb.
Now how much do I use?? 1 teaspoon per gallon?? I have to get it tonight because trying to fix the leaf curl and the not so green plants are driving me bonkers :lol::lol:

Can you use that in a hydro setup? I'd imagine my nutrients should actually be sufficient, but just wondering if there's anything I can add to make it "better" :lol:

MiLK_MaN said:
Can you use that in a hydro setup? I'd imagine my nutrients should actually be sufficient, but just wondering if there's anything I can add to make it "better" :lol:
It's actually not recommended, as it might cause an overdose. hydro food usually has plenty of magnesium.
Normally you would just use 1 teaspoon for every X liters of water.

Thanks for all the advice.Here is what I did.Got the epsom salt
put about 1/8th of a teaspoon of the salt into an empty 2 liter coke bottle with warm water gave each plant a very little bit into the soil then misted each plant very lightly with the mixture. Since I dont have Hydro food and the plant food i give my plants has no magnesium in it I figured thats the problem cause the get light from the grow light and real sunlight
its gotta be a magnesium deficancy some of the leaves already seem to be less curled already so Tomorrow I will let you all know if it is helping any
Tom

HotPeppersFlyFishing said:
Thanks for all the advice.Here is what I did.Got the epsom salt
put about 1/8th of a teaspoon of the salt into an empty 2 liter coke bottle with warm water gave each plant a very little bit into the soil then misted each plant very lightly with the mixture. Since I dont have Hydro food and the plant food i give my plants has no magnesium in it I figured thats the problem cause the get light from the grow light and real sunlight
its gotta be a magnesium deficancy some of the leaves already seem to be less curled already so Tomorrow I will let you all know if it is helping any
Tom

I hope this is the cure and they perk right up!!! Please let us know!

From DrHavangers link :

The History and Science of Epsom Salts

This natural mineral, discovered in the well water of Epsom, England, has been used for hundreds of years, not only to fertilize plants but to treat a range of human and animal ailments. Who hasn't soaked sore feet in it at least once? Chemically, Epsom salts is hydrated magnesium sulfate (about 10 percent magnesium and 13 percent sulfur). Magnesium is critical for seed germination and the production of chlorophyll, fruit, and nuts. Magnesium helps strengthen cell walls and improves plants' uptake of nitrogen, phosphorus, and sulfur.

I'm gonna try the epsom to see if this may help speed up germination.

I may be crazy but this seems like the "designer drug" for this season. Last year everyone was hyped on using hydrogen peroxide and everyone was talking about it. This year it is definately epsom salts. Just wondering what will be up next year. Don't take it like I am complaining or something, but it seems that something "new" becomes very trendy.

it isn't new at all actually.. it's been the farmers tool for a long time. and hydrogen peroxide is just to kill any possible negative bacteria..but also kills all bacteria including beneficial ones.

I was using peroxide every watering until I read on the botanicare fertilize brochure that it said "do not use peroxide" with the fertilize.

I was using it to keep mold/mildew down...

Back