• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music Why does Britain always have the best music artists?

My family and I have been wondering that for years... specifically the best proggressive rock.

But we own the jazz scene XD

Not sure I buy into that "always" part. I can't think of too many modern Brit bands I like at all. In fact, I can't think of any. I guess it depends on your taste in music. If you like Coldplay and Radiohead well then..... have at it. Not my style.

Black Crowes, Tool, Blackberry Smoke, Down, Pantera..... that's more my style. All American, baby!

Well....not ALWAYS, did not mean to put it that way. But i see where you all are coming from.

Give me some Pantera any day, or maybe some Deftones or even some old Metallica. I love Tool by the way, lots of memories there.

But it seems when I hear something new that I like, it is usually something from that region. And yes, I do mean the Radiohead vibe to an extent ( been getting more into dreamy stuff lately, I liked Radiohead for years.) . But I dont like Coldplay, so you can shelve that one.

It just seems when I find things that are new, most of them are from there.

I hear ya. I was really just tugging your chain a bit. I like most of the old British bands from the classic rock era - The Who, Zepplin, etc.

Dreamy, Euro-centric Prog Rock, not so much. But hey..... that's just me. I like Phil Collins, though! That's the stuff I grew up with.

I hope you're not relying on radio or MTV for your new music. That died a long time ago, and yes, they'd have you believe that Bieber is the best thing since The Beatles. There's killer music out there, and the US is a powerhouse, you just have to look a little harder these days. In fact you may never even discover what you're looking for and they may be from down the street. It's sad really.

In the UK it's a little better. Small area. Rap does not dominate, which leaves a void for rock to fill. They still have the pop, but good music still has its place, whatever the genre may be.

Try sites that have algorithms that find similar artists, and type in your favorite bands. Then listen to the channel that was created for you. You may be surprised.

Vodu said:
Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden... enough said ;)

I'll give you Priest , Sabbath and Maiden and raise you A7X, Metallica, Motley Crue,  Volbeat, G-nR, Kiss, The Doors Van Halen, et.al. 

Ocho Cinco said:
Pfffffttttt. Whatever.

I concur. 

The Brits have launched some highly successful bands, but I doubt they can match the talent pool of the US.  

Jeff H said:

I'll give you Priest , Sabbath and Maiden and raise you A7X, Metallica, Motley Crue,  Volbeat, G-nR, Kiss, The Doors Van Halen, et.al. 

I concur. 

The Brits have launched some highly successful bands, but I doubt they can match the talent pool of the US.  

I give you A7X, Metallica, Motley Crue, G-nR, Kiss, The Doors and Van Halen.

Volbeat - no, they are from Denmark :rolleyes:

I raise you Deep Purple, Motörhead, Ozzy Osbourne, Rainbow, Def Leppard, Diamond Head, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Queen, The Clash, Yes, ELO, Genesis, Sex Pistols, Ramones...

Don't get me wrong there are tons of great bands from the US, but I would bet more people know Def Leppard than A7X. Think female listeners...

Bottom line...who cares where they are from if they have kick ass tunes. :party:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, Diamond Head. I have an old CD around here somewhere of theirs. I doubt many know them though. 

Interesting about Volbeat. Especially with their wild west theme to the new album. 

Mostly great bands in this thread, regardless of their origin. 

Vodu said:

I give you A7X, Metallica, Motley Crue, G-nR, Kiss, The Doors and Van Halen.

Volbeat - no, they are from Denmark :rolleyes:

I raise you Deep Purple, Motörhead, Ozzy Osbourne, Rainbow, Def Leppard, Diamond Head, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Queen, The Clash, Yes, ELO, Genesis, Sex Pistols, Ramones...

Umm...The Ramones were from New York, Mister Rollyeyes. ;)  And who the eff is Rainbow???

How's about Bob FREAKING Dylan?  BOOM! 

Arguably the best songwriter ever is from Hibbing, Minnesota. :bold:

None of those British bands can touch Bob. I like many of them, but none have stood the test of time. Sure, you can say some still tour now and again, or played a Superbowl halftime, but they haven't made new music for ages. They had their short creative spurt and fizzled out rather quickly. Dylan is still constantly putting out new music and tours all the time.

Rainbow... :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  

The Hot Pepper said:
I hope you're not relying on radio or MTV for your new music. 

Nope. Indie College radio. A lot of underground artists, nothing like oasis or spacehog or any of that crap. And trust me I dig the classic rock and metal (those were and still are my FAVORITES) but that was not the point of this topic. And I know that there is a ton of great stuff in the US, I was just pointing out that a lot of the Britain music has great success, and I don't mean just what is played on MTV or "mainstream radio" which I never listen to by the way.

Judging by all the comments I recieved, perhaps this should be moved to Hot Button Topics?   ;)

muskymojo said:

Umm...The Ramones were from New York, Mister Rollyeyes. ;)  And who the eff is Rainbow???

How's about Bob FREAKING Dylan?  BOOM! 

Arguably the best songwriter ever is from Hibbing, Minnesota. :bold:

None of those British bands can touch Bob. I like many of them, but none have stood the test of time. Sure, you can say some still tour now and again, or played a Superbowl halftime, but they haven't made new music for ages. They had their short creative spurt and fizzled out rather quickly. Dylan is still constantly putting out new music and tours all the time.

Rainbow... :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  
Yeah I was thinking Sex Pistols and typed Ramones...my bad. :shh:

Who the eff is Rainbow...?!? Seriously...?  http://www.allmusic.com/artist/rainbow-mn0000391933

Ritchie Blackmore, Ronnie James Dio...?  The Man on the Silver Mountain, Kill the King, Long Live Rock and Roll, Lady in the Lake...those ring any bells?

Maiden, Priest Sabbath, Motorhead to name a few are STILL touring and selling out everywhere.  Sabbath just released a new album as did Motorhead.  Maiden and Priest last year...no new music?!?

As I said before who cares where they are from as long as they put out good tunes... :high:

Jeff H said:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, Diamond Head. I have an old CD around here somewhere of theirs. I doubt many know them though. 

Interesting about Volbeat. Especially with their wild west theme to the new album. 

Mostly great bands in this thread, regardless of their origin. 
Don't know them....come on without Diamond Head, there is NO Metallica. :tear:

The problem I have with Volbeat, and I have seen them twice in concert, is after about 4 songs they just start to grate on me for some reason...their new album is interesting, but I was pretty neutral on it, the wife likes it though...

Vodu said:

The problem I have with Volbeat, and I have seen them twice in concert, is after about 4 songs they just start to grate on me for some reason...their new album is interesting, but I was pretty neutral on it, the wife likes it though...

QFT on Diamond Head. I found the old album. Copyritght 1979 and this CD is from 1992. Chances are that a few Metallica fans might recognize a song or two. 

20131106_194420.jpg

I haven't seen Volbeat in concert, but I really like most of their music. Probably mostly because it is different. There is no one out there that sounds anything like their lead singer. 

Vodu said:
As I said before who cares where they are from as long as they put out good tunes... :high:

I agree. I couldn't care less where they are from.  A little friendly smack talk is fun once in a while though.

Vodu said:
Yeah I was thinking Sex Pistols and typed Ramones...my bad. :shh:

Who the eff is Rainbow...?!? Seriously...?  http://www.allmusic.com/artist/rainbow-mn0000391933

Ritchie Blackmore, Ronnie James Dio...?  The Man on the Silver Mountain, Kill the King, Long Live Rock and Roll, Lady in the Lake...those ring any bells?

Maiden, Priest Sabbath, Motorhead to name a few are STILL touring and selling out everywhere.  Sabbath just released a new album as did Motorhead.  Maiden and Priest last year...no new music?!?

Maiden freaking kick arse live! Got to see them in Brisbane not long before I moved here, then again while on holidays back home 2 1/2 years ago. The amount of energy they put into a live performance is incredible!
Need to throw Cradle of Filth in as well for another awesome English band. Simply because they're my favourite band lol. 

Jeff H said:

QFT on Diamond Head. I found the old album. Copyritght 1979 and this CD is from 1992. Chances are that a few Metallica fans might recognize a song or two. 

20131106_194420.jpg

I haven't seen Volbeat in concert, but I really like most of their music. Probably mostly because it is different. There is no one out there that sounds anything like their lead singer. 
 One time I saw them in concert, they were touring with Motorhead...Lemmy cancelled that night, but Michael Poulsen (lead singer) did his best Lemmy impersonation and they played the first verse of Ace of Spades and the crowd went wild...

MeatHead1313 said:

Maiden freaking kick arse live! Got to see them in Brisbane not long before I moved here, then again while on holidays back home 2 1/2 years ago. The amount of energy they put into a live performance is incredible!
Need to throw Cradle of Filth in as well for another awesome English band. Simply because they're my favourite band lol. 
 Cradle is decent, their newer stuff is too goth for me...

Yeah Maiden...best band in the world :surprised: Seen them 4 times, never a disappointment.

Hallowed Be Thy Name on vinyl will freakin send chills down your spine...and I am not taking about your old Snoopy record player either.
This is what you listen to vinyl on...

DSC00857-small.jpg

Back