• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Spaghetti with anchovies, capers and hot pepper

A classic of my home. Very fast, easy, strong and good taste!

Ingredients for 1 person:

iA3jKgtXATMBv.JPG

• 140g spaghetti
  • water
  • cooking salt
  • pepper (previously boiled on vinegar and stored away with oil, capers cured with salt, and anchovies)
  • evo oil
  • achovies (optional)
  • capers cured with salt (optional)
  • pepper and anchovies puree (optional)

iYyWUqTLgSnE3.JPG

It's very simple: you cut peppers, anchovies, put some capers, pepper anchovies puree, oil, stir with fork and then you let it be while you cook spaghetti.

iDGVxB7ydPrF5.gif

About water-salt quantity
in general we don't measure it we put it roughly. If you put too much salt you must put some other water or add salt if it's too less . Anyway a good measure is 1 L of water every 100g of pasta. I used 140g of spaghetti, 15g of cooking salt, around 1,5 L water and was fine. Take note that this is an higly salted recipe so you don't want to put too much salt, anyway it's a bad idea to cook pasta without salt. Consider too that my father who ate the dish likes very salted things, so it could be good for less salted toppings. Here good to have a bit of experience.

Cooking spaghetti:
I don't know how much in America you are used to cooking pasta nor which type you find... Let's say a thing: pasta producers are liars (just joking :D )! They often declare a cooking time wich is clearly shorter than proper one. Maybe because often if you cook it too much it sucks,
especially for cheapest one.
Timing should start when water resumes boiling again, not when you put pasta on water. Still, often you need to cook more than indicated.
If you cook it in high mountain it is likely to cook worse... Less atmosphear, less boiling temperature, not good.
As for spaghetti i broke them in half because it is easier to cook. Someone would say it's an abomination, but frankly i don't care and there's not this remarkable difference.
  • You boil some water 
  • When it boils you put the salt
  • then you put spaghetti and cook it for the right time
  • it's better to start counting time when water resumes to boil. Obviously it's a bad thing if you put the pasta and the water resumes after minutes, so it's bettter to have a good fire. And don't trust time... Taste to know if it's cooked.
  • IMPORTANT: stir often, spaghetti must not stick to each others! A large pan is good for this.
ib1SymnQV6PdtI.jpg

Again with cooking time and spaghetti kind:

ibkIUhP6KMVvTw.jpg

I used Molisana squared spaghetti alla chitarra, they are excellent, maybe my favs of  the ones you can find in supermarket. They are large and have huge tolerance at high cooking times. Other times i use thinner ones, spaghettini, they are fine as described in 5 minutes, they are al dente and good.
This ones are estimated in 13 minutes, i suppose al dente. In 13 minutes this stuff is not al dente, it's uncooked.
Here it is after 14-15 minutes:

ibdxDAlFp8NY0a.jpg

They are not ready! Here after 20 minutes:

ibn9OoKhiQi6OF.jpg

Definetely not overcooked, and if you strain water, put them on the dish then wait to eat for 10 minutes they still aren't overcooked.

Pay attention that with cheap pasta type it's easy to overcook (sometimes you feel them overcooked but stil not completely cooked, not a good thing) and it's a bad thing.

Join pasta with topping:
strain spaghetti, put them on the dish or topping on the pan along with pasta (of course without any water left!) and stir... Here the result:

ibzjqZTXkx3F8P.JPG

About optional ingredients:
Last 3 ingredients are listed as optionals. Instead you can use only them with fresh pepper or pepper powder. But prepared peppers has a distinctive flavors that is great for this recipe and you can use only them with evo oil. It' best to use all listed ingredient tough.

I grew up in an Italian household.  Ate tons of amazing food  But this is one of my all time favorites  Simple and delicious!

Essegi you are very close to becoming an honorary Texan!

I am probably along with you one of the few people on this forum that eat anchovies and capers on a regular basis.

So much flavor.

What most folks don't know is that anchovies are not only an ingredient contributor to the umami factor, but also one of the most healthy foods on the planet. 

And capers? Those are tiny tangy little flavor bombs. I use them liberally with seafood especially.

Simple foods are best.

:clap: 

texas blues said:
Essegi you are very close to becoming an honorary Texan!

I am probably along with you one of the few people on this forum that eat anchovies and capers on a regular basis.

So much flavor.

What most folks don't know is that anchovies are not only an ingredient contributor to the umami factor, but also one of the most healthy foods on the planet. 

And capers? Those are tiny tangy little flavor bombs. I use them liberally with seafood especially.

Simple foods are best.

:clap:
Thanks! :D
Standig ovation for last sentence btw!

To tell the truth strangely i don't like capers but in this recipe they are mandatory.

Anchovy could be top healthy fish indeed: probably best omega3/money ratio.

Here are used achovies in oil son i don't know how much healthy they are...

If you likes sardines (wich are close to anchovies and you could use them here) you should check this recipe, it's from my place in NE Italy: http://www.alwaysnewyou.com/active_you/healthy_eating/super_foods/super-food-recipe-venetian-style-marinated-sardines.html

I love sardines!

I only buy the tins that are either packed in olive oil or water.

The ones packed in cottonseed or soybean oil are bunk.

As I know they don't hold up fresh as other fish do, we don't have availability of fresh sardines here in Texas.

I eat the tinned ones usually 2-3 times a week.

I drain off a little of the oil or water, (which goes into my dogs bowl, she loves it!) and splash 'em heavily with hot sauce.

They also are great on a tortilla with shredded cabbage and cilantro with healthy squeezin's of lime.

Come to think of it, I just realized that with the exception of having my beloved cheeseburger once every month or two, I'm pretty much a pescetarian, i.e. a vegetarian that also eats seafood.

Very similar to a mediterranean diet I reckon and one that enabled me to lower my cholesterol, blood pressure, and lose over 50 pounds.

I feel great!

Yeah, me too! I was overweight and i went to a dietist that said i should eat fish rich in omega 3 (like Salmon or Tuna or sardines) 3 times at week (and other stuff).
In 3 months with this diet i went from 95 to 80kg and now that i eat a little more i'm stable.

Essegi said:
Yeah, me too! I was overweight and i went to a dietist that said i should eat fish rich in omega 3 (like Salmon or Tuna or sardines) 3 times at week (and other stuff).
In 3 months with this diet i went from 95 to 80kg and now that i eat a little more i'm stable.

THP'ers! Are y'all payin' attention?

This man knows! That's more than a 30 pound loss!

A mediterranean diet with lots of veggies, legume's, seafood, and of course good olive oil, will get you where you want to be.

Eat that and you can still have your cheeseburger every once in a while.

And a good glass or two of nebbiolo, barbera, or sangiovese ain't a bad 'thang either!

Way to go Essegi

Thanks! Only to clarify things: true that i had loss over 30 pounds, but with VERY measured rations, no sweets, no pointless fats.
I had a schedule to follow from a doctor (an expert one i would say... He had been a dietist for 43 years!) specific for me (well, i had no particular problems, aside i was too static and i ate too much). Pasta was a critical part of diet (only at lunch and only 80g).
He said that hot pepper is an excellent aliment.
But very important to walk at least half an hour at day. Very important to move (walk is better than anything else).

PS: worst thing ever: you are on a diet and you go with you friends, they eat grilled meat...

Is this thread turning into the diet thread? Lol

I dropped 45. Lean proteins, lots of veg, and small amounts of good carbs. It's amazing that after following this for about a week you start to crave the good foods. As tex said, the occasional splurg on a burger or whatever is needed. Moderation is the key to life. It is also crazy how my improved diet drastically changed my attitude, motivation, and outlook on life!

Keep at it guys!

Ooh, nice one Husker!
The Hot Pepper said:
Awesome putanesca.
Thanks.
I wouldn't call it puttanesca, there are no garlic nor olives, biggest difference is that you don't cook sauce. The rest is similar, but feeling is quite different.;)

Nice simple presentation...but has the look of an excellent dish.
I too dig Anchovies, sauteed smashed on bread, in red sauce or just plain ole on a Met salad.......asking for extra in a resturant, can draw attention...lol
Not a big Sardine fancier, but I can rifle thru a can of Genova Tuna in Olive Oil. Who needs crackers ?
All this fine display and quality talk has got me thinking of a Zuppa di Pesce...
Dang...No cooler with ice in my car... I may just have to pickup for some Baby Octopus,
That will travel well with added crushed ice.

Balsamic with Baby over Alder Wood tonight...

That looks awesome! I will definitely give this a whirl. One question - would you grate some Parmesan on the top?

Italy's on the bucket list - I want to eat my way across the country (and see the sights of course).

I will be looking from some other Italian recipes from you.

Thanks!

Bob

Bob_B said:
That looks awesome! I will definitely give this a whirl. One question - would you grate some Parmesan on the top?

Italy's on the bucket list - I want to eat my way across the country (and see the sights of course).

I will be looking from some other Italian recipes from you.

Thanks!

Bob
Thanks! Sorry, i've noticed the reply only now.
No, i definetly won't put parmesan above. Only my dad uses cheese above this, but he's one of the craziest cheese lover i know...
Ah, i just want to want my way across my country too sooner or later! There's an insane amount of kind of meals in Italy.
If you pass through Veneto be sure to check Bigoli all'anatra, sopressa (be sure to hava an high qulity or it will suck. Otherwise is the best salami like thing), baccalà alla Vicentina, sarde in saor, risotto radicchio salsiccia to name a few! Maybe we have the less spectacular culnary art in Italy, but there's plenty of good things anyway!
And grilled meat too, here in Veneto cooks are excellent at that!
Hot stuff isn't really part of our cooking culture btw (it's o southern).

Thanks for bumping this thread.  Now I know what I am making for dinner tonight.  This recipe never gets old.  :)

Did this up last night with anchovies, capers, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, yellow primo, evoo, s&p.  I ate WAY more than I should have.  lol  So good.

Back