• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Baby Nagas/Bhuts Are NOT Hot!

Well I found that out!!! My stupid cat went and dug up ALL my baby Nagas ,Bhuts, and my only 2 Orange Manzanos! I could have killed her! I brought them in last night so in case it rains, they don't get flooded out. My 'bright' stepfather lets her out of the porch...against my request not to!!! And I find that she had removed everyone of them just like picking lettuce and placed them on the top of the soil!

So they have little or no hot oils in them,...as babies. Thats for sure! If anything they attract cats!! I replanted all of them,...and soaked them...so far they have actually 'come back to life', and I had them outside in the sun all day. I have a feeling that I am going to have a bunch of 'runts' in a few days.

Like the other post on here about the small Naga, the only survivor left after 17 died from damping off. I guess I should have sprayed them with the fungicide after all. Maybe the poison of copper would have stopped her from a night of digging/eating.:mad:

Yes I saw the reply that the baby pepper is like salad greens. BUT I didn't think my cat would pick them all out of the soil,and eat a few. I was worried about fungus ...not my cat attacking my babies:( I thought of the crushed pepper option...but it just happened and I guess I will have to try it. I wonder if sprinkling plain ground black pepper on them might do the trick?

yea, it will be pretty good at it, that's what i've done..

cats and dogs can be some of the most persistent plant lovers :), i've mostly just seen from curiosity more than wanting to eat it. heh.

still doesn't discount black peper, and other than the second link they all theorized about the outside chance that it may actually happen none from experience. and who said they would be using anything more than a very mild chile powder if used, i wouldn't use anything i wouldn't put in my eyes.. the point is to annoy or deter the animal not punish it.. the smell of pepper should deter the animal from the plants.. not the heat.

Back